Avoiding the WORST old school dubbing team

Killer Meteor

Secret Executioner
Always thought crap dubbing was part of the joy of kung fu movies

Personally, I can enjoy a bad dub but depending on the type of movie I'm watching a bad dub can also completely ruin it. In the case of MA films a bad dub is not a problem.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

I think around the early to mid 90's is where my tolerance for dubs end. Anything after that I don't consider old school dubs, and can't stand listening to. Though I will always prefer canto anyway, since I love the language. Not too fond of mandarin.

There is this one cat on many of the Shaw brothers movies who sounds like he has one testicle with some high voice, usually does the villains voice.. Can't remember any off the top of my head, but it annoys me to no avail when he is a bad ass character, I think I heard him as Pai Mei once.

Edit: Just found an example as I was watching Invincible Armour, the guy who wants to marry the little boys sister, yup, he has the voice, although it is fitting for him, it is still annoying to hear, rofl.

Black.Dragon

A Daughter's Vengence (Crash Cinema)

Abbot White

These are my two worst dubs.. Truthfully I actually enjoy English dubs. There part of the reason I fell in love with Martial arts movies.

Killer Meteor
There is this one cat on many of the Shaw brothers movies who sounds like he has one testicle with some high voice, usually does the villains voice.. Can't remember any off the top of my head, but it annoys me to no avail when he is a bad ass character, I think I heard him as Pai Mei once.

Edit: Just found an example as I was watching Invincible Armour, the guy who wants to marry the little boys sister, yup, he has the voice, although it is fitting for him, it is still annoying to hear, rofl.

Yeah, he dubbed Chen Kuan Tai in Heroes Two. His opening narration in Snake & Crane Arts Of Shaolin will set your teeth on edge.

And he emasculated Hwang Jang Lee in Tiger Over Wall!

odioustrident

Has anyone seen American dubbers switch accents for the same character mid-film? I might have already posted about this... apologies if so.

hardboiled has pretty bad dubs

wonder who does the perverted old man voice (also always does dean shek) in every movie?

His opening narration in Snake & Crane Arts Of Shaolin will set your teeth on edge.

!

I love that guy's voice

Mr Sawuchi

I love the classic dubs from the 70's shaw brothers and Joseph Kuo vhs classics. I even find the British dubs from movies like "Fists and Guts" hilarious but the new dubs used on the Fortune Star DVD's for movies like "Warriors Two" and the dub used in movies like "Flag of Iron" make me want to tear my ears off and light them on fire!

I love the woman's voice who dubs Xiao Lai, the romantic interest of Little Tiger in 'Seven Steps of Kung Fu.' She's been in so many old Kung Fu films. I prefer the cheesy dubbing to subtitles in a lot of these films, unless the voices are unfamiliar. The dialogue is quite often hilarious, maybe because some of it doesn't translate to English well. I wonder if the dubbers have a script that they go by, translated from the original language - does anyone know? Sometimes it seems like they watch the movie before recording the dubbing and come up with their own interpretation. In 'Seven Steps of Kung Fu' there is a conversation between Xiao Lai and the woman from the 5 Hand Gang -

'I was caught by Li San Pei. I'll be sent to trial.'

'Is it serious?'

'It is. I betrayed my country. My family will die. Lucky, I'm an orphan. I have no family. Only - Xiao Lai - I'm fond of you.'

Bits like this add immensely to my love for these films. BTW, my copy of 'Seven Steps' is a VHS titled 'Empire of the Dragon'. I couldn't figure out who released it, but it reads 'FACING ALL DEATH VOL. 8' on the box.

Secret Executioner
And he emasculated Hwang Jang Lee in Tiger Over Wall!

Had to see it to believe it... It's quite amazing in its own way:

iQs6OYK22fM

In 'Seven Steps of Kung Fu' there is a conversation between Xiao Lai and the woman from the 5 Hand Gang -

'I was caught by Li San Pei. I'll be sent to trial.'

'Is it serious?'

'It is. I betrayed my country. My family will die. Lucky, I'm an orphan. I have no family. Only - Xiao Lai - I'm fond of you.'

Bits like this add immensely to my love for these films.

Gotta love that absurd dialogue. Things like this undoubtedly contribute to my love for these movies as well. :xd:

Ok Im just gonna ask. Why werent any of these movies made with regular audio? The only thing I could think of is the tech wasnt there yet, (China) but even then, what about just buying state of the art equipment?

Archived