Brick Mansions (District B13 Remake) (2014)

AlbertV

Guest Markgway
Yes, they had filmed Brick Mansions in the spring. It is now in post-production..will not be surprised if Besson and crew dedicate the film in Walker's memory.

It would be remiss if they didn't.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A release date is set: April 25, 2014

Relativity and EuropaCorp are making a donation, including the cost of the film's premiere to Paul Walker's ReachOut Worldwide Charity.

Official plot:

“Brick Mansions” is set in a dystopian Detroit, where abandoned brick mansions left from better times now house only the most dangerous criminals. Unable to control the crime, the police constructed a colossal containment wall around this area to protect the rest of the city. For undercover cop Damien Collier (Walker) every day is a battle against corruption. For Lino (Belle), every day is a fight to live an honest life. Their paths never should have crossed, but when drug kingpin, Tremaine (RZA) kidnaps Lino’s girlfriend, Damien reluctantly accepts the help of the fearless ex-convict, and together they must stop a sinister plot to devastate the entire city.

Source: The Wrap

I've seen an early trailer for this. Looks alright but Paul isn't really doing parkour.....but he is driving cars fast & furious style. We'll also have to put up with the RZA yet again as a bad guy.

Before he died, Paul Walker said this about his parkour training with David Belle to prepare for the film:

"I've been training with David Belle from [French action film] District 13 - he's the father of parkour. He's just a flipping stud. We've been running around so much I've become part monkey. I'm a pretty agile guy, especially being taller and having done martial arts from about the age of 13, but Parkour is one of those sports that I wish I'd discovered sooner. When my nephew first showed me I thought, "Damn, I'm too old for this". But David's just turned 40 and I see his physicality, what he's capable of and I figure I can probably do it too. Obviously not as well as him because he's been doing it his whole life, but it's fun; it's a challenge. He's crazy."

And Paul's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor Ricardo Miller gave Paul's dad a posthumous Black Belt. So Paul is now a Paragon Black Belt...RIP...looking forward to seeing Brick Mansions in April. See Miller's article on it HERE

ShaOW!linDude

Meh. Hard to really tell what's happening sometimes. Looks like more poor editing.

Drunken Monk
Meh. Hard to really tell what's happening sometimes. Looks like more poor editing.

Agreed. They seem to want to show us as many shots as possible of the same move, so where a throw should just be say, a four second single shot, they're showing us four one second shots taken from different angles. It's not that it's bad, per se, it's just that it's UGLY.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Good for Paul Walker. I actually will watch this in theaters at least there is something else out there besides freaking comic book movies again/again/again/again.

Honestly after The Raid 1 & 2 this stuff doesn't cut it anymore. I felt no impact at all and it feels like a cheap knockoff of Cyril's fight. And I like Paul Walker......

ShaOW!linDude
Honestly after The Raid 1 & 2 this stuff doesn't cut it anymore. I felt no impact at all and it feels like a cheap knockoff of Cyril's fight. And I like Paul Walker......

See? That's exactly what I was afraid would happen. If you can't make a remake of the same caliber or better than the original film that "inspired" it, why bother? (Get ready for the Americanized version of THE RAID, people.)

What I don't get is, aren't most of these remakes bombing? How are so many still getting made? If people want to see the original they will see it or probably already own it. :squigglemouth:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
See? That's exactly what I was afraid would happen. If you can't make a remake of the same caliber or better than the original film that "inspired" it, why bother?

You said it man!

(Get ready for the Americanized version of THE RAID, people.)

Oh no. :crossedlips:

What I don't get is, aren't most of these remakes bombing? How are so many still getting made? If people want to see the original they will see it or probably already own it. :squigglemouth:

The studios think "It was a hit in it's home country! We'll make it in English and everyone will give us their money!" :neutral: Which is often sad but true. :squigglemouth: Right now one of the best action films I've ever seen is bombing in the theater. Why? I'd say mainly because it's subtitled.

ShaOW!linDude
So is this movie any good?

Eric Jacobus pretty much panned it on his FB page. (I honestly had no intention of seeing this anyway.) He essentially said the fight scenes were hyper-edited and full of quick cuts and that for the most part all the parkour was sub-par to the original though it was decent in places.

I know a lot of folks were kind of hyped for this as it's one of Paul Walker's last films. FF7 will probably be a more fitting tribute though.

Secret Executioner

It's playing in a local theater but very little (barely once a day) and at impossible hours, while people tried to create hype around it when it was released some two weeks ago. I understand why now: the film looks pretty bad... Figured I could try and go see it but in the end, I guess I won't. :squigglemouth:

Archived