Best place to buy HKL versions of Jackie's old school films

INCspot

As advised by so many of you in the past, I finally got a blu-ray player that plays DVDs from all regions, NTSC and PAL alike, and I assume that means I can finally enjoy un-cut Chinese language kung fu films with English subtitles. However, finding the films at an affordable price is my latest issue. I found "Dragon Fist" on eBay for $40, which is a lot more than I can afford (I know they're out of print and hard to find, but still, I don't have that much money to spend on a single DVD). HKflix seemed to have a good selection, but now that they're out of business, is there a good alternative where I can find HKL's older Jackie films at a decent price?

These are the specific ones I'm looking for:

Dragon Fist

Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin

Shaolin Wooden Men

Also, I hear there's a good R2 PAL version of Drunken Tai Chi out there that I also can't find cheap.

Are there alternate versions of these films out there that meet this same criteria? (Affordable, original language, English subtitled, no scenes missing)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first post here (I haven't introduced myself before, sorry for that!), but if Australian DVDs are an option for you, here you can find the three HKL DVDs you're looking for, and for quite an affordable price:

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=41046

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=41049

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=43686

Try amazon.co.uk failing that try Australia ( R4 ) but you may get them from there. Other than that you could try ebay.co.uk now and again or save some searches on there

I'm astounded at the prices the JC HKL remasters are going for now - a few years ago the retailers couldn't give them away!! Now they are way over the top prices but that's what happens when an artificial collector market is created (i.e by a company going out of business)

Cine Asia have released some of the HKL back catalogue so you never know the JC HKLs may get a re-release as well

This is my first post here (I haven't introduced myself before, sorry for that!), but if Australian DVDs are an option for you, here you can find the three HKL DVDs you're looking for, and for quite an affordable price:

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=41046

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=41049

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=43686

I don't know why Australian DVDs wouldn't be an option if the blu-ray player really is as all-region as it claims to be. Thanks!

Try amazon.co.uk failing that try Australia ( R4 ) but you may get them from there. Other than that you could try ebay.co.uk now and again or save some searches on there

I'm astounded at the prices the JC HKL remasters are going for now - a few years ago the retailers couldn't give them away!! Now they are way over the top prices but that's what happens when an artificial collector market is created (i.e by a company going out of business)

Cine Asia have released some of the HKL back catalogue so you never know the JC HKLs may get a re-release as well

Hmmm...how likely do you think that will be to happen? I'd heard the same about Dragon Dynasty - they were supposed to release Shaolin Wooden Men and Snake & Crane Arts, but they never did. Think it's worth waiting to see, or snag what I can now?

Thanks!

BlurayStation3

I also suggest going with the Australian HKL dvd's since they are a lot cheaper and easier to find than the UK versions.

chaos.com is a great site for AU HKL.

Hmmm...how likely do you think that will be to happen? I'd heard the same about Dragon Dynasty - they were supposed to release Shaolin Wooden Men and Snake & Crane Arts, but they never did. Think it's worth waiting to see, or snag what I can now?

Thanks!

I've no idea if it will happen or not - Maybe Cine Asia will try and sell the old skool JC films on the back of his commercial success. If Prodigal son can get a re-release then why not the JC HKLs?

If you see the HKL originals at a good price grab them but if not wait and see if they get issued again rather than pay over the top prices.

All the R4 dvds i have will play on R2 players anyhow.

You can check my site for different versions of the JC classics.

http://jackiechandvds.co.uk

I have. That's where I went looking for best versions of Jackie's films to buy once I found out my blu-ray player is all region. I love your site.

Is there a comparable one for Jet Li's films? I'd like to get a decent copy of Fong Sai Yuk.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone's help, I've snagged Dragon Fist and Shaolin Wooden Men, which have been on my list for a long time. Now all I need is Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin.

BlurayStation3

Good luck on that one. The Australian HKL version of Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin was just discontinued a few months ago. I managed to grab one from ebay before they were gone.

Well, apparently I was misinformed about my blu-ray player, so I'll be selling off my recent acquisitions. Sorry to waste everyone's time, and thanks anyway for the help.

Well, apparently I was misinformed about my blu-ray player, so I'll be selling off my recent acquisitions. Sorry to waste everyone's time, and thanks anyway for the help.

Hold up INCspot don't do anything too hasty. What seems to be the problem?

if it's a DVD region coding problem it could be possible to find a free code on the Internet to turn your Blu-ray into a multi-region DVD player. Secondly if you have no success and if you have an old DVD player there could be a free hack by simply pressing the right combination of buttons on your remote control.

Hold up INCspot don't do anything too hasty. What seems to be the problem?

if it's a DVD region coding problem it could be possible to find a free code on the Internet to turn your Blu-ray into a multi-region DVD player. Secondly if you have no success and if you have an old DVD player there could be a free hack by simply pressing the right combination of buttons on your remote control.

Is there one for an LG BD630 blu-ray player? I checked around, and there doesn't seem to be one for this model. (Then again, checking around told me it was all-region in the first place).

Archived