What is the sustained availability of Shaw Bros movie DVDs like?

blue_skies

I've never really watched a great deal of Shaw Bros movies but I was kindly given a few recently and it has piqued my interest. Unfortunately my funds available to pick up these films are very slight. So what I really wanted to know is how long do these titles generally stay available for? Is there any particular distributor in the US/region three distributor more likely to go out of print quicker? Hopefully then I can prioritise so I can get to see good quality versions of the films I want to see before they vanish.

Thanks for any help.:smile:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bootlegs have been around forever, however, the remastered versions-especially the more popular titles-are vanishing faster than my funds!

:bigsmile::xd:

The bootlegs have been around forever, however, the remastered versions-especially the more popular titles-are vanishing faster than my funds!

:bigsmile::xd:

that's kind of what I feared.:squigglemouth:

is there one distributor of the remastered versions that tends to go out of print more frequently than others? For now I'm looking at trying to get "venoms" movies andFive element Ninjas are there any titles I should try and pick up in a hurry?

Hey PM me if your interested in authentic region 3 ivl Venom Titles. If you interested I have several for sale. I'm selling them for $12.00 dollars apiece. If you buy 3 or more then $10.00 apiece. These ivl's are the ones people are after. I know for a fact that I have: Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Invincible Shaolin, Two Champions of Shaolin, and Sword Stained with Royal Blood. I may have more. I'll check.

masterofoneinchpunch

RE: R1

All the DVDs are still pretty cheap and can be found at multiple online locations.

The BD release of the BCI Opium and the Kung Fu Master is the most expensive R1 OOP Shaw Brothers release right now (thank goodness I have it).

While the other BCI releases are plentiful (and Funimation rereleased the two) those might be ones you want to pick up if you have to have everything.

I would think the Shaw Brothers Metal Tin: Epic Heroes would be a nice pickup as well and one that might go OOP earlier than others.

But to be exact you can check all the links I have for the R1 releases in the thread we have here.

Hey PM me if your interested in authentic region 3 ivl Venom Titles. If you interested I have several for sale. I'm selling them for $12.00 dollars apiece. If you buy 3 or more then $10.00 apiece. These ivl's are the ones people are after. I know for a fact that I have: Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Invincible Shaolin, Two Champions of Shaolin, and Sword Stained with Royal Blood. I may have more. I'll check.

Cheers razorclam, I'm currently a bit short and I'm just trying to work out the best plan to obtain as many titles as I can, when I can. I may PM you at a later date, if that's okay?

I was given Invincible Shaolin, Two Champions of Shaolin and Rebel Intruders amongst a bunch of other Shaw Brother movies . :xd:

RE: R1

All the DVDs are still pretty cheap and can be found at multiple online locations.

The BD release of the BCI Opium and the Kung Fu Master is the most expensive R1 OOP Shaw Brothers release right now (thank goodness I have it).

While the other BCI releases are plentiful (and Funimation rereleased the two) those might be ones you want to pick up if you have to have everything.

I would think the Shaw Brothers Metal Tin: Epic Heroes would be a nice pickup as well and one that might go OOP earlier than others.

But to be exact you can check all the links I have for the R1 releases in the thread we have here.

thanks mate.:smile:

So what I really wanted to know is how long do these titles generally stay available for? Is there any particular distributor in the US/region three distributor more likely to go out of print quicker?

With the exception of the US, I'm not aware of any country that is currently producing Shaw titles, so they are pretty much out of print everywhere. Once retailer stock is gone, it's gone.

People always seem to confuse out of print and out of stock. Just because a retailer carries a title doesn't mean it's not out of print. It just means they still have some stock left.

With the exception of the US, I'm not aware of any country that is currently producing Shaw titles, so they are pretty much out of print everywhere. Once retailer stock is gone, it's gone.

People always seem to confuse out of print and out of stock. Just because a retailer carries a title doesn't mean it's not out of print. It just means they still have some stock left.

Cheers, that's well worth knowing!:smile:

shaolin drunkard

In your shoes I would pick more less known wu xia/kung-fu titles on r3.They are less likely to get official r1 release.

In your shoes I would pick more less known wu xia/kung-fu titles on r3.They are less likely to get official r1 release.

Shaolin drunkard, what kung fu titles would you recommend especially that feature great , dynamic and acrobatic kung fu kind of like the stuff Sammo, Yuen Biao & Beardy(knockabout, Dreadnaught, Warriors 2, Prodigal son) used to perform in the late 70s and early 80s and from what I've seen so far also like the "venoms" movies?

The Taiwan releases (and Thailand also) seem to be plentiful, if not still in production.

shaolin drunkard
Shaolin drunkard, what kung fu titles would you recommend especially that feature great , dynamic and acrobatic kung fu kind of like the stuff Sammo, Yuen Biao & Beardy(knockabout, Dreadnaught, Warriors 2, Prodigal son) used to perform in the late 70s and early 80s and from what I've seen so far also like the "venoms" movies?

If you have unseen venoms movies prolly fits your bill best...or lo mar stuff like monkey kung fu.Shaolin temple2 has kinda sick aerial stuff too....

Monkey Kung Fu (as mentioned) and 5 Super Fighters are pretty great for the choreography, more like independent studios' flicks of the time than most SB films, but if you haven't you should investigate Lau Kar Leung's output. I think he definitely had an influence on Sammo's work.

The Taiwan releases (and Thailand also) seem to be plentiful, if not still in production.

No more than the "plentiful" IVL HK releases that you can still buy pretty easily. It just depends on the title. There are plenty of Taiwanese and Thai releases that you can't get any more.

If you have unseen venoms movies prolly fits your bill best...or lo mar stuff like monkey kung fu.Shaolin temple2 has kinda sick aerial stuff too....

Monkey Kung Fu (as mentioned) and 5 Super Fighters are pretty great for the choreography, more like independent studios' flicks of the time than most SB films, but if you haven't you should investigate Lau Kar Leung's output. I think he definitely had an influence on Sammo's work.

thanks for the tips guys.:smile:

Archived