Request: Theatrical Print of Enter the Dragon

sdog2006

Yep exactly.

Enter the Dragon was shown in it's theatrical entirety in 1984. I watched half of it in the morning, as a nine year old, and the other half when I got home from school and every day thereafter for months.

At that time The Exorcist was still available to rent, as well as I Spit On Your Grave etc. Film banishment and censorship kicked in to full force from 1985 onwards, if I remember correctly.

Rank Released the Hong Kong Flicks again in 1987 and they were chopped up even worse and ETD was released in 1988 by Warner with nunchakas missing and the Bolo vs. Guards scene truncated.

The date Enter was first shown on ITV was 18th December 1984 at 10.30pm, I know because I watched/taped it at the time, full screeen pan & scan and UNCUT. I only got rid of the tape when I got the first Region 1 (flipper) release back in 1998?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The date Enter was first shown on ITV was 18th December 1984 at 10.30pm, I know because I watched/taped it at the time, full screeen pan & scan and UNCUT. I only got rid of the tape when I got the first Region 1 (flipper) release back in 1998?

Sounds so silly but I remember it like it was yesterday. Crazy!!!!!!!!!

dbmaster514

I have this on laserdisc, it does NOT have the monk scene but the title credits are RED not WHITE like this site says. I think it should be the theatrical cut (released in 1993) but I am unsure. Any ideas?

I have this on laserdisc, it does NOT have the monk scene but the title credits are RED not WHITE like this site says. I think it should be the theatrical cut (released in 1993) but I am unsure. Any ideas?

Yeah mate, that's the one.

A member of this board flipped the laser disc on to DVD and sent it to me last year.

If the running time of the 40th anniversary edition is anything to go by then that may be the theatrical print. I doubt it though.

I have an old UK pre-cert video if that is any good to you? Or as mentioned above a NTSC P&S Laserdisc!

I have an old UK pre-cert video if that is any good to you? Or as mentioned above a NTSC P&S Laserdisc!

Thanks mate.

Since this thread went up I managed to get the old pre cert in perfect condition. Cost me £55 but worth every penny.

Thanks mate.

Since this thread went up I managed to get the old pre cert in perfect condition. Cost me £55 but worth every penny.

No problem mate, glad you managed to find it! I have a couple of ETD per-certs, I would like to get a better condition one but they are hard to obtain these days! Do you have any of the Rank releases? I love the artwork for those! :bigsmile:

I remember when i first saw it then aswell staying up and watching it on a school night was a treat i loved it lol and was hooked.

No problem mate, glad you managed to find it! I have a couple of ETD per-certs, I would like to get a better condition one but they are hard to obtain these days! Do you have any of the Rank releases? I love the artwork for those! :bigsmile:

I still need the cast card for Enter the Dragon that came with the first release (Black card with white writing)

I have the 1982 Rank versions of The Big Boss, Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon in good condition and the original artwork for Way of the Dragon and Game of Death. The tape for Game of Death keeps elluding me.

Guest Markgway

I first saw ENTER taped from an early hours ITV screening in 1990.

Was that the cut version? I don't remember.

I loved the film and became an instant Bruce obsessive.

Soon after I bought this VHS:

e_cover.jpg

I first saw ENTER taped from an early hours ITV screening in 1990.

Was that the cut version? I don't remember.

I loved the film and became an instant Bruce obsessive.

Soon after I bought this VHS:

e_cover.jpg

I have this video, nice artwork but it is cut to pieces - for some reason more than the other edited editions! On the rear of the sleeve at the bottom it says "BBFC edited version" they ain't wrong there! :xd:

I remeber buying a big box original in 1986 (my first mail order movie) when it came it was the censored version, i was gutted.

This was before they changd the artwork.

Guest Markgway
I remeber buying a big box original in 85 / 86 (my first mail order movie) when it came it was the censored version, i was gutted.

This was before they changd the artwork.

The VHS censored version wasn't officially passed by the BBFC until 31/1/88.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/enter-dragon-1970-7

img183.jpg

Was there a rental (big box) version released before 1988? And was it the X-rated cinema version? The BBFC/1984 VRA gave distributors/retailers up to two years to unload stock, so, in theory in 1986 you should've been still able to buy the uncut pre-cert (1981). How did the post-VRA rental version differ in appearance from the pre-cert, I wonder?

EDIT: According to this site:

http://www.pre-cert.co.uk/cgi-bin/cms/Film/74782

A cut rental version was introduced in 1982!

Does anyone know why the uncut edition was replaced before it was mandatory?

This is the first release

picture.php?albumid=202&pictureid=6554

and this is the one i bought (not the exact one i don`t have it anymore)

picture.php?albumid=202&pictureid=6563

picture.php?albumid=202&pictureid=6562

Please ignore the 18 stickers, mine was new so had none of them on.

you can see it says 18 on the back.

The running time quoted is 9 mins longer than the original lol

Yeah the alleged 86 minute version actually runs 99 minutes and, as you said, it's the full theatrical print.

I had the 1984 TV version uncut but my Dad got it caught in the video recorder a couple of years later and it snapped. In 1986 I arranged to buy the pre cert from a local video store for £8 and when I returned with the cash he said he'd "destroyed" it, whatever the f*ck that means!

He's lucky I didn't destroy him but I was about eleven at the time.

Anyway I bought a mint version from Ebay for £55 and it is masterclass. Twenty six years had passed :)

I remeber when everything un certified got taken off the shelfs.

There was this big video shop in rotherham it put everything that was for sale in this little room downstairs, i was brought up with manners so i let this woman go ahead of me. she went straight to the only copy of fist of fury.. gutted once again. lol

Guest Markgway

For someone who grew up in the VHS era (like me, born 1979) this is interesting stuff.

So was your cut rental edited the same as the 1988 tape I bought or differently?

I forget now but the chucks had gone and maybe the eye bulge where bolo squeezes the last guard.

I don`t think it was a rental version because i bought it from a mail order supplier brand new. paid £18 for it left me with £4 after i paid my mum board that week lol.

I never owned your version so i can`t answer, the next version i bought was the silver sleeved widescreen edition.

sifu iron perm
This is the first release

picture.php?albumid=202&pictureid=6554

and this is the one i bought (not the exact one i don`t have it anymore)

picture.php?albumid=202&pictureid=6563

picture.php?albumid=202&pictureid=6562

Please ignore the 18 stickers, mine was new so had none of them on.

you can see it says 18 on the back.

The running time quoted is 9 mins longer than the original lol

i have this in my collection..

sifu iron perm
The VHS censored version wasn't officially passed by the BBFC until 31/1/88.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/enter-dragon-1970-7

img183.jpg

Was there a rental (big box) version released before 1988? And was it the X-rated cinema version? The BBFC/1984 VRA gave distributors/retailers up to two years to unload stock, so, in theory in 1986 you should've been still able to buy the uncut pre-cert (1981). How did the post-VRA rental version differ in appearance from the pre-cert, I wonder?

EDIT: According to this site:

http://www.pre-cert.co.uk/cgi-bin/cms/Film/74782

A cut rental version was introduced in 1982!

Does anyone know why the uncut edition was replaced before it was mandatory?

remind me if this was the cover with the paint work of bruce and a dragon as oppose to the original artwork with the the cast..

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Enter-The-Dragon-VHS-/00/s/MTAwMFg5OTk=/$T2eC16NHJGQE9noMZGd5BQ1cFC1Myw~~60_35.JPG

greenbamboo

I got a copy of the uncut ENTER that was shown on ITV in 1984. I got it at school of a friend around 1988 on VHS. This was rare at the time as a newbie BL fan as it included the nunchaka. Not sure where it is now LOL. I also got the first UK RANK release of Fist of Fury that was uncut - copied that from a video shop. It wasn't until the Tracking the Dragon 1990 convention that I first saw bruce v dan inosanto nunchaka duel from GOD 78. I also bought WAY uncut at that convention if I remember correctly - Shaolin Video.

Archived