Favorite Shaw Brothers Scenes? Lets list them!

waywardsage

I'd like to start a thread where everyone lists their favorite scenes, (or fights) and why they like them. Please list which film they're in and perhaps the actors if you can.

One of my favorite scenes is from Deadly Duo with Ti Lung where they're trying to cross a broken down bridge. The "rogue" character crosses below the bridge and helps everyone take turns sliding across.

It was a fun, unique scene that was out of the norm for most Shaw films. I rather enjoyed it!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have many but I'll start off with just one...

One of my favorite scenes is in Clan Of The White Lotus when Pai Mei & the Lotus Clan come to the house of Ah-Piao & Ching-Ching & take revenge .

Kennedy Il Sung

Lo Meng and Lu Feng drinking together before they fight in Invincible Shaolin

Lau Kar Leung training at the beginning of My young Auntie

Lo Meng's fight to his death in Five Element Ninja

The Ending of Hong Kong Godfather

Definately too many to list, but I've always enjoyed the scene in Heroes Of The East when Gordon and his wife sit down to a meal, but still can't resist trying to best each other with their martial arts skills.

My favourite scene in Shaws is the pole duel in Eight Diagram Pole Fighter with Santa and Ko Fei-the whole build up, the music, the atmosphere, the dialogue "Even you my holy father have a weapon in your hand"-"Look up at Buddha and down at home" then the greatest piece of weapon choreography ever put on film. The finest movie ever made!!!

And second is the massive finale of My Young Auntie, with Pops, Siu Ho, Cho Tat Wah, Sun Sim and Lin Hui Kuang taking on the Mayor, Yuen Tak, Foot Doctor, Mad Korean and the minions in stunningly choreographed action. The movie also has my favourite One to One ever filmed-Pops versus the Mayor, beautiful Kung Fu action with every facet of Jung Gwok Mo Seut being employed.

Third is that mad scene just before it all goes off at the end of Sword Stained with Royal Blood (my top Venoms movie) where Kwok Choy is surrounded by the villain's whole family in their Baht Gwa array, going round and round him, and instead of worrying about it...he just lies down and goes to sleep until they wear themselves out.

Also honourable mention to the first fight between Kwok Choy and Lu Feng in Legend of the Fox-an incredibly lengthy sword fight stunningly choreographed, that only finishes when their blades contact for the first time!! Unique!!

I haven't seen that many Shaw Bros films but the finale at the end of "Shaolin Rescuers" with Lu Feng Vs FOUR Venoms was just awesome. :xd: Similarly the finale for "Masked Avengers" was absolutely insane .:xd:

I'd love to see some of these popstars in modern Hong Kong martial arts films trying to handle weapons like The Venoms. The timing, the skills, the choreography, the agility and everything coming together without the need to have a cut every few seconds or masses of wire work it's just an amazing sight to see.:xd:

I've always enjoyed the fight scene in "Dirty Ho" with the various wines being served to Gordon Liu. The choreography may not be as great as some of the best fights, but the sheer nonchalance of the action and the constant dialog throughout never fails to put a huge smile on my face.

sooo many. shaws rock big time after all.

for now, i`ll add:

- DEVILS MIRROR. pretty much in the beginning theres assassins fighting their way out of a mansion & courtyard. furious, fast, brutal, smart & original (movements/choreo), just plain fantastic even 40 years after it was made.

- HUMAN LANTERNS (since i got sun chung on the mind right now, i`ll keep it sun-chung-centric in this post).

enter lo meng, having a badass duel with (dont recall atm) either chen or more likely liu, using steel claws. the nicely lit, gloomy nighttime backyard scenario adds to the pleasure.

- JUDGEMENT OF AN ASSASSIN

ku feng is his coolest, having to go all bouncer on some clansmen that want entry to that old hags HQ and get it denied by ours truly, ku feng as (no surprise there) an elder swordsman caught up in the politricks of the jiang hu trade.

I've always enjoyed the fight scene in "Dirty Ho" with the various wines being served to Gordon Liu. The choreography may not be as great as some of the best fights, but the sheer nonchalance of the action and the constant dialog throughout never fails to put a huge smile on my face.

I was going to say that scene :) Awesome movie overall.

Another favourite is the intro to 5 Elemental Ninjas. Easily best intro to any kung fu movie.

The Silver Fox

Five Element Ninjas when Ricky and the boys are fighting the Gold Ninjas , there is this slow motion,side view, type shot of them jumping into the fray and it is just awesome. Actually that whole fight is sweet, just flipping those axes around-it is some of the best weapons work on celluloid as far as I'm concerned.

End fight in coffin shop in 8 Diagram Pole Fighter-'nuff said!

The killer standing on the deserted ,fog enshrouded street in the giallo Corpse Mania. I know alot of people don't care for this film but i think it is really neat how SB attempted to make an Italian style thriller.

First that comes to mind Shaolin Prince , when Derek Yee fights the monks in shaolin , the crazy pole formations.

Second Killer Constable aka Lighting Kung fu. the dark fight scene between Jason Pai Po and Chen Kwan Tai, one of my favorite movies.

When Chen Kuan Tai takes off his cape in Crippled Avengers, its like he's about to kick some serious Azzzz!

The 5 Shaolin Masters dressed in white walking riverside for possibly the last time.

David Chaing's courtroom scenes in Blood Brothers, "kneel down dog!!"

Ti Lung explaining to Lo Lieh that there are assassins all around in Magic Blade, "there, that women is fierce in her new shoes, and that man is saying to the other "when do we start"

I always loved the final fight of Martial Club between Gordon Liu and Johnny Wang.

That is a great fight. Wang Lung Wei is really menacing!

Also:

The end of Disciples of Shaolin, where Chi Kuan Chun goes off, and finishes the villains, walking into the sunset...!

Freaking Awesome!

I'll have to add the fight scene at the end of Shaolin Prince! The iron fingers! The crazy killer chair! Some awesome choreography in it!

Almost all against the red or any other colour so from HEROES TWO onwards.

THE DELINQUENT- Wang Chung going to the brothel where Fan Mei Sheng and Dean Shek are to kill them after he escapes from the hospital. You can really feel the intensity and rage in Wang Chung's performance when he seeks brutal vengeance for his father's murder. He never lets up and makes sure they both suffer dearly...

VENGEANCE- David Chiang's death crawl in the film's final moments. The slow motion of him dying as Wang Ping comes running to be near him is very sad.

THE DUEL- David Chiang and Ti Lung's final fight together at the end against dozens of hatchet and pistol-toting thugs.

FIVE ELEMENT NINJA- The two fighters in white who first take on the Wood Element Ninjas and die.

I have more but I'd at it all night!

THE DELINQUENT-

THE DUEL- David Chiang and Ti Lung's final fight together at the end against dozens of hatchet and pistol-toting thugs.

I have more but I'd at it all night!

Just watched this tonight! Insanely long massacre scene! David Chiang and Ti Lung are off the chain in the end fight scene!

Archived