Thor: The Dark World (2013)

AlbertV

As many have heard, Kenneth Branagh will NOT be directing the sequel to THOR, the Marvel Comics film about the Norse God of Thunder. Shooting is scheduled to begin in April and there were a few names rumored to take over the helm.

Entertainment Weekly has reported yesterday that Patty Jenkins, who directed the Charlize Theron film MONSTER and the pilot episode of the hit series THE KILLING, is being considered to direct THOR 2.

Chris Hemsworth will be returning as the Norse God of Thunder after THE AVENGERS. It is still unclear whether Natalie Portman will return as Jane Foster or even if Loki is the main villain again. We shall soon see.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's no great loss to me if NP doesn't return for a sequel. I'd love to see a different villain(s) brought into play, too. Say, for example, the Enchantress and the Executioner.

ShaOW!linDude

I saw today that this is may get a November 2013 release date rather than one in the summer.

It is official...Patty Jenkins will be directing Thor 2. Marvel confirmed the news today via Hitfix.

Thanks actually very cool. I think it could be a good thing and look forward to what she might bring to the movie.

Dark Horizons report: Jenkins leaves Thor 2

Patty Jenkins ("Monster") will no longer direct the "Thor" for Marvel Studios says Heat Vision.

After Kenneth Branagh confirmed he won't be returning to helm the sequel, Jenkins was hired for the gig - making her the first female director of a Marvel Studios movie.

Officially her departure is said to be due to "creative differences". Jenkins adds "I have had a great time working at Marvel. We parted on very good terms, and I look forward to working with them again."

As late as Monday afternoon Jenkins was actively working on the movie so her leaving is sudden. The hunt is now on for a new filmmaker and the vacancy is expected to be filled quickly.

Mads Mikkelsen was offered the lead villain role, but had to turn it down because he will be on the small screens in HANNIBAL, playing Dr. Hannibal Lecter. The series is a continuation of sorts after MANHUNTER (or RED DRAGON if you will) as he teams with FBI agent Will Graham on a series of murders.

Secret Executioner
It's no great loss to me if NP doesn't return for a sequel.

Agreed. While she's a central point of the plot for some time in this second film, most of the annoyance in the movie comes from her and her goofy sidekicks - who gives a shit about 2 nerdy teenagers when you have Asgard soldiers and evil elves kicking each others' asses ?

Otherwise, the movie is damn good, superior to the first one (and it was alreay one fine movie) and MUCH better than the horrendous Iron Man 3. The battles are epic, the character development is really deep (at least Thor has normal reactions to dire situations, unlike Tony Stark who goes from being depressed to silly jokes - schizophrenic much ?) and the plot is very constructed and flows well. It doesn't drag like some parts of IM3 did and at least, the main character doesn't lose the reason he is there in the end (when IM3 has Stark cured... What's next, resurrecting Bruce Wayne's parents in a Batman film ?). Basically, it's as though they knew they fucked up big time with their previous film and decided to put more effort into this one. Can't wait for the 3rd one, the end is really cool and calls for a new Thor movie - especially the post-end credits scene.

I must be in the minority here because I thought "Thor 2" was bad and easily one of the worst Marvel films yet. It seemed the director had no concept of what his film should be. They crowbar a million "look at this cute joke!" moments into it and they just fall flat each time (the hanging up of the hammer was the best joke in it).

I don't need to see Thor falling through dimensional gates. I need to see him twat people in the face with his giant hammer. I felt like this film was over-thought. "The Avengers" did it right and everyone else seems to pay no attention to that formula at all.

Secret Executioner
I don't need to see Thor falling through dimensional gates.

I gotta agree the "dimensional gate fight" felt a bit like "Peter vs the giant chicken" fight from Family Guy - but being a Family Guy fan, I found that rather funny.

masterofoneinchpunch

I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. Not great, but fun in the theater. Here are some comments I made elsewhere on the film:

I did not see the previous Thor in the theater and wanted to rectify that this time even though he is not in my favorite tier of superheros. The Marvel films do look great in the cinema. I also thought it appropriate to watch Thor on Thursday which is named after him. Got there early though was not much of a crowd as it was early and a school day. Good to see the Captain American: The Winter Soldier and X-Men: Days of Future Past trailers.

Where the film shines is in its use of the villain (partly hero here) Loki who is played with the maniacal glee of a wrestling heel. And like a good anti-hero you almost/do want to root for him. When you have a villain that is not disposable it can bring more facets to not only the character but the story arch in this continuing Marvel saga. He brings more emotion to the film because of his complicated relationship to his “brother” and parents than anyone else in the film.* Compare this to Thor’s perfunctory plot pals and his overly stereotypical romance with Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) and you feel he is the most fully formed character in the film.

In one “not meant to be hilarious scene” Loki’s crestfallen melancholy after the death of someone important to him led him to destroy his furniture and supposedly bloody the walls of his prison. But the color used made it look like he went mad and painted with his feces.

This is cinematic fast food, though I think you know that going in. It is not going to convert non-superhero fans and will probably not disappoint fans of the first. I did not think the direction was as well done as Kenneth Branagh did in the first. I thought Hopkins was somewhat sleep-acting through his role and Stellan Skargard’s Erik Selvig went into A-Team’s Murdock territory with his crazy nude routine that was somewhat funny and somewhat groan inducing.

As you should know by now (and apparently much of the crowd did not) you should stay for the end credits. There are two such ones in this film just like in The Avengers, the more important continuation of the storyline after the graphic credits and a fun one at the very end (which technically you can skip as it is more comical than anything else; though like the end credits in Adventures in Babysitting it does show something you might have questioned had you not seen it). Do expect a couple of cameos: the ubiquitous Stan Lee and one visit from another “superhero.”

* A review on ebert.com has the following quote from Simon Abrams which I found appropriate and hilarious: “Hemsworth and Hiddleston have such good chemistry that it sometimes looks like Thor and Loki will kiss before Thor and Jane will.”

Secret Executioner

Damn, looks like I did miss an easter egg. :cry:

I agree with masterofoneinchpunch on Loki: I really liked him in the first film, but here, he pretty much steals the show; I actually enjoyed his presence much more than Thor's and his one-liners when he "teams up" with Thor are really funny.

When does Stan Lee appears BTW ? I constantly fail to spot him in Marvel movies. :sad:

Didn't get to see Marvel-related trailers before the movie, but the new Hunger Games one. Geez, I couldn't help but think of Battle Royale II for some reason...

masterofoneinchpunch
Damn, looks like I did miss an easter egg. :cry:

I agree with masterofoneinchpunch on Loki: I really liked him in the first film, but here, he pretty much steals the show; I actually enjoyed his presence much more than Thor's and his one-liners when he "teams up" with Thor are really funny.

When does Stan Lee appears BTW ? I constantly fail to spot him in Marvel movies. :sad:

Stan has a spoken line in the film. My friend and several others in the audience gave a cheer when he appeared. He is the one who asked for his shoe back -- causing laughter from the audience.

As a refresher

(youtube link) Rewatching these I think The Amazing Spiderman has one of my favorites (the scene not the whole film.)

Secret Executioner
As a refresher
(youtube link) Rewatching these I think The Amazing Spiderman has one of my favorites (the scene not the whole film.)

Thanks for the vid, nice seeing all these appearances. Some are pretty funny.

Did anyone else feel as though the first post-credits sequence looked...well, cheap? I wonder if that's the aesthetic "Guardians of the Galaxy" is going for or whether it was filmed quickly and so didn't match the production values of the actual film.

As you should know by now (and apparently much of the crowd did not) you should stay for the end credits

I saw this at a private screening room called "the director's suites" at the Moore Warren in OKC. The ushers that seated people told every person to wait until after the credits to catch the extra scenes, which was very nice, but I don't get how this is still a surprise. Every movie in this marvel universe (except for The Incredible Hulk) have a post end-credits scene.

Also: loved this movie!

Did anyone else feel as though the first post-credits sequence looked...well, cheap? I wonder if that's the aesthetic "Guardians of the Galaxy" is going for or whether it was filmed quickly and so didn't match the production values of the actual film.

Your second theory is correct. That scene was filmed by James Gunn after Thor had wrapped because the studio wanted something in to tease GOTG. Alan Taylor wanted the Thor/Jane scene to be the sole post-credits one.

I saw the movie last weekend and it wasn't anything great, but it was fun enough. It did kind of drag until Loki became more of a focus of the movie. Hiddleston really does steal the show.

Archived