What's next for Hong Kong films?

DiP

Although period (war, wu xia, action) films are still being done I feel they are slowly getting out of date. Judging by what I've seen so far, I think films depicting magic (The Great Magician, Magic To Win) will be in focus and it looks like contemporary crime/thrillers are making a comeback (Overheard 2, Life Without Principle, the upcoming Perfect Fairy Tale).

What do you guys believe will be the next trends in Hong Kong/Chinese films?

• Like 1

I'd like to see more crime dramas, we've got Motorway coming out next year. hopefully we'll hear more on the proposed Derek Yee-produced project to star Nic Tse and Lau Ching-Wan. hopefully more localized projects will continue to flourish, I hear Johnnie To's Life Without Principle is a fully localized film which has received some acclaim from the HK audience at its premiere-hopefully more to come from both To and others, although it's very obvious that HK films are becoming more and more assimilated w/ China these days. I would like to see a resurgence of modern-day action films, pretty much only Dante Lam has been doing them lately. I hope that magic films don't become a trend. Great Magician looks decent, but that Wilson Yip one Magic to Win looks horrible. I'm sure the period pieces will continue, but HK is in desperate need of a new martial arts star these days. Donnie has apparently decided to make his next couple of films comedies, and really nobody new has stepped up to the plate outta HK lately. luckily Donnie's not retiring just yet, and (in terms of martial arts films) we've got both the return of Tony Jaa next year as well as what looks to be the film to cement Iko Uwais as the next big star of martial arts films. in terms of HK films, I see a continued reliance on the Mainland for the majority of the big films, with just enough local films being made to keep the industry afloat. I am confident that HK will continue to put out great films, although it may just be in smaller numbers

• Like 1

Donnie has apparently decided to make his next couple of films comedies

One of them is an action comedy called Thunder Cop. Hopefully we might see him action choreograph that one as well as bring martial artists onboard like in his last few films.

• Like 1

Cognoscente

I would like to see period horror of the human and supernatural kind. Can you imagine what a period version of a slasher movie or The Evil Dead would look like?

• Like 2