Return of the One-Armed Swordsman: Best of the Trilogy?

John

People seem to be split on ROAS and NOAS; frankly, I think the third film is just Chang Cheh being self-indulgent past the point of hilarity and back into boring melodrama.

Additionally, I don't see how the action in NOAS is in any way more violent or exciting than ROAS. ROAS might not have had anyone being bisected, but the bodycount is just as high (if not higher) and there's a great deal more damage visible in the fights. I can see what Chang was going for with NOAS; a slow boil that erupts into spectacle, but it just fell flat for me.

I champion ROAS as being the best of the trilogy and one of the more entertaining Chang Cheh flicks. Yay or nay?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I champion ROAS as being the best of the trilogy and one of the more entertaining Chang Cheh flicks. Yay or nay?

Totally.

It's almost a Godfather 2/Mad Max 2/Empire Strikes Back thing where even though the Part 1's are great (in a way, the part 1's ARE the better movies, considering they nailed the foundation down), but there's something about the sequels that are just more entertaining and paced better with a lot more going on.

"Return" reminds me a lot of "Five Element Ninjas"

The "gay factor" of NOAS kills it for me... Chiang and Ti Lung looked longingly into one another's eyes a bit too much for me... Jimmy Wang Yu was at his arrogant best in ROTOAS. That scene where he convinces the two baddies in the dark room, he's not going to accompany them was cool and funny as hell!

Watched it yesterday. Slightly more entertaining action set-pieces (apart from the wirework and most crowd fights) and cooler characters but lags behind a bit with the depth and meticulousness of Cheh's style in the original.

gravedigger666

It's almost a Godfather 2 thing where even though the Part 1's are great (in a way, the part 1's ARE the better movies, considering they nailed the foundation down), but there's something about the sequels that are just more entertaining and paced better with a lot more going on.

I disagree on that, entertainment level was much lower in God2.

Killer Meteor

I find RETURN the poorest of the trilogy. It lacks the emotional involvement, and feels a bit mechanical.

Did anyone else find some scenes in the DD release to have a lot of pixelation? I picked this one up recently and I liked the movie and thought the transfer looked good overall but a few times I saw a lot of artifacting.

The Silver Fox

I also think Return is the best, with OAS a close second. NOAS was a mediocre/lightweight film. Chiang seemed more like Peter Pan than a the sullen and menacing Wang Yu. Ti Lung was far too jovial and their interaction does seem 'questionable' at times.

I find it hard to believe that the same director/actors made Deadly Duo which is superb.

masterofoneinchpunch
The "gay factor" of NOAS kills it for me... Chiang and Ti Lung looked longingly into one another's eyes a bit too much for me... Jimmy Wang Yu was at his arrogant best in ROTOAS. That scene where he convinces the two baddies in the dark room, he's not going to accompany them was cool and funny as hell!

There are plenty of scenes in Return from homosocial (one should also notice how much Stephen Teo uses the term homosocial in his books) to homoerotic. It almost felt like Chang was daring to put as much as he could in without being explicit (making some great screen snapshots).

I'm a pretty big fan of Return though I like the original as well.

ReturnOASHE1.jpg

People seem to be split on ROAS and NOAS; frankly, I think the third film is just Chang Cheh being self-indulgent past the point of hilarity and back into boring melodrama.

Additionally, I don't see how the action in NOAS is in any way more violent or exciting than ROAS. ROAS might not have had anyone being bisected, but the bodycount is just as high (if not higher) and there's a great deal more damage visible in the fights. I can see what Chang was going for with NOAS; a slow boil that erupts into spectacle, but it just fell flat for me.

I agree, Return was definately my favorite. Didn't actually care much for the first one (which I consider more historically important than actually good) and thought the third entry was pretty good, but nothing special (though it was very popular here in the U.S. under it's alternate title, Triple Irons). Return actually feels ahead of it's time as it seems to predate the wilder, crazier Chang Cheh films from the mid 70s on.

RogueWarrior

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Actually, these 'closet homosexual' references to Chang Cheh have always sounded ridiculous to me, personally speaking. If any director should have these accusations levelled at them it really should be Chu Yuan. As far as that comment on NOAS goes about Ti Lung and David Chiang looking longingly into one anothers eyes, paying attention to the very lucid storyline, and seeing they're merely conveying understanding of Chiang's tragic misfortune in the story, along with Chiang's girlfriend clarifies these few scenes. It's very apparent, New One Armed Swordsman is an all out effort on Chang Cheh's part to create the ultimate one armed swordsman film. The choreography of the fight scenes (which out do the previous two films by far), the much more believable storyline (there are some seriously tragic and brutal moments here), as well as the stuntwork and the english dub translations, are all far superior to the previous two films. They don't even come close. Especially the first film. The students taunt Wang Yu and for no reason whatsoever (jealousy), then his teacher's daughter cuts off his arm while she and her brothers are picking on him. Simply put. Stupid. On top of it all, New One Armed Swordsman has one of the best english dubs of all kung fu films, in my measley opinion. I like Return Of The One Armed Swordsman, alot. It's a great film, but the english dub is terrible, and there are some flaws in the storyline whilst Wang Yu is off to fetch his kidnapped wife and culprits which weakuen it for me a bit further. Like any Shaw film New One Armed Swordsman is over the top and at times silly, but as far as Shaw's films go, it's one of my favorite silly films. Everyones entiteled to ther opinion and that's mine, so there... Bloooogghhh..... as my 2 yr old daughter would put it).

gravedigger666

Return is best of series, no question about that.While part 1 enjoys classic status, story moves too slowly, there is not much action and what there is not that good.Part 2 overcomes it in every section.

While I love DC and TL lot, jimmy wang yu pretty much nailed everything comes 1 hand warrior with part 2 ( and made heavy strike with one armed boxer )

All of those movies are good and recommended 100% but if limited cash, get part #2 1st.

gravedigger666
...wait homosexual undertones in a Chang Cheh film?!?

never heard that before:xd:

There is CC movies with 100% heteroissues.:tongue:

Killer Meteor

Chang Cheh was always very hurt by the accusations of homoseuality in his films, but it never seemed to stop him including the undertones - and since homosexuality was still illegal in HK, perhaps there was a certain amount of risk involved.

The only gay character I can think of in Chang's films is Lu Feng's villian in MASKED AVENGERS. A lot of the other films, the heroes are more like big boys horseplaying. Even relationships between men and women, as in SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS, are very chaste, though this may have been to stop Fu Sheng's admirers rioting. ANGRY GUEST does have a rather raunchy sex scene involving Yasuaki Kurata and a cute lady.

Haven't seen RotOAS yet. Got it but skimmed thru it. Will sit down and watch it later. I agree with an earlier poster. I see CC pulled from this when making 5EN.

Saw it. Enjoyable. CC always had and made the best characters. Everyone was in this. Tong Gaai, whose acting was not good. Wu Ma, Ti Lung and very skinny D Chiang, Ku Feng, Yuen Cheung Yan, a hungry looking LKL, his bro, Wang Chung.

JWY was made to look strong and he did. Some serious getting down and killing in this. Funny, for as strong as the villians were when they attacked lesser folk, Jimmy ran through them without a problem. That was weird because it made them look extra weak. Must of them didn't even speak. That was an interesting thing on CC's part.

He really, really pulled from this when making 5EN but he changed the order of some things and constructed it differently. Whereas Flag Of Iron IS The Duel, 5EN is still it's own movie not a RotOAS remake. Observation and agreement, not a complaint.

Archived