The Adventurers (Blu Ray)

Guest Markgway

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Bumpers...

Also can anyone confirm what the original audio mix is?

IMDB claims mono, but Mei Ah remastered DVD lists the original theatrical mix as 2.0 stereo.

Finally got to view the HK BD and think its actually quite good, definitely top-tier by Kam & Ronson standards (which might not mean much to the usual fraternity of screenshot-scanning “upscale!”, “upscale!” bawlers…). Noticed some dirt specks and smudges early on, but those were negligible. Clarity, image detail and color saturation are satisfying (yep, they DNR’ed it), the Camboadian (well, Phillippino actually) jungle and paddy settings displayed quite nicely. So I guess you could say that this is the best this film will ever look; don’t have the remastered Mei Ah DVD at hand at the moment, but the Blu appears to be a substantial upgrade.

Only Canto audio option is the bearable Dolby 7.1 track, the Mandarin dub sounds at least twice as loud (as a good number of other K & R discs do as well). Subs are well-timed but there are quite a lotta typos and a few bizarre Chinglisms, in other words they seem to be ported over from the older issue.

Almost forgotten how intense the film and its two female leads were (Rosamund Kwan and Wu Chien Lien) and gotta say I’m glad to part with 135 HK dollars to get this. Recommended!

Guest Markgway

I don't think the China Star films are upscales just DNR'd poorly mastered HD.

I think the mid-90s Star TV titles are upscales.

I don't think the China Star films are upscales just DNR'd poorly mastered HD.

Sounds quite plausible to me. I've seen China Star titles that didn't look as decent as this though. Yes, mastering is far from perfect, subs weren't revised, but the considerable upgrade in PQ is worth the investment.

Mei Ah Movies all seem to be REAL HD (they never lied when they named their HD Remasters in such way), Fortune Star Bullcrap mostly upscales (calling their upscales HD Masters in the Catalog), and what is NOT an upscale (Legend of wisely, Tiger on Beat, Code of Honor) is being filtered to death so folks don't see that MUCH bettter Quality (for example DOUBLE TAP) is possible.

What Chinese would NOT lose face if a z-grade Movie like Code of Honor looked way better than all their Jackie Chan & John Woo Movies?

after the perfect DOUBLE TAP is out now i'm pretty curious if they learned or will continue trying to fool customers... (and some still seem to believe the upscale bawlers just compare Screenshots and have no idea what they're talking about)

Guest Markgway
Sounds quite plausible to me. I've seen China Star titles that didn't look as decent as this though. Yes, mastering is far from perfect, subs weren't revised, but the considerable upgrade in PQ is worth the investment.

I'm still concerned about the audio though. If this WAS originally mono I've little interest in a 6.1 remix.

Mei Ah Movies all seem to be REAL HD (they never lied when they named their HD Remasters in such way)

Not good HD, but genuine at least, like Black Mask, etc.

I've ordered Hitman and Born Wild, which should be safe.

Fortune Star Bullcrap mostly upscales (calling their upscales HD Masters in the Catalog), and what is NOT an upscale (Legend of wisely, Tiger on Beat, Code of Honor) is being filtered to death so folks don't see that MUCH bettter Quality (for example DOUBLE TAP) is possible.

Any idea as to why some FS titles (such as the three aforementioned) are HD and some not? There doesn't appear to be any rhyme nor reason.

EDIT: I notice that there's a version of Legend of Wisely out there (presumably from HD) that bears a 2010 Fortune Star copyright. I wonder if the genuine HD titles are all new 2010 masters and the SD upscales are the older ones copyrighted 1993 and 1995 by Star TV? Might be worth checking for future reference.

I'm still concerned about the audio though. If this WAS originally mono I've little interest in a 6.1 remix.

As I said, the 7.1 remix is bearable (well, just about…generally, as long as there's no barrage of "foley" effects I can live with those mixes...). Off the top of my head I can’t remember any of the HK back-catalogue BD’s offering mono audio.

Judging from my last few visits in HK I think its safe to say that local publisher have all gone BD – and there’s no way back. Shelf space for BD’s is growing by leaps & bounds, DVD selections are shrinking... and fast! Yes, every new title is still available on DVD and VCD, but the days of the remastered catalogue DVD are definitely behind us. I think the last remastered DVD’s appeared a year or so ago. Back catalogue titles will only be available on BD from now on and, I believe, there’s not much hope that they slap mono audio tracks on these.

EDIT: I notice that there's a version of Legend of Wisely out there (presumably from HD) that bears a 2010 Fortune Star copyright. I wonder if the genuine HD titles are all new 2010 masters and the SD upscales are the older ones copyrighted 1993 and 1995 by Star TV? Might be worth checking for future reference.

I doubt it. Just watched EIGHTH HAPPINESS which also has a 2010 Fortune Star copyright and that is one of the poorest K & R Blu Rays I ever came across, one I really regret buying. I don’t have the remastered DVD but I’m convinced that the PQ of the BD is not one iota better and wouldn’t be surprised if its actually worse. Furthermore the subs flash by at an insane speed, a problem that the ancient Universe DVD already had.

Guest Markgway
I doubt it. Just watched EIGHTH HAPPINESS which also has a 2010 Fortune Star copyright and that is one of the poorest K & R Blu Rays I ever came across, one I really regret buying. I don’t have the remastered DVD but I’m convinced that the PQ of the BD is not one iota better and wouldn’t be surprised if its actually worse. Furthermore the subs flash by at an insane speed, a problem that the ancient Universe DVD already had.

OK, then. It was just another theory of mine proved wrong. :tongue:

Archived