Universal Pictures Preps A New ‘Scarface’

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Hollywood is at it again... What can you do at this point???

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/universal-pictures-readying-a-new-scarface/#comments

Universal Pictures Preps A New ‘Scarface’

By MIKE FLEMING

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures is developing a new version of Scarface, the title first released in 1932 and then turned into the iconic 1983 film that starred Al Pacino as Cuban gangster Tony Montana. I’d heard that the studio has been meeting writers to script a take for a film that will be produced by Marc Shmuger and Martin Bregman. Bregman produced the Pacino version.

The film is not intended to be a remake or a sequel. It will take the common elements of the first two films: an outsider, an immigrant, barges his way into the criminal establishment in pursuit of a twisted version of the American dream, becoming a kingpin through a campaign of ruthlessness and violent ambition. The studio is keeping the specifics of where the new Tony character comes from under wraps at the moment, but ethnicity and geography were important in the first two versions. In the 1932 Scarface, an Italian (Paul Muni) took over Chicago, and in the Brian De Palma-directed remake, a Cuban cornered the cocaine trade in 1980s Miami, only to be consumed by it. Ann Dvorak, George Raft and Boris Karloff starred in the original and Michelle Pfeiffer, Steven Bauer and Mary Elizabeth Mastrontonio starred in the remake.

Does the iconic Universal library title Scarface deserve an updated version for a new generation? I’m told that when Universal put together the 1983 film, there were howls of heresy; after all, the film was considered a Howard Hughes-produced classic, with a script by Ben Hecht. Howard Hawks directed it with Richard Rosson. The remake became iconic in its own way, particularly in influencing hip-hop culture. Tony Montana’s image is still widely merchandised; his signature line “Say hello to my little friend’ remains the biggest selling cell phone voice ringtone, and Universal has sold over 10 million DVD units worldwide.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have seen both the 1930's version with Paul Muni and of course, I have the Al Pacino version from the 80's.

Why do I have a feeling this one is going to involve either a Mexican or Colombian immigrant as both countries seem to have the most problems these days when it comes to drugs and drug wars.

Some remakes are ok, some really suck. It's always about good or bad...knowing me, I'll wait til it hits DVD. Would rather at least rent it for a buck or use a free rental code rather than spend 15 bucks at the theater.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I bet you 20 years down the line, we will get another adaptation of Harry Potter, right???? I'd say if Hollywood has the power to remake other movies from other countries, then other countries should have the right to remake movies from Hollywood, seems fair to me...

I mean look at Girl with the dragon tattoo... Do I need to see Fincher's version even though I've read all the books and watched all the movies done in Sweden, I mean I don't speak or read Sweden, so I guess it's fair that an American version is necessary?? I guess I'm not the targeted demographic, so I don't mind the remakes really if they give us a wide variety of other movies being released to the mass market... I guess what I'm trying to say is that there will be something for everybody, but don't count me as one of those people who will watch remakes/reboots unless I get the original version with the subtitles or as for a book done in another country/translated in English...

The film is not intended to be a remake or a sequel. It will take the common elements of the first two films: an outsider, an immigrant, barges his way into the criminal establishment in pursuit of a twisted version of the American dream, becoming a kingpin through a campaign of ruthlessness and violent ambition.

they can call it what they like it's a remake. With all the talented scriptwriters out of work why on earth do they need to make essentially the same film again?:squigglemouth:

they can call it what they like it's a remake. With all the talented scriptwriters out of work why on earth do they need to make essentially the same film again?:squigglemouth:

>$$$$$$$$$$$<

I don't see the concept working for Scarface today, what's he going to sell for his drug empire? Oxycontin? I'm sure they'll move it out of Miami, tone down the violence, and I like to see them get an actor that could match Pacino's performance. What a horrible waste of money remaking a movie no one wants to see:neutral:

OpiumKungFuCracker

^ Amen Tosh, Amen..... Instead of remaking it, just do a straight to video sequel??? What the fuck happened to those types of movies being made???

Hollywood stop with the remakes already it's getting really anoying. Your raping alot of classics turning them into shit, is this where it's going to now what ever happen to just make new movies but now it's remakes this and that, what's next there going to remake Rocky? Scarface should be left alone Al Pacino was brilliant in that flim. Oliver Stone directed a master piece, there's no way todays Hollywood could ever capture what the original had it was in a class of it's own todays actors aren't as good as Pachino and even De Niro. Even though he was not in the flim my point is some of todays actors are alright but none are as good as Pachino.

Hollywood stop with the remakes already it's getting really anoying. Your raping alot of classics turning them into shit, is this where it's going to now what ever happen to just make new movies but now it's remakes this and that, what's next there going to remake Rocky? Scarface should be left alone Al Pacino was brilliant in that flim. Oliver Stone directed a master piece, there's no way todays Hollywood could ever capture what the original had it was in a class of it's own todays actors aren't as good as Pachino and even De Niro. Even though he was not in the flim my point is some of todays actors are alright but none are as good as Pachino.

You should definitely check out the original 1932 version of SCARFACE that stars Paul Muni. It was truly a great gangster film of the classic Hollywood era.

You should definitely check out the original 1932 version of SCARFACE that stars Paul Muni. It was truly a great gangster film of the classic Hollywood era.

I heard it was good. Ill check that out it can't be worst than the remake.

Antonie Fuqua has returned to direct the film and there is a new writer in the form of Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer. The Mexican-born writer was known for the English language adaptation of Miss Bala.

Source: The Wrap

Archived