High and Low (1963)

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Akira Kurosawa is the fucking master!!!! The first half of the movie is all Toshiro Mifune's stirring performance and the 2nd half of the movie is this brilliant procedural police story, just pure awesomeness!!! Some people might think this shit is boring cinema but damn not me, this one is constructed brilliantly...

I have the Criterion Bluray and my only gripe is that the damn subtitles are hard to read as shit and you know why?? It's a black and white movie with white font subtitles???

Hello Criterion, add some dark black borders around your words or make optional yellow subtitles for chrissakes!!! Take lessons from animeigo, they know how to do Japanese movies with subtitles...

I think I might have to dive into the complete Kurosawa Filmography, class is in session...

24_BD_box_348x490.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've got a Criterion coll. Seven Samurai. Probably my favorite.

i don't think i've seen a Kurosawa film i didn' at least want to see again.

Beautiful cinematography.

This is one of the best crime films ever made - ingenius piece of work. Watched it twice within three days when I first saw it.

The subs can't be that bad, can they? I absolutely hate yellow subs (an American thing, haha :tongue:), especially on B&W films, so for me white subs sound like good news. Of course they need to have dark edges / shadow applied to them so that they don't blend it with the whites, though.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I hear yah Takuma... That was the problem in this movie during the house/phone call scene.. Everyone in the room was wearing white shirt and the subtitles being also white blended in the scene being hard to read... I usually never have any problem with Criterion and this is the first...

OpiumKungFuCracker

Spoiler alert for those who haven't seen it**********

There this one shot/scene in the movie where the kidnapper goes to this heroin/junkie alley and the way Kurosawa shoots that scene makes it look like Night Of The Living Dead... George Romero couldn't come up with that look.. I'm not sure if those people were actual Heroin addicts but damn, it hit me pretty hard... Not that I do heroin or anything but when you watch that scene, you feel it/ the miserable the suffering/ the walking dead comes to eat you, lol...

Has Akira Kurosawa ever done a horror movie??? Imagine if he did, HOLY SHITBALLS!!!!

masterofoneinchpunch
... I think I might have to dive into the complete Kurosawa Filmography, class is in session...

i've got a Criterion coll. Seven Samurai. Probably my favorite.

i don't think i've seen a Kurosawa film i didn' at least want to see again.

Beautiful cinematography.

Kurosawa has so many brilliant films and so many worth rewatching. For further study I highly recommend the books Donald Richie's "The Films of Akira Kurosawa" as well as Kurosawa's autobiography "Something Like an Autobiography."

With Criterion and Eclipse labels you can get all the available Kurosawa films. The only thing not available is the co-directed wartime film Those Who Make Tomorrow (is this available anywhere?).

I would say his worst film is probably The Most Beautiful then maybe Sanshiro Sugata II (I have reviews on both films here).

But High and Low (aka Heaven and Hell) is such a sublime masterpiece in it's use of cinematography, class dichotomy, plot etc...

I've yet to see High and Low but I have high expectations, don't think I've seen a movie with Toshiro where it wasn't a period piece.

Originally Posted by OpiumKungFuCracker

... I think I might have to dive into the complete Kurosawa Filmography, class is in session..

Cosign with that, I really been meaning to get to The Lower Depths and the Bad Sleep Well.

I highly recommend the books Donald Richie's "The Films of Akira Kurosawa" as well as Kurosawa's autobiography "Something Like an Autobiography."

Thanks for those, I need some new reading material:nerd:

I always thought that High and Low was one of Kurosawa's best and certaintly his most underrated film. A great example of Film Noir, too.

Of course when it comes to Kurosawa, I guess you can make the argument that most of his films are among his best! :wink:

Has Akira Kurosawa ever done a horror movie??? Imagine if he did, HOLY SHITBALLS!!!!

His Throne of Blood is pretty durn close to one.

masterofoneinchpunch
His Throne of Blood is pretty durn close to one.

A brilliant film with its elements echoing MacBeth.

Dreams has elements of horror in several of its segments.

Archived