Top Golden Harvest films?

waywardsage

I'm not too versed in the history or the films of Golden Harvest. How do they relate to the Shaw Brothers films?

I'm pretty much familiar mostly with the Shaw titles. I haven't had the chance to go looking for any Golden Harvest films. What would anyone say are the top 10 Golden Harvest films to watch if I were looking for them? How many of these are available on Region 1?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure of region 1 but my top ten Golden's would be-old skool

1:The Magnificent Butcher-Sammo Hung at his very best and one of the best Hung Gar movies, Fatty versus Jamrag at the end..whoaah!!

2:The Prodigal Son-Sammo again in the best Wing Chun movie ever with Yuen Biao starting to become the greatest screen fighter ever. Lam Ching Ying's batty man versus Chan Fun Kay's Pak Mei on the boat....choreography would never be the same.

3:The Young Master-Jackie Chan at his most enjoyable and intricate-Karate Kid...PAH!!

4:Knockabout-Sammo giving Yuen Biao his debut and one of his finest showcases, with some ruffhouse monkey shapes

5:Encounters of the Spooky Kind-Sammo kickstarts the HK horror genre and injects stunning choreography

6:Duel to the Death-endlessly inventive swordplay action and wicked Ninja work

7:Last Hurrah for Chivalry-John Woo's closest attempt to make a Shaws movie. Go sleeping wizard

8:Dreadnaught-one of THE classic Wong Fei Hung movies with an amazing lion dance, mr lion come reach

9:Warriors Two-Sammo's 2nd finest Wing Chun movie. What a finale!! Watch Jamrag spin thru the air!!

10:Fist of Fury-Bruce at his most magnetic...the fight in the dojo changed my life!!

As for modern day-

1:Eastern Condors-Sammo, Yuen Biao and some of the greatest fight action ever filmed and Sammo's 2nd finest modern day (after Pedicab Driver which isnt a Golden film)

2:Wheels on Meals-the Three Brothers at their best...and the best modern one on one ever Jackie vs Benny the Jet, and a travelogue round Barcelona

3:Dragons Forever-nearly Wheels on Meals 2 same crew new level of action!!!

4:Police Story-Jackie's absolute masterpiece much copied never equalled!!!

5:Righting Wrongs-Yuen Biao out on his own, blowing Rothrock and everyone else off screen. It makes me cringe to see the Dragon Dynasty DVD sleeve mentioning dross like Transporter in connection with this action classic. Watch the classic scene where Rothrock asks how a person in a hospital, covered with a sheet, is?? Duh!!

6:Heart of the Dragon- a deeply moving Jackie star turn, and one of Sammo's finest roles-and an ending that defies description!!

7:Millionaire's Express-Sammo again alongside an incredible cast in an enourmously entertaining Eastern Western. The fight between Sammo and Yuen Biao is a showstopper!!!

8:On the Run-Yuen Biao again-NO FIGHTING (except for one kick at the end) but his greatest acting performance.

9:Project A-simply the film that killed of the traditional kung fu movie-I should hate it but it's a masterpiece-even though I dont believe Jackie directed ALL OF IT!!

10:Drunken Master2-1994 I saw it at worldwide opening-EVERY chinatown at same time-and was shaking with excitement by the incredible fighting- Jackie you should have retired after this!! Rumble in the Bronx...ughh!!

Joy Sales has released a large number of Golden Harvest films in all-region format, Chinese language with English Subtitles. Generally, they run around $10US. Be careful though, some of the more popular films with Region 1 releases are coded Region 3, i.e. Jackie Chan movies.

You might want to check out Angela Mao films from Golden Harvest. They often have Sammo Hung playing a second-string villian role and Angela is a treat to watch.

With Sammo:

The Angry River

Broken Oath

The Himalayan

The Invincible Eight

The Tournament

When Taekwando Strikes

Without Sammo:

The Fate of Lee Khan

gravedigger666
Joy Sales has released a large number of Golden Harvest films in all-region format, Chinese language with English Subtitles. Generally, they run around $10US. Be careful though, some of the more popular films with Region 1 releases are coded Region 3, i.e. Jackie Chan movies.

You might want to check out Angela Mao films from Golden Harvest. They often have Sammo Hung playing a second-string villian role.

With Sammo:

The Angry River

Broken Oath

The Himalayan

The Invincible Eight

The Tournament

When Taekwando Strikes

Without Sammo:

The Fate of Lee Khan

Himalayan is necessary pick.Subs have lot errors and pic quality not that great.But movie itself is kungfu bliss, real masterpiece.

Morgoth Bauglir

A few other top of the tops that haven't been mentioned-

The Sword

Hapkido

Operation Scorpio

Angry Ranger

I wouldn't either, and I felt kind of good that I had seen every film he listed except one. This list reminded me how I pretty much got into kung fu films through GH, not growing up in the USA and having all those Shaws on tv.

The Prodigal Son

The Iron-Fisted Monk

Warriors Two

Police Story 1&2

Knockabout

Dragon Lord

The Young Master

Winners and Sinners

My Lucky Stars

Eastern Condors

Righting Wrongs

Duel to the Death

Not sure of region 1 but my top ten Golden's would be-old skool

1:The Magnificent Butcher-Sammo Hung at his very best and one of the best Hung Gar movies, Fatty versus Jamrag at the end..whoaah!!

2:The Prodigal Son-Sammo again in the best Wing Chun movie ever with Yuen Biao starting to become the greatest screen fighter ever. Lam Ching Ying's batty man versus Chan Fun Kay's Pak Mei on the boat....choreography would never be the same.

3:The Young Master-Jackie Chan at his most enjoyable and intricate-Karate Kid...PAH!!

4:Knockabout-Sammo giving Yuen Biao his debut and one of his finest showcases, with some ruffhouse monkey shapes

5:Encounters of the Spooky Kind-Sammo kickstarts the HK horror genre and injects stunning choreography

6:Duel to the Death-endlessly inventive swordplay action and wicked Ninja work

7:Last Hurrah for Chivalry-John Woo's closest attempt to make a Shaws movie. Go sleeping wizard

8:Dreadnaught-one of THE classic Wong Fei Hung movies with an amazing lion dance, mr lion come reach

9:Warriors Two-Sammo's 2nd finest Wing Chun movie. What a finale!! Watch Jamrag spin thru the air!!

10:Fist of Fury-Bruce at his most magnetic...the fight in the dojo changed my life!!

As for modern day-

1:Eastern Condors-Sammo, Yuen Biao and some of the greatest fight action ever filmed and Sammo's 2nd finest modern day (after Pedicab Driver which isnt a Golden film)

2:Wheels on Meals-the Three Brothers at their best...and the best modern one on one ever Jackie vs Benny the Jet, and a travelogue round Barcelona

3:Dragons Forever-nearly Wheels on Meals 2 same crew new level of action!!!

4:Police Story-Jackie's absolute masterpiece much copied never equalled!!!

5:Righting Wrongs-Yuen Biao out on his own, blowing Rothrock and everyone else off screen. It makes me cringe to see the Dragon Dynasty DVD sleeve mentioning dross like Transporter in connection with this action classic. Watch the classic scene where Rothrock asks how a person in a hospital, covered with a sheet, is?? Duh!!

6:Heart of the Dragon- a deeply moving Jackie star turn, and one of Sammo's finest roles-and an ending that defies description!!

7:Millionaire's Express-Sammo again alongside an incredible cast in an enourmously entertaining Eastern Western. The fight between Sammo and Yuen Biao is a showstopper!!!

8:On the Run-Yuen Biao again-NO FIGHTING (except for one kick at the end) but his greatest acting performance.

9:Project A-simply the film that killed of the traditional kung fu movie-I should hate it but it's a masterpiece-even though I dont believe Jackie directed ALL OF IT!!

10:Drunken Master2-1994 I saw it at worldwide opening-EVERY chinatown at same time-and was shaking with excitement by the incredible fighting- Jackie you should have retired after this!! Rumble in the Bronx...ughh!!

That's a pretty good list, I've seen most of those movies except Duel to the Death(just youtubed it-awesome), Eastern Condors(I know, I know), Heart of the Dragon and On the Run.

The Sword(1980) is one of my favorite Wuxias, I've dropped massive love on this movie in this forum for years. Adam Cheng's finest role.

I'll have to add Dirty Tiger Crazy Frog if you don't mind some hijinks , it drags out a little to long but the Kung Fu is top notch and creative with Sammo and Lau Kar Wing tearing it up.

Yeah I love The Sword also, but the story is a bit of a downer, and is just outside my top ten, and I think that is the ONLY thing missing from Duel to the Death, although Duel is in my top ten Goldens-I wish Adam Cheng was the star of it instead of Damian Lau (who IS superb in Duel though!!) but Adam Cheng just raises swordplay to a whole new level, if he was fighting off those ninjas it would probably be my no 2!!!

Sadly Dirty Tiger Crazy Frog isnt a Golden Harvest though, it was the first of only two movies made by Gar Bo films, the other was the masterpiece Odd Couple (which I have on my top ten non-shaws old school posting)-thats what the guy posting this thread wanted top golden harvest flicks.

Yeah I love The Sword also, but the story is a bit of a downer, and is just outside my top ten, and I think that is the ONLY thing missing from Duel to the Death, although Duel is in my top ten Goldens-I wish Adam Cheng was the star of it instead of Damian Lau (who IS superb in Duel though!!) but Adam Cheng just raises swordplay to a whole new level, if he was fighting off those ninjas it would probably be my no 2!!!

Sadly Dirty Tiger Crazy Frog isnt a Golden Harvest though, it was the first of only two movies made by Gar Bo films, the other was the masterpiece Odd Couple (which I have on my top ten non-shaws old school posting)-thats what the guy posting this thread wanted top golden harvest flicks.

I totally agree with this underlined point. Maybe he wasn't available? THE role surely fit him..

Archived