The 1972 Hong Kong Movie Censorship Crackdown

66 Mantis

Been trying to find info about this, but have been coming up short. Apparently, Hong Kong went through a similar deal as Hollywood's Haze Code of 1934 and a good many early martial arts and action films made up to that point were censored due to violent content. The only two movies that I heard about regarding this were The Big Boss (obviously) and One Armed Boxer (which was restored with a few extra scenes of blood, but still looks like it may be cut). Anybody know of specific Hong Kong movies made before and up to 1972 that have been edited and have yet to be restored?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Return of the One-Armed Swordsman; although that was before the crackdown.

Farewell, Buddy (later The Young Dragons) was banned outright.

Didnt Chang Cheh have to change some of his climactic bloody death scenes to Black and White for censorship reasons?

Killer Meteor
Didnt Chang Cheh have to change some of his climactic bloody death scenes to Black and White for censorship reasons?

I noticed on one of the documentaries on the Celestial dvds, they show a clip from the 1967 THE ASSASSIN and it's gory finish is in black-and-white too.

I wonder if HELL'Z WINDSTAFF was censored originally - note Hwang Jang-lee being split in two is missing from the old Chinese theatre print used for the UK DVD.

Return of the One-Armed Swordsman; although that was before the crackdown.

Farewell, Buddy (later The Young Dragons) was banned outright.

Thanks, I remember now hearing that Young Dragons was banned at the time which makes me wonder if the bootleg print that's been circulating has been edited (that print doesn't seem to have anything so bad in it). First time I heard about Return...

Guest Markgway

Hell's Windsatff didn't come out until 1979 and wasn't part of the 'crackdown'.

I read that an uncut version of TYD had been released in Japan but I can't confirm if that's true.

Archived