Ji Han Jae in Game of Death

shukocarl

Does anyonre know why Ji Han Jae gets no screen credit in Robert Clouse's version of Game of Death? Good ol' Chuck Norris does yet his 'role' is lifted from Way of the Dragon while Ji was part of the original shooting. Arguably, Ji is one of the co-stars along with Dan Inosanto and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. An oversight by the producers?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
Does anyonre know why Ji Han Jae gets no screen credit in Robert Clouse's version of Game of Death? Good ol' Chuck Norris does yet his 'role' is lifted from Way of the Dragon while Ji was part of the original shooting. Arguably, Ji is one of the co-stars along with Dan Inosanto and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. An oversight by the producers?

I think originally he wasn't going to be in it.

His character is never referred to, there is no mention of him on the trailers, and he is totally absent from one of the two Asian edits - the one that is on HK DVD.

I suspect the plan was to save his footage for a sequel. Note the sound fx for his fight in the English version is different - better! - than the sound fx in the rest of the film. He was probably a last minute re-insertion.

Thanks KM, good points there mate. in one version his fight comes 1/2 way thru the film...wonder if that was where it was meant to be for asian audiences?

My guess is that he requested not to have screen credit.

Game of Death was unique in that a load of footage was in the can, years prior to the film being completed and the main player was dead. This effected several elements of the movie including credits, shitty special effects, use of doubles and taste (actual funeral footage). Chuck Norris declined to participate, so GH gave him a "F*ck You Then" by including archive footage, which I find hilarious. Norris settled with them out of court.

Game of Death was a money spinning disaster area and if Bruce Lee could have came back from the dead then Brandon Lee's role in The Crow would have been art imitating life by the time it was made. I was always confused as to why Dan Inosanto went anywhere near it but he probably felt it was the only way to get Lee's final footage shown.

Having said that Game of Death is a guilty pleasure because thankfully GH had Sammo Hung on the set. Everything else about it is toilet shit!

Killer Meteor
I was always confused as to why Dan Inosanto went anywhere near it but he probably felt it was the only way to get Lee's final footage shown.

I'm sure they could have made the film without him...witness the hilarious Kareem stand-in, or rather, sit-in.

The things that are good about the 78 film?

Sammo's choreography - I understand he didn't do the first two fights we see, which are rubbish!

John Barry's music

Colleen Camp

I'm sure they could have made the film without him...witness the hilarious Kareem stand-in, or rather, sit-in.

The things that are good about the 78 film?

Sammo's choreography - I understand he didn't do the first two fights we see, which are rubbish!

John Barry's music

Colleen Camp

I think Dean Jagger choreographed them:wink:

Yeah, it's such a guilty pleasure, both fascinating and exploitave trash at the same time. I have to say that it gets stronger as a film from the 'locker room' scene onwards but the first half is so much crap.

Killer Meteor

Jagger does seem astoundingly senile/drunk/both in GAME OF DEATH.

The locker room fight is excellent, the front somersault kick that Yuen Biao performs to free himself from Bob Walls hold still amazes me to this day, the skill, timing and control involved is incredible.

Full credit to Sammo - Bob Wall actually looks capable of fighting here!

Full credit to Bob Wall too for taking a hit for the somersault kick I mentioned, check it out at 5:02 - Painful! Obviously it looks bad in slow motion but Biao would have been rotating at top speed so that would have had to hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uFXMs2i7qo

"You bee-utifuuul baas-taaard!"

Po'!... Carl!... Po'!!!

:xd:

My guess is that he requested not to have screen credit.

Can you blame him?

Game of Death was unique in that a load of footage was in the can, years prior to the film being completed and the main player was dead.

Way more than the dumbasses elected to utilize... and There was a complete storyline available however, Chow decided to opt out and not ask Linda whom he had been giving a runaround!:ooh:

This effected several elements of the movie including credits, shitty special effects, use of doubles and taste (actual funeral footage).

If I could have, I'd have murdered Chow, for that decision alone!:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Chuck Norris declined to participate, so GH gave him a "F*ck You Then" by including archive footage, which I find hilarious. Norris settled with them out of court.

Chow is a real SOB eh?:angel:

I was always confused as to why Dan Inosanto went anywhere near it but he probably felt it was the only way to get Lee's final footage shown.

That was Dan's Hollywood era. :nerd:

Having said that Game of Death is a guilty pleasure because thankfully GH had Sammo Hung on the set.

And thanks to the now deceased Kim Tai Chung:ooh:, for giving the illusion of capturing a touch of Bruce in this most difficult production.

Everything else about it is toilet shit!

Is there any other kind?:wink:

Ha Ha, nice one.

To be honest, Dean Jagger does move quicker in GOD than he did in Bad Day at Black Rock, which was made about a million years before.

Sammo couldn't have done the "garden fight" (with Billy Lo vs Dean Jagger and his men)... that fight always looked shitty to me.

Ha Ha, nice one.

To be honest, Dean Jagger does move quicker in GOD than he did in Bad Day at Black Rock, which was made about a million years before.

Absolutely terrific film :wink:

Sammo couldn't have done the "garden fight" (with Billy Lo vs Dean Jagger and his men)... that fight always looked shitty to me.

Who could have choreographed those scenes Sammo didn't?

:nerd:

Who could have choreographed those scenes Sammo didn't?

:nerd:

Highly possible that the stuntmen and Kim Tai Jong put them together. Sammo had a nightmare on that film with scheduling and was perhaps not available.

Archived