7aam Arivu

ShaOW!linDude

ShaOW!linDude

I just found this. It's an Indian film starring some dude named Suriya and Johnny Tri Nguyen as the villain. This could be kind of wild as Suriya might be portraying Bodhidharma. I think it's scheduled for release some time at the end of this month. The poster looks promising but there's no trailer as yet and any actual MA content is uncertain. Still.......keeping my fingers crossed.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/09/new-character-posters-for-tamil-epic-7aam-arivu-with-suriya-johnny-tri-nguyen.php

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Sounds interesting that's for sure, and anything with Johnny Tri Nguyen is worth a look in my opinion.

He's kind of becoming the "rent a bad guy who knows martial arts" for foreign movies, with his roles in 'Tom Yum Goong', 'Power Kids / Force of Five', and lest we forget he did also once square off against Jet Li in 'Cradle 2 the Grave' (how did a movie featuring Jet Li aginst Nguyen, some of the best UFC talent of the time, a dwarf, and Mark Dacascos turn out to be so bad!?) - I've attached a clip below:

g8VAaAr90Qc

Sounds interesting that's for sure, and anything with Johnny Tri Nguyen is worth a look in my opinion.

He's kind of becoming the "rent a bad guy who knows martial arts" for foreign movies, with his roles in 'Tom Yum Goong', 'Power Kids / Force of Five', and lest we forget he did also once square off against Jet Li in 'Cradle 2 the Grave' (how did a movie featuring Jet Li aginst Nguyen, some of the best UFC talent of the time, a dwarf, and Mark Dacascos turn out to be so bad!?) - I've attached a clip below:

g8VAaAr90Qc

well my theory on why the movie was so bad was down to Jet Li getting a shoulder injury or some kind of injury that prevented him from using more than one arm for periods of the film. With Jet not being able to do as much action the film was hastily rewritten to give DMX a larger role, maybe new scenes were filmed?I honestly can't see that DMX would've been given such a big role otherwise.

One Armed Boxer
well my theory on why the movie was so bad was down to Jet Li getting a shoulder injury or some kind of injury that prevented him from using more than one arm for periods of the film. With Jet not being able to do as much action the film was hastily rewritten to give DMX a larger role, maybe new scenes were filmed?I honestly can't see that DMX would've been given such a big role otherwise.

Ah...I remember you bringing up this point in another thread a while back actually, but I don't think you could remember where you'd heard the information about Li's shoulder injury from. Did you ever figure out the source of that information?

Regarding DMX, I'm not so sure, considering it's almost exactly the same team (director, producer, actors etc.) behind 'Exit Wounds', which is essentially the same movie but just swap Jet Li for Steven Seagal, and he has a similar amount of screen time in both...I think 'Cradle 2 the Grave' was probably always supposed to be that way, another case of Hollywood having no idea what a good thing they have on their hands.

Ah...I remember you bringing up this point in another thread a while back actually, but I don't think you could remember where you'd heard the information about Li's shoulder injury from. Did you ever figure out the source of that information?

Regarding DMX, I'm not so sure, considering it's almost exactly the same team (director, producer, actors etc.) behind 'Exit Wounds', which is essentially the same movie but just swap Jet Li for Steven Seagal, and he has a similar amount of screen time in both...I think 'Cradle 2 the Grave' was probably always supposed to be that way, another case of Hollywood having no idea what a good thing they have on their hands.

I'm afraid I didn't figure it out. All I can say is take a look at the movie sometime and see how one of his arms almost looks immobilised and rarely used. I can't remember specific scenes but probably more in the first three quarters of the movie. I'm sure it's not a stylistic choice.

I agree your argument does have some weight behind it about DMX but it was also pretty much the same team as behind Romeo Must Die where there was no doubt that Jet Li was the main man which also featured DMX in a much, much smaller role.

either way Jet Li didn't look himself and if I'm correct about his injury to his shoulder/arm, his performances are going to be limited especially as they're not going to halt the production as that would cost the production millions in additional costs. So hypothetically you're a movie producer and your action star is injured, what do you do? You make lots of changes and try to give one of the co-stars more action sequences. Hell I don't know maybe you're right and they are just stupid and the only difference to the production isJet Li being injured?

ShaOW!linDude

Here's a review of the film on Twitch.

http://twitchfilm.com/reviews/2011/10/7aam-arivu-the-seventh-sense-review.php

The film obviously has its pro's and con's but the review is generally good. What interested me most and what I was heartened to read were these 2 paragraphs. I'm looking forward to seeing this at some point.

On the positive side, Nguyen's got the villain thing down pat after Tom Yum Goong, Power Kids, Cradle 2 the Grave, etc. He gets a few decent action sequences to flex his martial arts muscle, but the majority of his evil performance relies on him using his eyes to communicate his particular kind of power. It works, too, Nguyen's performance as Dong Lee is one of the highlights of the film. Apart from Suriya, Nguyen seems to be the only performer in his sequences with any kind of formal fight training. Anyone who gets in his way just becomes meat for the grinder, but not in a way that is boring, Murugadoss has written in a few neat tricks for Dong Lee, and they keep the film interesting.

One of the film's great strengths is a creative flair during its action sequences. As I mentioned above, the prologue features just such an action sequence, and it is among the finest I've seen in Indian cinema to date. There are a few more, mostly featuring Dong Lee plowing through some random jobbers on his way to Arvind, that also work really well. The action choreography was nominally done by Peter Hein, the go to guy for Indian fights, but several of the sequences look as though they probably had heavy input from Nguyen, and that's a very good thing. The film's most spectacular set piece doesn't involve any fighting at all, but as an action sequence it is breathtaking, even if there are a few less than perfect CG shots thrown in. This sequence comes in late in the film, and it involves zombified/hypnotized Tamilian civilians, flying cars, an overturned 18-wheeler, and a mysteriously strong kung fu lady fighter. Really great stuff.

Good news. They're planning to dub this in English!

http://www.localfiles.com/indian/minneapolis/classifieds/movies/01/2431.shtm

Ezham Arivu is simultaneously being made in Hindi plus

Telugu plus will be released as a trilingual film. there's also

plans to dub the film in English plus release it across the

globe.The story of this film is very strong and is said to have

all standards of a hollywood movie.

One Armed Boxer
Good news. They're planning to dub this in English!

Which part of this sentence is the good news!?:tongue:

Which part of this sentence is the good news!?:tongue:

I believe the planning part is. :tongue:

It still surprises me since it is uncommon for Tamil and Telugu films to have English subtitles at all. Hopefully that changes after this film.

Archived