Harakiri on Blu ray first week of October from Criterion!

waywardsage

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if I mentioned this release yet:

http://www.criterion.com/films/743-harakiri

I ordered it from B&N when they had their 50% off Criterion sale a few months back. I can't wait to check it out. According to the release in Britain, it had an amazing transfer!

The library I work in already has this title and in Criterion form. 2 disc set :) Actually we just acquired a lot of Criterion titles, including the AK100 set

masterofoneinchpunch

Here is DVDBeaver on that upcoming release: Harakiri

I'll put the important quote between that BD and the MOC release:

ADDITION: Criterion - Region 'A' - Blu-ray - September 11': Criterion may have spun some of their digital magic and the contrast (always a Criterion hallmark) may be a bit more defined. And as detail is a function of contrast (brighter as well as richer black levels) - it may have the perception of being sharper. But what is notable is the amount that is cropped on the two sides edges and the bottom of the frame of the Criterion in comparison to the Masters of Cinema. Surprising, but I'd be lying if I didn't way I wasn't impressed with the 1080P image that shows more grain. Both have definite pluses in their favor and the region-locking leaves few with the ability to choose. Let's examine the other differences.

Criterion stay faithful with a linear PCM mono track in uncompressed. My crusty ears couldn't state with any certainty which lossless track was superior but there were slight differences - with the Criterion sounding slightly more robust in some areas. I don't consider it a bog e factor though and both offer optional English subtitles

Criterion take a strep ahead with the extras which duplicate the 2005 DVD (Donald Richie, the interviews and the "Masterless Samurai Shinobu Hashimoto on Harakiri" featurette plus the liner notes booklet with essay by celebrated film scholar Joan Mellen and a reprint of her 1972 interview with Kobayashi) - only the video is now in HD.

I won't denounce either Blu-ray package although am still surprised by the cropping. Depending on your region we endorse both releases.

This is an excellent film and one of my favorites (I already have the Criterion DVD release of this; I'll eventually pick up the BD).

OpiumKungFuCracker
Dubious title aside, I'm for jidai geki on Criterion Blu!

EDIT: Just noticed the cropping. Gah, am I going to import the MoC?

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do and the MOC version is dual has both dvd/bluray.. Here is another unsatisfied customer who reviewed the product on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Harakiri-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray-Tatsuya/dp/B005D0RDCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317656293&sr=8-1

The film itself is a masterpiece - the build-up of tension as the main character tells his story, climaxing in his final lesson - you will not find anything like it in cinema. And as always with Criterion, the image quality and extras are unparalleled.

But there is one major problem that existed in their DVD release and still exists in the Blu-ray edition: the sides have been cropped by about 10% total. See DVDBeaver for several side-by-side comparisons (particularly, the scene in which Chijiiwa is seated in a white robe, surrounded by clan members - one guy on the left is cropped out, destroying the composition of the scene).

It appears that only the Masters of Cinema Blu-ray edition has the right composition, but unfortunately the detail appears to be slightly lacking compared to Criterion.

Hopefully Criterion will realize this problem and correct it in future releases.

Dude:neutral: what are you trying to do??? Break me here!

:xd::xd::xd:

Man I could drop a small fortune on that site.

:bigsmile: It's tough. I was able to limit myself to Kuroneko and Harakiri....must...resist....Stagecoach....

I've been eying Kuroneko. But i've never seen it. Is it worth owning? I'm a huge Samurai film fan, but not a horror film fan.

I've been eying Kuroneko. But i've never seen it. Is it worth owning? I'm a huge Samurai film fan, but not a horror film fan.

I have not seen it myself, but I've read great reviews of both the movie and blu ray. Although I don't care for modern graphic-violence horror, I'm a huge fan of the more atmospheric old-school horror (from all countries), so I'm sure I'll like this. I have seen Onibaba, which was a similar movie and which I really liked. Here's the trailer:

PmNhYzQMQtU

I picked up Kuroneko, but have yet to watch it. I'll write something after I view it. By the way, If your on the wire about picking this up, right now Barnes and Noble are having 50% off (SRP price - still a good deal) all criterion titles till Nov. 21.

James

This sale happens every November and July. Also, Criterion will be announcing their Febuary releases on Tuesday. On their facebook page they posted a picture/hint that is from a samurai flick. I was unable to copy and post it here.

masterofoneinchpunch
This sale happens every November and July. Also, Criterion will be announcing their Febuary releases on Tuesday. On their facebook page they posted a picture/hint that is from a samurai flick. I was unable to copy and post it here.

l53R.jpg

masterofoneinchpunch

In Feb. it is going to be Three Outlaw Samurai. Definitely looking forward to this (already seen the Cheh remake).

Holy cow, just watched Harakiri on blu ray. I had never seen the movie before, and it was just incredible. Stunning movie, stunning blu ray quality---just a hallmark in filmmaking, IMO. That's a story that's going to stick with me, for sure.

Archived