Need help finding obscure heroic bloodshed movie

HKFanatic

Anyone else remember that documentary "Cinema of Vengeance"? I saw it at a formative age and it had a ton of clips of vintage Hong Kong kung fu and heroic bloodshed movies. There are two clips I can vividly remember even though it's been ages since I saw Vengeance on a old VHS copy. One is the shootout from "My Heart is That Eternal Rose" (which I finally saw), particularly the part where a gun is shot out of a guy's hand with a spray of blood.

Now I swear there was another 'heroic bloodshed' film shown in "Cinema of Vengeance" that contained a shootout in a small, cramped office (maybe in a module) where there was a water cooler. I clearly remember a guy's head being slammed against the water fountain and then shot point blank, and the cooler exploded behind him from the bullet.

Anyone have any idea what movie this might be? Or am I maybe just confusing it for "Dragon Family" since there's a water cooler in the background of that shootout?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Don't remember Cinema Of Vengeance, since it's been a while. Butthere's an office shootout in the 91' Andy Lau flick Hong Kong Godfather, I'll check for ya' later.

What did you think of My Heart is That Eternal Rose?

Now I swear there was another 'heroic bloodshed' film shown in "Cinema of Vengeance" that contained a shootout in a small, cramped office (maybe in a module) where there was a water cooler. I clearly remember a guy's head being slammed against the water fountain and then shot point blank, and the cooler exploded behind him from the bullet.

Sounds like Nobody's Hero.

odioustrident

It's Nobody's Hero. There is a subbed vhs and a raw laser which is somewhat better quality? Are there other subbed prints of this one?

Damn, you guys are good. Nobody's Hero, hmm, sounds like it'll be a hard movie to track down but...it's great to finally know.

Don't remember Cinema Of Vengeance, since it's been a while. Butthere's an office shootout in the 91' Andy Lau flick Hong Kong Godfather, I'll check for ya' later.

What did you think of My Heart is That Eternal Rose?

My Heart... probably had impossible expectations to live up to for me. I'd heard for years how it had one of the best shoot-outs of all time at the end. It's certainly a cool sequence but nothing to rival John Woo since it's over in about a minute. The ending shootout is in line with the rest of the movie, i.e. it's more about the visual poetry and emotion than extended action choreography.

It's a very stylish movie, I'm a big fan of Christopher Doyle so I enjoyed it. I like how, at least for a little while, I couldn't predict where the story was going to go. I found it funny that Tony Leung won a Best Supporting Actor award for his role. He was good but so baby-faced. His character was such a puppy dog. He really became more of a nuanced actor after working with Wong Kar-Wai on "Chunking Express."

Sorry if all that is a little incoherent, I'm suffering a cold right now.

Archived