"The Kick" teaser trailer

ShaOW!linDude

Found this on Twitch today. It's looking nice to me but I fear it's going to also have a "corny comedy" feel to it. Still, the execution of some of these kicks look awesome!!!

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/09/ong-bak-director-shows-off-his-new-stars-in-teaser-for-the-kick.php

Here's the link I posted earlier for the poster and photos.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/09/poster-and-promo-images-from-prachya-pinkaews-the-kick.php

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Finally the teaser....it feels like forever since this movie was announced, nice find ShaOW!linDude. Personally I'll be approaching this with extreme caution, anything that comes from Prachya Pinkaew and doesn't also have Panna Rittikrai's name attached is normally a cringe inducing waste of time - latest example 'Elephant White'.

However the fact the Jeeja Yanin is onboard, together with the Korea based setting and cast, has me hoping it will turn out to be watchable fun. I hope the comedy element in it is more Korean in style than Thai though, I find there humor to match my tastes more.

This actually reminds me a lot of a stage show I went to in Korea last year called 'Jump!', which is a comedy about a family of tae kwon do experts. Very funny and I'd strongly recommend checking it out if it ever hits the theaters around your area, these guys have some incredible moves and some great choreography, all performed live!

V5S17Z9Kg9A

I honestly don't know what to say after watching that teaser trailer. I assume it's not what the film will actually look like just a taste of the martial arts, right?:squigglemouth:

What I saw looks good and stylish but I would rather see this in the context of the film itself before getting carried away and excited. I'm also concerned about the comedy element does anybody know how much comedy will be in it? I think that may well be the sticking point for me and will most likely see me hold off until it's extremely cheap.

This actually reminds me a lot of a stage show I went to in Korea last year called 'Jump!', which is a comedy about a family of tae kwon do experts. Very funny and I'd strongly recommend checking it out if it ever hits the theaters around your area, these guys have some incredible moves and some great choreography, all performed live!

That looks pretty cool! I'd like to check that out. Thanks, OAB.

I honestly don't know what to say after watching that teaser trailer. I assume it's not what the film will actually look like just a taste of the martial arts, right?

What I saw looks good and stylish but I would rather see this in the context of the film itself before getting carried away and excited. I'm also concerned about the comedy element does anybody know how much comedy will be in it? I think that may well be the sticking point for me and will most likely see me hold off until it's extremely cheap.

I get what you're saying. My reaction was "well, okay, this is all looking kind of cool but just what is the film about". I don't want to come off as a hypocrite because I've stated many times that generally, for me, the plot of a MA film not that big a deal as I view it as really just serving to get from Fight Sequence A to Fight Sequence B. Still, as a film fan, a brief synopsis would be nice and generally accompanies promotional releases of the movie art or trailer.

The trailer to me is kind of cool 'cause I find it to be reminiscent of the opening credit sequences of many old MA films which were a showcase of the style in the film.

One Armed Boxer
Very impressive kicking.

Definitely, the first guy clearly took a few notes from John Liu in 'Secret Rivals':tongue: -

iWCMbZ-o94Q

I honestly don't know what to say after watching that teaser trailer. I assume it's not what the film will actually look like just a taste of the martial arts, right?

What I saw looks good and stylish but I would rather see this in the context of the film itself before getting carried away and excited.

As the article that ShaOW!linDude posted a link to suggests, I think the teaser is just a showcase for the performers to show off their stuff, much like the opening credit sequences of old where the guys in the movie would strut their stuff in front of a plain background while the titles roll, this time just with added water.

I'm also concerned about the comedy element does anybody know how much comedy will be in it?

a brief synopsis would be nice

I think this will almost definitely be a comedy much in the vein of the kind of broad slapstick humor that seems to be popular in Thailand right now, the plot synopsis which is also available in the article that ShaOW!linDude posted also confirms as much. I'm actually amazed at how similar this sounds to the stage play 'Jump!', and would be interested to know if it's a stage to screen remake of some sort, even the promotional poster is similar.

Synopsis -

Moon is a Taekwondo master running an old Taekwondo gym in Bangkok. All five members of his family are also the masters of Taekwondo in different styles: his wife Yoon in cooking style, son Taeju in dancing style, daughter Taemi in soccer style, and the youngest Typhoon can break anything with his strong forehead.

Moon wants his children to be Taekwondo coaches to take over his gym in future. However, regardless of their father's will, Taeju wants to be a famous pop singer and Taemi is only interested in her secret crush at school.

One day, Taekwon family encounters treasure robbers on the street by accident and happens to get caught into fight with them. With surprising martial art skills, TK family knocks down the robbers and takes back the stolen treasures. The head of the robbers Pom, who is notorious for many crimes, escapes alone and trembles with rage.

TK family becomes famous in public. But, They do not know that Pom is planning to get his revenge.

77753_P03_104404.jpg

Well, D'UH! I'm a idiot. I read that synopsis and it just didn't register. Need to work on my reading comprehension and retention.

I've been excited for this one and, sadly, I now think it'll be a dud. Granted, the teaser doesn't show much but even what's on display isn't anything we haven't seen before in a million You Tube show reels.

I hoped the comedy would be played down but it seems like they've gone in the opposite direction and will ham it up. I'll reserve full judgment until I see actual footage.

By the way, who is doing the choreography for this one?

By the way, who is doing the choreography for this one?

Here you go, DM. You need to work on your reading comprehension and retention, too.:tongue:

Perhaps intrigued by his Chocolate star Jija Yanin's training in taekwondo the Ong Bak director enlisted the help of fight choreographer Master An of the Korean Tigers and the skills of stars Na Tae-joon, Kim Kyung-suk, Cho Jae-hyun and Yi Ji-won to step away from his trademark muay thai based action and into the world of taekwondo.

One Armed Boxer

Wow...that trailer must hold some kind of record for the amount of people spinning around in the space of under 2 minutes! No doubt completely unrealistic, but hey this is screen fighting, and that trailer was enough to sell me on watching it for sure.

& yeah....that final shot actually got a laugh out of me as well!

Drunken Monk

I'm seriously hoping for some good exchanges in this film. I'm a little tired of seeing bag guys standing on the spot, waiting for the good guy to spin around nineteen times and plant a kick in their face.

I want to see some really good choreography and not just things I'd see in any old show reel. "Bangkok Knockout" impressed me with its combination of the two.

I'm seriously hoping for some good exchanges in this film. I'm a little tired of seeing bag guys standing on the spot, waiting for the good guy to spin around nineteen times and plant a kick in their face.

I want to see some really good choreography and not just things I'd see in any old show reel. "Bangkok Knockout" impressed me with its combination of the two.

Lol! Your second sentence got a good laugh at of me. You make a good point though.

ShaOW!linDude

Here's an interview clip with some of the cast. This also contains additional snippets of footage. It's in Korean, however, but still proves interesting, I think. This has a scheduled theatrical release date of November 3rd.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/10/meet-the-taekwondo-family-in-prachya-pinkaews-the-kick.php

Had it for a bit. Finally watched it. Uh, whatever. K Kim kid is good. Reminds me of Jack without the 'I'm scared all of the time but I can actually fight" thing. He's got that acrobatic athleticism. As far as the action goes, it's ok but too spotty. It's full of tricks. Problem is when you do it all of the time, in all of your action but don't use it as a finisher but just anything move, you kill the whole thing.

Where did you watch this, it seems to have vanished and i cant see any dvd release announced.

I got hold of a dvd copy from a friend. It was eng subbed but it was badly done so I couldn't really follow what was going on dialogue wise! Alot of double spin kicks and somersault kicks but not much else. Many of the exchanges between fighters lack power and look weak even though they get hit for real and do falls and stunts. Jeeja performed decent here mixing elbows and knees with kicking though not as much as the other fighters. Action does get very repetitive after a while seeing spin kick after spin kick!

One Armed Boxer
Where did you watch this, it seems to have vanished and i cant see any dvd release announced

The Korean version is scheduled for an April 25th release according to yesasia -

http://www.yesasia.com/global/the-kick-dvd-korea-version/1030767729-0-0-0-en/info.html

I'm still going to give this a go and will be approaching it from the view point of a Korean movie, seeing as all the trailers I watched were from the Korean side of things....we'll see how much that effects my judgement as opposed to approaching it from a Thai movie perspective.

lillippa328

watched it with no subs...probly didnt miss much..it was decent...some good action...a lot of cliche acting and plot i can tell even without the subs lol....fight scenese are cool, but like others stated kinda repetitive

Archived