End Battle : Dragon Fight Jet Li

David Rees

Here is the end fight from Dragon Fight with Jet Li and Dick Wei. Just shows Jet doesnt need Wires to show his stuff!..Dont think this is available on dvd at the moment.

g4RP-S2GIw8

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first time I got this, it was unsubbed and I'll watch anything with Dick Wei in it. About the wires thing, I like Jet's more grounded performances. However, can someone mention how many times and when he got injured? Because it seems that's always used to explain the wires and / or the doubling.

There's never been an official release for it that I know of. I have come across dvds of it. Can't remember which site though. Odds are they're boots.

Still........while not an intentional supporter of bootlegs, I may have to get this at some point. It's one of my favorite Jet Li films. There's some great choreography in this.

I've never seen this fight so thanks for posting it! It really is refreshing to watch Jet Li's more grounded work. It always looks so infused with style and poise. Love it.

It's good to see Dick Wei can break out the moves, even when wearing a leather jacket that looks like it weighs 40 pounds.

Is the rest of the film this good?

The long haired guy in the leather jacket that fights Dick Wei is Steven Ho, who appeared in another Jet film, THE MASTER, and then played Donatello in TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES II & III.

The African-American guy in the suit is Mark Williams, who was also in THE MASTER (as the Hawks gang leader with the dreads) and then co-starred in COLLEGE KICKBOXERS as Ken McLeod's college roommate/friend.

The rest of the film was not bad at all. It was an early performance by Stephen Chow and this is the film where Jet met his current wife, Nina Li Chi.

There's never been an official release for it that I know of. I have come across dvds of it. Can't remember which site though. Odds are they're boots.

Still........while not an intentional supporter of bootlegs, I may have to get this at some point. It's one of my favorite Jet Li films. There's some great choreography in this.

:tinysmile_angry2_t: I thought I had a legit copy :tinysmile_angry2_t: I didn't realise HKflix sold bootlegs.:squigglemouth:

It really is refreshing to watch Jet Li's more grounded work. It always looks so infused with style and poise. Love it.

I've got to agree I've always enjoyed Jet Li is more grounded work and always thought it was a shame he wasted his talent on so many wire work-based films... not that they're not good but I prefer his stuff with minimal or no wre work

:tinysmile_angry2_t: I thought I had a legit copy :tinysmile_angry2_t: I didn't realise HKflix sold bootlegs.:squigglemouth:

Dude, you probably do. I'm just guestimating. I wouldn't think HKFlix would've sold boots. I don't know that one could find this on Amazon though I've not looked for it in years. That's why I think I've probably seen it on dvd elsewhere and that it may be a vhs transfer ergo a boot. May have to search for this for fun this weekend.:xd:

The rest of the film was not bad at all. It was an early performance by Stephen Chow and this is the film where Jet met his current wife, Nina Li Chi.

I did not know that. Cool.

Yeah, man. It's a little slow at first but when it kicks in I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least, bro.

Dude, you probably do. I'm just guestimating. I wouldn't think HKFlix would've sold boots.

They definately sold lots of boots. Legit stuff too, but lots of boots.

There have been legit releases of Dragon Fight, but I'm not sure any legit versions had English subs. There is a Japanese one that is available now, but of course, it's doesn't have any English subs and it costs $50.

This was decent entertainment. The first bit of the clip (Jet fighting Dick Wei) didn't do anything for me though. It gets very repetitive after a while with the exchanging.

• Administrator
About the wires thing, I like Jet's more grounded performances. However, can someone mention how many times and when he got injured? Because it seems that's always used to explain the wires and / or the doubling.

I used to know all the details, but they're foggy at this point. If I remember correctly, Jet broke his ankle in a most severe manner while filming his debut SHAOLIN TEMPLE. He was told that it'll never will be the same/heal completely after the injury, and leaping through the air for big jumps or kicks was too much of a risk that it would rebreak. However, I think he rebroke it on OUATIC part 1 as during certain scenes where you can only see him from the waist up, he is actually sitting in a wheelchair while performing his upper body moves (this part I know for a fact)! I'm pretty sure that I read in an interview with him that doctors told him "if you ever break it again you won't be able to ever walk again". :squigglemouth: I think this is why and where his "I'll never do kung fu films" declaration first came out. Hopefully someone with the written info nearby, or at least a better memory, can verify or correct this info.

You're right. At least no legit discs WITH English subs anyway. And YES, you must see this man.

I've never seen this fight so thanks for posting it! It really is refreshing to watch Jet Li's more grounded work. It always looks so infused with style and poise. Love it.

It's good to see Dick Wei can break out the moves, even when wearing a leather jacket that looks like it weighs 40 pounds.

I love seeing this grounded fighting too. And I couldn't gree more- Dick Wei is a beast! To answer your question, personally, I thought this was a really cool film throughout. Not only good action, but an interesting storyline and fine acting. Stephen Chow gives a terrific totally straight performance in this too. If you haven't seen Stephen in anything but comedies, you can also check him out in John Woo's (minor compared to his classics, yet quite enjoyable) JUST HEROES.

The long haired guy in the leather jacket that fights Dick Wei is Steven Ho, who appeared in another Jet film, THE MASTER, and then played Donatello in TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES II & III.

The African-American guy in the suit is Mark Williams, who was also in THE MASTER (as the Hawks gang leader with the dreads) and then co-starred in COLLEGE KICKBOXERS as Ken McLeod's college roommate/friend.

Great info Albert! :bigsmile:

I've got to agree I've always enjoyed Jet Li is more grounded work and always thought it was a shame he wasted his talent on so many wire work-based films... not that they're not good but I prefer his stuff with minimal or no wre work

Ditto! :nerd:

They definately sold lots of boots. Legit stuff too, but lots of boots.

There have been legit releases of Dragon Fight, but I'm not sure any legit versions had English subs. There is a Japanese one that is available now, but of course, it's doesn't have any English subs and it costs $50.

Ouch. The Japanese release such gorgeous looking DVDs that I'd actually buy them once in a while (for bonafide classics) if the had English subs. What a drag that they don't. :sad:

BTW ya'll, out kung fu brother (seriously, he's a legit, and mad talented practitioner of the arts) Rogue Warrior, aka. "Master of the Shaw Brothers Posters" is in DRAGON FIGHT as an extra! :nerd: He got to meet all of the stars and took pictures on the set. If we ask nice, perhaps he'll even share them with us here? :wink: I've seen some of them, and they're very cool.

There is a DVD in Thailand. If anyone wants it, I can get it for you. I also have a US video tape of it for sale. Anyone wants it, talk to me.....:angel:

BOB, thanks for the answer, I also recall reading that he injured himself doing the scene in OUATIC where he jumps with the umbrella but I may be remembering that wrongly. Dick Wei is the man, I wish Retreat of the Godfather was out, I remember asking about it here and being told that an American release had been planned.

One Armed Boxer

Great clip, this is a movie I've always wanted to pick up, after all how often do you get to see Jet Li performing some "hate"!? But like others have mentioned, as far as I'm aware the only copy with English subtitles was the Red Sun bootleg available from the now defunct hkflix site, so I stayed away.

There is a Japanese one that is available now, but of course, it's doesn't have any English subs and it costs $50.

Good to know, I might try and track it down this weekend.

I used to know all the details, but they're foggy at this point. If I remember correctly, Jet broke his ankle in a most severe manner while filming his debut SHAOLIN TEMPLE. He was told that it'll never will be the same/heal completely after the injury, and leaping through the air for big jumps or kicks was too much of a risk that it would rebreak.

Hey KFB...interesting information. However I recall Jet performs some pretty intensive acrobatic wushu in both 'Shaolin Temple 2' and 'Shaolin Temple 3' as well, especially during the finales, or maybe my memory isn't serving me correctly?

Dick Wei is the man, I wish Retreat of the Godfather was out, I remember asking about it here and being told that an American release had been planned.

Yeah, Dick Wei could pretty much brighten up even the dullest movie, the guy always fought like he was out to kill....I found a decent compliation clip of him on youtube -

lSOAFz_VrP4

There is a DVD in Thailand. If anyone wants it, I can get it for you. I also have a US video tape of it for sale. Anyone wants it, talk to me.....:angel:

I found the disc thanks to The Dirty Tiger mentioning it is available in Thailand.it's quite cheap from here…. http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=42748

Only seven dollars including shipping worldwide. :eek: The cover looks strange and looks like a picture of Jet Li circa "Danny the Dog". I definitely won't be upgrading despite being disappointed discovering I had inadvertently bought the red sun boot.:squigglemouth: I just don't have the funds available and would rather when I do have some cash get something new. I am however curious whether it's anamorphic widescreen or just letterbox and how the quality of the disc as a whole is?

Yeah, Dick Wei could pretty much brighten up even the dullest movie, the guy always fought like he was out to kill....I found a decent compliation clip of him on youtube -

lSOAFz_VrP4

I've got to agree you know when Dick Wei is in the film you're going to see him in some good fights. Having said that recently watched "pedicab driver", having not watched it for many years, upon seeing it I thought that's Dick Wei ! Those guys are going to regret fucking with him, bracing myself for an awesome fight scene and he just dies, barely even a fight. Couldn't believe it. :eek:

could anyone list those dick wei movies, i recognise a few but not all.

he`s one of the best villians ever with mad talent.

The only ones I can help with are these:

Fighting w/Yuen Biao ---- Rosa

Fighting w/Sammo Hung --- Owl vs Bombo (I think) & Carry On Pickpocket

Fighting w/Jackie Chan --- Heart Of Dragon; Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars; My Lucky Stars

Fighting in suited goons in field ---- Dragon Fight starring Jet Li

The other clips I didn't recognize and I think I'm correct on the 1st clip of him fighting Sammo. The rest I'm sure of.

• Administrator
BOB, thanks for the answer, I also recall reading that he injured himself doing the scene in OUATIC where he jumps with the umbrella but I may be remembering that wrongly. Dick Wei is the man, I wish Retreat of the Godfather was out, I remember asking about it here and being told that an American release had been planned.

I have RETREAT OF THE GODFATHER. It's a dubbed and full-screen VHS, but I have it. PM me your addy and if the tape doesn't have a copy block I'll put it on DVD-R for you.

Great clip, this is a movie I've always wanted to pick up, after all how often do you get to see Jet Li performing some "hate"!? But like others have mentioned, as far as I'm aware the only copy with English subtitles was the Red Sun bootleg available from the now defunct hkflix site, so I stayed away.

Good to know, I might try and track it down this weekend.

Hey KFB...interesting information. However I recall Jet performs some pretty intensive acrobatic wushu in both 'Shaolin Temple 2' and 'Shaolin Temple 3' as well, especially during the finales, or maybe my memory isn't serving me correctly?

OAB- I just added DRAGON FIGHT to the movies I'm sending you. So don't bother looking for it.

Yes, Jet did do a lot of crazy leaps and such in those. I'll have to pull out the books I have on him and check aa few interviews when I get a minute.

Having said that recently watched "pedicab driver", having not watched it for many years, upon seeing it I thought that's Dick Wei ! Those guys are going to regret fucking with him, bracing myself for an awesome fight scene and he just dies, barely even a fight. Couldn't believe it. :eek:

If you think about it, that's a method that Sammo uses to introduce new villains. Billy Chow wiped Dick Wei out. In Dragons Forever there's a similar thing with Yuen Wah taking James Tien out of the picture.

One Armed Boxer
could anyone list those dick wei movies, i recognise a few but not all.

The only ones I can help with are these:

Fighting w/Yuen Biao ---- Rosa

Fighting w/Sammo Hung --- Owl vs Bombo (I think) & Carry On Pickpocket

Fighting w/Jackie Chan --- Heart Of Dragon; Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars; My Lucky Stars

Fighting in suited goons in field ---- Dragon Fight starring Jet Li

The other clips I didn't recognize and I think I'm correct on the 1st clip of him fighting Sammo. The rest I'm sure of.

To add to ShaOW!linDudes list, I`m not sure of them all either, but the fight with Mark Houghton is from `Final Run`.

OAB- I just added DRAGON FIGHT to the movies I'm sending you. So don't bother looking for it.

Wow, cheers KFB, always appreciated! Sorry to be a pain, but since you mentioned you have `Retreat of the Godfather`, could you possibly DVD-R that for me as well? I definitely owe you one...well, several...for your kindness!

Jet injured his back while making Born to Defend

How is `Born to Defend`? I`ve heard mixed things about it, but know it`s one of the few modern day efforts from Jet which feature more grounded action, as well as being his only directorial outing, is it worth a watch?

How is `Born to Defend`? I`ve heard mixed things about it, but know it`s one of the few modern day efforts from Jet which feature more grounded action, as well as being his only directorial outing, is it worth a watch?

Get it, bro! It's a good story and the choreography's great.

I had the vhs and some of the action scenes were a bit dark especially during the end fight. When I upgraded to dvd the copy I got was much better. Here's what I have. It's a great copy to get.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Defense-Jet-Li-Collection/dp/B0001KL3A0/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1316318699&sr=1-2

Archived