Marvel's The Punisher Could Be a TV Series

AlbertV

Deadline reports that Fox has put in an order of a pilot of Marvel's character The Punisher.

As everyone knows, there are three Punisher films, the Dolph Lundgren 1989 film, the Thomas Jane 2004 film, and Ray Stevenson's 2008 film War Zone.

The Punisher is described as an hour-long procedural with a Marvel signature and a new take on one of the comic book giant’s iconic characters, Frank Castle, a rising star detective with the New York Police Department who moonlights as the vigilante Punisher, seeking justice for those the system has failed. Ed Bernero (Criminal Minds) will executive produce along with Marvel. This marks the first sale this season and the first one ever outside of ABC for Disney-owned Marvel, which is developing TV series based on its properties through ABC Studios.

The question is: Who do you think could play the Punisher in a TV series version?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Interesting news. I always thought Marvel should do something like this with this character. But the Punisher ought to get a treatment from one of the cable channels such as HBO or Starz. Don't skimp. Make it lethal!

Guest Yi-Long

I'm not against the idea of a TV series being done (hell, I think it would work better than through movies...), but the synopse sounds stupid. Frank Castle a rising star detective? Fuck off! His family gets slaughtered and he goes off the radar! He's not going to join the policeforce and pretend to play buddy-buddy with all those cops.

It's just stupid. If you're going to do it, do it RIGHT! Make this guy completely fucked up because of what happened to him and watch him wreak havoc on the underworld.

Haven't been a huge fan of the character; just a guy with guns that battled Spidey --

but the the whole anti-hero slant of the 80/90s is definitely the niche he fits into.

Hate to see Fox sugarcoat things (as Yi-Long states).

Need to keep things like Frank Miller did on the DD title --

as well as what Zeck/ Grant and Baron/ Janson did on the mini and reg series.

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, I've got to agree with Yi-Long on this one. The premise is already wimpy. The fact his family got massacred is what sets Castle off in the 1st place. He doesn't walk down both sides of the road regarding the law. He's not interested in arresting and reforming criminals. He puts 'em down like sick dogs.

If the execs are thinking in terms of longevity, they should go with a relatively new and younger guy. Can't really think of anyone in particular. Kellan Lutz did a pretty good turn in Arena. He handles fight choreography well (yeah, I know the Punisher isn't really a hands-on kind of guy but he does mix it up occasionally). I might could see him doing the role. He's no A-lister so they wouldn't have to pay him crazy money.

They should use the traditional former cop turned vigilante and now that Human Target got cancelled, bring back Mark Valley as the Punisher.

Archived