Dragon Dynasty 4 pack?

waywardsage

The Lundgren Films are Hidden Assassin, Men of War, and Blackjack.

Warning though, Men of War is is zoomed and cropped and looks awful. I heard the original release of this film looked great on the Miramax DVD. Many consider that one of Dolph's best films, although I don't.

Hidden Assassin and John Woo's Blackjack look great. I mainly bought it for Hidden Assassin.

6140BlwEq1L.jpg

I understand what your saying by "wait and let the price drop." But these Dolph films are direct to DVD schlock. Off course they're $5 for a set! Shaw's were theatrically release, (in Asia) and they're marketed to a very specific tiny audience.

Studio's tend to license these rarely, and if they do, they do very limited prints. Yes, sometimes bootleg, crappy distributors buy a bunch and crank them out cheaply. But quality suffers! A lot of the cheapo houses buy the crap transfers to distribute. The Celestial Shaw transfers are top notch!

And $20 for 4 well known Shaws is a steal! thats $5 a movie! And considering most of the Tokyo Shock and Funimation Shaw's are $12+ I don't mind getting 4 great films for $5 each.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I explained in a previous post why these titles are $5 and I said the Dragon Dynasty DVD will not drop to that price.

Echo Bridge licensed 251 titles from Miramax, many of which were theatrical films. Echo Bridge is re-releasing these titles at budget prices.

Btw, the Dolph Films(excluding BlackJack, which was made for TV) were theatrical films but straight to DVD in the USA.

You act like these Shaw Brothers films are somehow superior to the Dolph films. I think if you asked people in the general public which are more enjoyable or watchable, the vast majority would say the Dolph films.

You act like these Shaw Brothers films are somehow superior to the Dolph films. I think if you asked people in the general public which are more enjoyable or watchable, the vast majority would say the Dolph films.

General public MAYBE, people into fu/action, prob not. Besides who cares WTF others think :tongue:

The Dolph films aren't martial arts films, they are action thrillers.

They are really apples and oranges anyway. The Dolph films are more modern films and it is hard to compare them to old, HK films.

I would like to see these Shaw Brothers films.

:yociexp115::Ayociexp119:

Not meaning to make trouble, but you're not going to win arguments like that in this arena.

Here's a Dolph Fan Forum where you can freely express your Dolphin love without ridicule:

http://www.mosquito.net/dolphforum/

The Dolph films aren't martial arts films, they are action thrillers.

They are really apples and oranges anyway. The Dolph films are more modern films and it is hard to compare them to old, HK films.

I would like to see these Shaw Brothers films.

Which is why I added the / action ;) Dolph def can't "act" and many of his movies are cliched Hollywood drivel...FAR from classic (like Shaws, etc). :bigsmile:

That's a matter of opinion. Dolph has fans from all over the world I don't think he has ever made a film that has lost money.

gravedigger666
Which is why I added the / action ;) Dolph def can't "act" and many of his movies are cliched Hollywood drivel...FAR from classic (like Shaws, etc). :bigsmile:

They are not classics and should not be compared to Shaws.But in hollywood standards they are OK, when I want break from KF/Swordplay, Dolphins movies are safe picks.I never remember was yawning when watching his movie.I avoided master of the universe tho:tongue:

$5 for 3 dolphs and $20 for 4 Shaws both are excellent value for money:nerd:

Right, and kung fu movies are never cliche and they all have original stories. No two Shaw Brothers films look alike, ever.

gravedigger666
Right, and kung fu movies are never cliche and they all have original stories. No two Shaw Brothers films look alike, ever.

You hit right on nail.But for Shaw Brothers defence I have to say scripts are often more imaginative than your usual independent studio student learns new form of kung-fu to avenge death of his master

masterofoneinchpunch

Not all Shaw Brother's films are great (look at how many films were made by the Shaws), but this four-pack contains some very good films. I think they are easily worth the price (I bought them right away at a higher price; online the four-pack is higher on Amazon then it is in Walmart).

I have not seen the Dolph films so I cannot compare between the two. But I feel those four are of a very high quality seriously with films from two of my favorite Shaw directors: Lau Kar-leung and Chang Cheh. The athleticism alone in Martial Arts of Shaolin and Mad Monkey Kung Fu is breathtaking. Cheh's directorial skills are vastly underrated (not on here, I'm talking overall :)) and Five Shaolin Masters is a worthy movie.

gravedigger666

I have not seen the Dolph films so I cannot compare between the two. .

For Black Jack alone it is worth picking.

masterofoneinchpunch
For Black Jack alone it is worth picking.

I've been collecting all the Chuck Norris films now, so I might as well add Dolph now :D (of course I get all the R1 Shaw films). But I will keep Blackjack in mind which I would pick up anyways because it is directed by Woo.

gravedigger666
I've been collecting all the Chuck Norris films now, so I might as well add Dolph now :D (of course I get all the R1 Shaw films). But I will keep Blackjack in mind which I would pick up anyways because it is directed by Woo.

Get Dolphins red scorpion and bridge of dragons also....if you liked rambo2 u like those too

Dolph isn't even a C list action star and taking the films where he is the star I have to agree with inframan. I'm not well versed in Shaw Bros movies but those I have seen in recent months have been absolutely stunning, with jawdropping action/kung fu. Admittedly there's tons of Dolph movies I've not seen but I've seen enough to know that life's too short for such bland, uninspired action movies . feel free to disagree but that's my opinion anyway

TibetanWhiteCrane

Comparing Dolph Lundgren C-grade flicks to Shaw Brothers is beyond apples and oranges..... it's like comparing a spongecake and a rock.... utterly pointless!

With that said, Dolph has starred in some classics, no one is denying that.

Personal Faves: Red Scorpion, Punisher, Dark Angel, Showdown In Little Tokyo, Joshua Tree.

gravedigger666
Dolph isn't even a C list action star and taking the films where he is the star I have to agree with inframan. I'm not well versed in Shaw Bros movies but those I have seen in recent months have been absolutely stunning, with jawdropping action/kung fu. Admittedly there's tons of Dolph movies I've not seen but I've seen enough to know that life's too short for such bland, uninspired action movies . feel free to disagree but that's my opinion anyway

To be honest even Big Arnold or Sly is not better actor that Dolphin, they just got more budget to make movies.Idiotic to compare any hollywood or euro movie to shaw kung-fu...

I'd take the Shaws over those bums anyday... Only reason they had careers is because of the Fu films... Audiences were looking for something fresh and they followed the trend with their "Action" films.

Wake me during the post credits.:yociexp35:

QUESTION:

Travis, why are you bringing these topics of yours to the Kung Fu Forum, where they generally don't belong-and not take them to a different thread, if not forum? Sex videos, Dolph Lungren LoveFests...

Just asking?

:nerd:

I feel you!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Travis, it's really easy to tell the difference in terms of quality film-making when comparing a Dolph Lundgren flick and a Shaw brothers flick... It's like when you eat food, you have your junk food and then you have your signature dish you get at a 5 star restaurant.. Guess which films fall in the 5 star restaurant???

To be honest even Big Arnold or Sly is not better actor that Dolphin, they just got more budget to make movies.Idiotic to compare any hollywood or euro movie to shaw kung-fu...

I'm not the biggest Stallone fan and even if I haven't seen the biggest number of "Dolphin" movies he put in some pretty decent acting efforts during his Rocky films. As for Arnie I'm not going to disagree. I read he plans to make a comeback in a film that requires more story and acting. I really don't know what he's thinking, he really should have left the politics until he was too old to be an action hero. It's a shame really as he was part of an era.

I'd take the Shaws over those bums anyday... Only reason they had careers is because of the Fu films... Audiences were looking for something fresh and they followed the trend with their "Action" films.

Wake me during the post credits.:yociexp35:

QUESTION:

Travis, why are you bringing these topics of yours to the Kung Fu Forum, where they generally don't belong-and not take them to a different thread, if not forum? Sex videos, Dolph Lungren LoveFests...

Just asking?

:nerd:

I feel you!

I already posted saying I mentioned these here to let people know Wal-Mart has some other interesting cheap 3-packs, the Lundgren films and Jackie Chan 3-pack.

I didn't know your only interest is Shaw Brothers films and you can't enjoy other types of stuff.

I already posted saying I mentioned these here to let people know Wal-Mart has some other interesting cheap 3-packs, the Lundgren films and Jackie Chan 3-pack.

I didn't know your only interest is Shaw Brothers films and you can't enjoy other types of stuff.

I'm a huge fan of 80's action films. I'm all about Stallone, Arnie, Van Damn, Segal flicks from the 80's!

Right, and I mentioned these other movie packs because I figured if people are already going to Wal-Mart for the Shaw Brothers pack, they may also be interested in these other action films, even if they are not old kung fu movies.

I didn't know that there would be people here like The Dragon that only enjoy Shaw Brothers films and think that is the best thing created and nothing else is worth viewing.

Archived