Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011)

Takuma

OpiumKungFuCracker

Saw this today, great movie.... Best soundtrack of the year, the dialogue is minimum just the way I like it and Albert brooks was great in this... I only see him in comedic roles and now would like to see him in more Jewish mobster type roles again...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All it takes is a couple of google searches/forum discussion and synopsis to know the difference between this movie and fast and the furious.. Clearly she didn't do her research and clearly she can't distinguish between what is real and what is movie magic...

Which is why she will ultimately lose or the suit will be dropped anyway. Ridiculous.

froffeecoffee
I'll check it out on DVD.

No, go check it out in theaters. You'll regret not seeing it on the big screen.

Seen it today and thought it was great! Well-plotted, great performances, intelligent, fantastic characters, and cool soundtrack!!!

The main character reminded me of Alain Delon's assassin from Le Samourai and Chow Yun Fat's character from The Killer. The Driver is a great anti-hero.

This is what film is all about when done right. No need for constant explosions and gratuitous violence, when you have characters to care about.

masterofoneinchpunch
...This is what film is all about when done right. No need for constant explosions and gratuitous violence, when you have characters to care about.

You don't think the stomping was gratuitous? :D

The main character reminded me of Alain Delon's assassin from Le Samourai and Chow Yun Fat's character from The Killer. The Driver is a great anti-hero.

Delon in Le Samourai is exactly where my mind went when I saw Driver as well. Superb movie, here's my mini-review copy/pasted from another website:

It has all the stuff you'd expect in a normal action flick (great car chases, and some shockingly graphic violence), but moves at a decidedly sedate pace, leaving plenty of time for scenes that elevate the dark mood and wonderfully seem to play out for several beats longer than necessary. Gosling is the Man with No Name for this generation, an enigmatic blank slate of a hero capable of practically anything. The 80's soundtrack is cool too, except that lame "Real Hero" tune. Hypnotic film. 9/10

When the movie ended I was floored. Not by the ending per se, but just by how good everything about the film was.

You don't think the stomping was gratuitous? :D

nope, it was exactly the right amount of stomping. :D

masterofoneinchpunch

Besides Le Samourai it is hard not to think of Travis Bickle (though with Bickle you get more Voice Over :)).

The stomping scene is psychological film violence at its best... it's shockingly violent, but actually, there's only 0.5 seconds of gore in that entire scene... and, you cannot actually even see more than a few centimeters of the victim's head. I've seen the film three times, and paid special attention to that scene... it's incredible how little they actually showed there... and how much people imagined...

About Drive and Taxi Driver... the characters share similarities and both are dreamers who have lost their sense of reality... but I think in Taxi Driver the viewer has a more objective view of the streets of New York. In Drive, however, we see L.A through the driver's eyes... that is, a romantisized pop-music view of L.A. which is only momentarily shattered when the real violence hits.

Oh and one more thing... I'm madly in love with the opening and closing credits... every time they make...

Me WANT to REWATCHthis CERTAIN 80's MOVIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8s42fbKjtM

Archived