Request: Theatrical Print of Enter the Dragon

sdog2006

Hi Guys

Do any of you have an excellent quality theatrical version of Enter the Dragon?

Just to clarify, not that any of you need it, no Monk scenes included and the original music score?

Any help appreciated.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nearest to it available on dvd is the HKL/DeAgostini version that came with the HKL magazine(UK). No monk scene and just a tiny bit of the 'extended' mirrors scene. It seems to be a an edit of the two versions. Can still be found on ebay...blue cover.

The nearest to it available on dvd is the HKL/DeAgostini version that came with the HKL magazine(UK). No monk scene and just a tiny bit of the 'extended' mirrors scene. It seems to be a an edit of the two versions. Can still be found on ebay...blue cover.

Thanks brother, actually didn't know that. Looking for someone who has transferred a good VHS print over to DVD.

The more I think about it that wouldn't be easy, particularly in good condition.

I did transfer the letterboxed 20th anniversary vhs (silver cover) to dvdr but it didn't look great. The HKL one is obviously superior.

the american laserdisc is the original cut, i have the disc but no player anymore.

if you have or have access to a ntsc ld player i will loan you my disc.

When you say "the HKL one is obviously superior" you're saying that they used the Theatrical cut on their release?

edit: I just read the other posts. It was a mixture of the two. :D

does the HKL have a horrible sound mix made by them or original mono? I'm guessing no original mono.

No original mono sadly just 5.1

It plays like the theatrical until the Williams/Cops scene which has the 'new' music. The Han/Roper/Museum and Roper being led outside have no music. Then at the Mirrors sequence we have a small bit from the 'extended' version of Bruce moving away from mirrors towards camera...strange but it's there...oh and the Nunchucks are cut which must have been done before the censorship was recinded in 2000?

Shit, the nunchakus are cut? :cry:

i could make a custom theatrical cut.

I would use the 2005 dvd for the most part, but I'd use the HKL dvd just for the

cross fade between Bruce's double yuen wah walking away after the openign fight and then Bruce walking in the shadows towards Mr Braithwaite who's waiting for him.

That's the only part I'd need from HKL.

then I could dub on the original mono from a VHS. Although, it would better if there is a laserdisc with original mono, or the Fox LD which has a good stereo mix I think.

Guest Markgway

I actually HATE the anniversary cut.

If I worked for Warners first thing I'd do is have them restore the theatrical cut with MONO to Blu Ray.

Anyone else noticed how bloody out of sync the dialogue is on the 2005 dvd? Sometimes the speaking happens like 1 second before the mouth starts to move, and ends before their mouths have finished forming the words. Why didn't they notice this before releasing it?!

For example: if I remember correctly....watch the scene where Han says "Are you shocked, Mr Williams?"

and he says -

"Only at how sloppy your man works"

That was really out of sync from what I recall.

Guest Markgway
Amen.

i wish they would ask the fans what they would like in these dvd/bluray releases.

That would require them to actually give a shit what fans want...

Guest Markgway
Anyone else noticed how bloody out of sync the dialogue is on the 2005 dvd?

I seem to recall the 1993 letterboxed UK VHS (cut) also had sync problems (and that was mono).

Let's start a campaign to get Warners to release ENTER the way WE want. Is anyone good at organising military invasions...... or failing that a simple petition?

You're right, the VHS did have sync issues too. That's when I first noticed it. But by 2005 those sync issues had gotten even worse. :squigglemouth:

I have a VHS from television 1984. That didn't have sync issues apart from the expected

ones caused by actors looping their lines.

I'll organise a military invasion. No worries. I went to invasion school for 3 years. :wink:

You're right, the VHS did have sync issues too. That's when I first noticed it. But by 2005 those sync issues had gotten even worse. :squigglemouth:

I have a VHS from television 1984. That didn't have sync issues apart from the expected

ones caused by actors looping their lines.

I'll organise a military invasion. No worries. I went to invasion school for 3 years. :wink:

Mate is there anyway you can flip that on to DVD? It was the first version of Enter the Dragon I ever saw.

the american laserdisc is the original cut, i have the disc but no player anymore.

if you have or have access to a ntsc ld player i will loan you my disc.

Thanks for the offer mate. I haven't got a LD player or that would have been perfect:sad:

sifu iron perm

wait up..the theatre print was missing the nunchuk scene? THis makes sense when i saw this print at the prince charles cinema a few years back..Bullshit!

I also recall the NFT played the full uncut print..around 2004.

so which version is the best?

wait up..the theatre print was missing the nunchuk scene? THis makes sense when i saw this print at the prince charles cinema a few years back..Bullshit!

I also recall the NFT played the full uncut print..around 2004.

so which version is the best?

Well perhaps it would be more accurate to ask for an UNCUT print before the restoration of the Monk and Mirrored scenes.

Also the orginal soundtrack at the WiIlliams vs. Racist Cops and Han showing Roper Around his Museum scenes.

Anyone?

I remember that it aired once uncut , they also panned it a little different to the vhs print.

on the tv version you see bruce walking along side of the wall to radio room.

on the vhs its panned more to the right so you don`t see him as much.

it was like seeing a new scene at the time. ahh fullscreen, gotta love it......not.

for me the best version is the original western theatrical release.

i don`t mind the monk scene but i hate the inner voice scenes in this and warriors journey.

sifu iron perm
I remember that it aired once uncut , they also panned it a little different to the vhs print.

on the tv version you see bruce walking along side of the wall to radio room.

on the vhs its panned more to the right so you don`t see him as much.

it was like seeing a new scene at the time. ahh fullscreen, gotta love it......not.

for me the best version is the original western theatrical release.

i don`t mind the monk scene but i hate the inner voice scenes in this and warriors journey.

was the version aired uncut on the Kung Fu night in 1996?

I want to know if the updated versions had different sound (cries)effects? Maybe tweaked or changed..

I taped ETD when it was shown as part of KF Night and remember it was still cut, sadly.

The uncut UK TV screenings happened in a couple of ITV regions back in the 80s, I've been told.

VHS copies sold for £150 initially although my buddy got one for the "cheap" price of £30!

The adverts had been left in, as well! :tongue:

If the ITV screenings were before the VRA (1984) then there was no need to cut them.

Yep exactly.

Enter the Dragon was shown in it's theatrical entirety in 1984. I watched half of it in the morning, as a nine year old, and the other half when I got home from school and every day thereafter for months.

At that time The Exorcist was still available to rent, as well as I Spit On Your Grave etc. Film banishment and censorship kicked in to full force from 1985 onwards, if I remember correctly.

Rank Released the Hong Kong Flicks again in 1987 and they were chopped up even worse and ETD was released in 1988 by Warner with nunchakas missing and the Bolo vs. Guards scene truncated.

The 1984 TVS (the old name for ITV) vhs recording I have is uncut, yes. That's how I first saw it luckily.

I can put it on dvd for you sdog, sure. But quality isn't gonna be great I expect. I'll give it a go and see what it's like. Haven't watched it in years.

The 1984 TVS (the old name for ITV) vhs recording I have is uncut, yes. That's how I first saw it luckily.

I can put it on dvd for you sdog, sure. But quality isn't gonna be great I expect. I'll give it a go and see what it's like. Haven't watched it in years.

Still cool though and thanks a lot brother :wink:

Archived