Are Bruce Lee, Brucesploitation and Angela Mao films Bashers?

66 Mantis

If not, what would they be? Certaintly not Shapes, right? How would you classify these films . Been racking my brain on this one and just can't figure it out. Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, that's a poser.

I don't know that I'd personally define them as "basher" but I think you're correct in that they don't depict classical stylings/shapes as many early MA films do. At least, I don't think the Bruce Lee movies do. (Though he does seem to go off in Wing Chun mode sometimes.) Can't really speak regarding the Bruceploitation and Angela Mao films.

I'd say that Bruce's films are a bit more sophisticated (choreo-wise) than bashers but they aren't really shapes films either. Excepting, as ShaOW!linDude said Bruce's Wing Chun-isms.

Chinatown Kid

I tend to think of Bashers as fighting with crude or sloppy techniques, Bruce and Angelia had to fine a technique to be labled as that imo.

I think Brucexplanations where bashers(at least the early 70's one which I think your referencing)

Bruce was fluent basher was more regarded Karate but offensively fights without Bruces are bashers. Bruce does shapes training in WAY & ETD.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Bruce Lee movies has that Western style to it.. He utilizes a lot of footwork and boxing...

Archived