What if Rambo Kong played Xian in KICKBOXER (1989)?

AlbertV

ChiangCheng-7-b.jpg

I was reading a 2008 article about former 70's kung fu actor Rambo Kong (aka Chiang Cheng, Kong Kwok-Keung), and after he met Jean-Claude Van Damme on the set of BLOODSPORT and became his massage therapist, he said that Van Damme originally wanted Kong to play the role of Xian Chow in the film KICKBOXER.

Ultimately, the producers thought Dennis Chan made a better choice for the role and while Kong does agree, one can only wonder how Kong would have done in the role of Xian.

Many will know Kong as Mr. Ho, the Chinese cook who took on Bruce Lee (Jason Scott Lee) in DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY (1993).

Seeing Kong in the 70's films and in DRAGON, I think he would have made quite an interesting Xian Chow. I'm not sure of his comedic side, yet he did do some kung fu comedy in 36 CRAZY FISTS as Tony Leung Siu-Hung and Sammy Lau's beggar teacher.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm me thinks that might have been my article for Impact!

I think it would have been an interesting incarnation of X'ian, more physical perhaps.....Kong plays the master in Fists, Kicks & Evils...but Dennis Chan did give such a great turn

Dennis will pop up in NAKED SOLDIERS & Man with the Iron Fists, while Kong makes a nice little cameo in The Blood Bond

ChiangCheng-7-b.jpg

I was reading a 2008 article about former 70's kung fu actor Rambo Kong (aka Chiang Cheng, Kong Kwok-Keung), and after he met Jean-Claude Van Damme on the set of BLOODSPORT and became his massage therapist, he said that Van Damme originally wanted Kong to play the role of Xian Chow in the film KICKBOXER.

Ultimately, the producers thought Dennis Chan made a better choice for the role and while Kong does agree, one can only wonder how Kong would have done in the role of Xian.

Many will know Kong as Mr. Ho, the Chinese cook who took on Bruce Lee (Jason Scott Lee) in DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY (1993).

Seeing Kong in the 70's films and in DRAGON, I think he would have made quite an interesting Xian Chow. I'm not sure of his comedic side, yet he did do some kung fu comedy in 36 CRAZY FISTS as Tony Leung Siu-Hung and Sammy Lau's beggar teacher.

Hmmm me thinks that might have been my article for Impact!

You thinks right Big Mike!!! :D At my job last year, they were getting rid of past issues of Impact as we keep usually the current year and I was the one who got past issues :) So woohoo! :)

Awesome article Mike!

Archived