Avoiding the WORST old school dubbing team

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteor

You know the ones. A bunch of lobotomised faux-Asians who don't know English, speaking deadly slowly, and STILL not pronouncing the words properly.

They inflicted their horrors on

MA SU CHEN

RAGE OF THE MASTER

RETURN OF THE ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN

SHAOLIN TIGER CLAW

Any others?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know the ones. A bunch of lobotomised faux-Asians who don't know English, speaking deadly slowly, and STILL not pronouncing the words properly.

They inflicted their horrors on

MA SU CHEN

RAGE OF THE MASTER

RETURN OF THE ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN

SHAOLIN TIGER CLAW

Any others?

7 Steps Of Kung Fu

Dragon Bruce Lee Part 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

I don't think the dub on SEVEN STEPS OF KUNG FU is that bad! Yes, Ricky Cheng's character comes off more annoying than need be, but I thought the general was pretty cool sounding!

Certainly not one of the dubs I think of as being overall terrible, like INCREDIBLE KUNG FU MISSION for instance!

Killer Meteor

I also find the majority of the Vaughan Savidge dubs grate on my nerves (DRAGON ON FIRE, SHAOLIN DRUNK MONK etc) but have a soft spot and funny bone for FEARLESS HYENA and REVENGE OF DRUNKEN MASTER.

I don't think the dub on SEVEN STEPS OF KUNG FU is that bad! Yes, Ricky Cheng's character comes off more annoying than need be, but I thought the general was pretty cool sounding!

Certainly not one of the dubs I think of as being overall terrible, like INCREDIBLE KUNG FU MISSION for instance!

Apart from the General (a far cry at that from the dub of Yu Tien Lung's General in Snake Crane Secret) and Chai Kai the teacher, everyone else sounds appalling in the dub of Seven Steps especially Cheng Tien Chi as the main lead :nerd:gosh !

I wanted to list Incredible Kung Fu Mission as well but it seems the dub suited the nature of the characters in the main cast; if we are talking about grammar phonetics or diction then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all

dubbed movies will fail.

TibetanWhiteCrane

For the most part, I avoid english dubs at all cost. I guess my number one personal pet peeve is the real thick, blue collar, british accents! I can't stand those!

Like the big bald guy in Incredible Kung Fu Mission.... that shit just makes my ears bleed!

For the most part, I avoid english dubs at all cost. I guess my number one personal pet peeve is the real thick, blue collar, british accents! I can't stand those!

Like the big bald guy in Incredible Kung Fu Mission.... that shit just makes my ears bleed!

Agreed ! he was the worst in Incredible Kung Fu Mission but I can tolerate the dubs of 7 Grand Masters, Snake In The Eagle's Shadow (apart from Teacher Li - Dean Shek's character of course)

Snake Crane Secret,Adventures At Shaolin, Killer Of Snake Fox Of Shaolin and Kung Fu Arts Horse Monkey And Tiger are also passable to me.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Agreed ! he was the worst in Incredible Kung Fu Mission but I can tolerate the dubs of 7 Grand Masters, Snake In The Eagle's Shadow (apart from Teacher Li - Dean Shek's character of course)

Snake Crane Secret,Adventures At Shaolin, Killer Of Snake Fox Of Shaolin and Kung Fu Arts Horse Monkey And Tiger are also passable to me.

No doubt, I can accept, like... even love me some old school dubs. But they are few and far between. For old school indie kung fu titles, you are rarely given a choice.

Seven Grandmasters is also a fave of mine!

Killer Meteor
I keep hearing the name Vaughan Savidge but have no idea what he sounds like.

I know he's a BBC presenter. Not sure if he actually dubbed voices, but he's credited with producing the dubs on those Asso Asia Korean imports.

Don't know it was particular team bu these are unintelligible

Abbot White

Drunken Fist boxing

These are just poor (along with the productions values)

Shaolin Ex Monk

Crystal Fist

Thundering Mantis

Also Prodigal son dub is awful, goofy and stupid and what were they thinking when dubbing LCYs voice!!!!?

Didn't think 7 Steps was that bad one or two goofy voices perhaps like in Fearless Hyena

Killer Meteor
Add that 3rd team that did the 80s Shaw movies( Legendary Weapons Of China, Super Ninjas, House Of Traps, etc). That crap is terrible. Don't care if I grew up with those movies dubbed, I will only watch them subbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_0KZKBYj78&feature=related

I'm not sure that's even a team - sounds like one very effeminate guy trying to dub everybody.

I do enjoy THE PRODIGAL SON's dub a lot!

Always thought crap dubbing was part of the joy of kung fu movies-lets face it the only dubbing that was good was the main group who did the Shaws (Heroes Two onwards) I cant imagine Fu Sheng with any other English voice than the one he had in those movies.

I once spoke over the phone to the guy who dubbed Ti Lung's voice in Avenging Eagle, and that was the wierdest phone call I've ever had, coz though I knew I was talking to an American in my minds eye all I could see was Ti Lung sitting by the fire talking to Fu Sheng in that Sun Chong masterpiece. Totally freaked me out, cheers for setting me up on that one Shapes.

I think my favourite crap dub-work is in Bruce the Superhero (go Le! go Le!) with those hilarious Portuguese sounding voices, I love having a few beers and watching this classic piece of Philipines filmed bollocks.

Killer Meteor
Always thought crap dubbing was part of the joy of kung fu movies-lets face it the only dubbing that was good was the main group who did the Shaws (Heroes Two onwards) I cant imagine Fu Sheng with any other English voice than the one he had in those movies.

Yes, I like those dubbers - though HEROES TWO does have the problem of Chen Kuan Tai being dubbed by a very girly sounding guy. Ted Thomas is a mainstay of those "Shaw" dubs - and he voiced Godzilla in GODZILLA VS GIGAN!

Not as bad as the voice Fu Sheng has in the dub of Men From the Monastery, sounds like someone illiterate trying to read a script-"show...no mercy...to...any...one"

I believe the dubber I talked to was called Rick Thomas though it was 14 years ago

It`s terrible and quality of audio track in otherwise nice pagoda films print is pretty bad too...Is there decent subtitled version around?

Archived