Snake Deadly Act (1980) Wowie Zowie!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Snake Deadly Act I had confused with some other movie so never really saw it until recently.

Man was that one great kung fu movie.

And seeing Angela Mao as a villain was pure joy.

Was this her 'ONLY' bad girl role? The only other I can think of would be Bandits, Prostitutes and Silver........where U could say she was a villain in that one, I guess.

Your thoughts on this, IMO, masterpiece?

GD Y-Y:wink:

This was the only one movie of the lead guy. He was really talented and charismatic. It's a shame he never did any other movie.

And yeah, I also think Snake Deadly Act is a masterpiece!!!

Spoiler alert:

Easily in my top 10 or even top 5. The opening fight is one of the best fights of all time and Fung Hak-On is such a bad-ass in this one, every fight with him is just pure old-school awesomeness. I also like the story since there isn't really a good or bad side. There are some dull moments, but it's easily forgettable since the fights are top-notch througout.

One of my faves- The only thing that lets this down slightly is the abrupt and badly executed ending! Thankfully the comedy is at a minimal

I do recall a thread on this one and a fair few actually didn't rate it! Each to their own though..

Snake Deadly Act I had confused with some other movie so never really saw it until recently.

Man was that one great kung fu movie.

And seeing Angela Mao as a villain was pure joy.

Was this her 'ONLY' bad girl role? The only other I can think of would be Bandits, Prostitutes and Silver........where U could say she was a villain in that one, I guess.

Your thoughts on this, IMO, masterpiece?

GD Y-Y:wink:

She also played the villian (as well as the hero as it was a dual role) in King Hu's The Fate of Lee Khan.

I liked Snake Deadly Act. Not one of my favorites, but definately a good one. Haven't seen it in a long time, but I think I'd give it a 7/10 rating. I need to watch it again. It's been too long...

One Armed Boxer
Is this available on a legitimate dvd release???

TibetanWhiteCrane is right, you can get it as a single movie release or as a double deal with `Shaolin Red Master` from Eastern Heroes.

snake-deadly-act-dvd-cover-art.jpg

old-skool-2-snake-deadly-act-shaolin-red-dvd-cover-art.jpg

Snake Deadly Act has to be one of the most under rated and under mentioned kung fu films ever! It is pure class from start to finish, and finally gives Fong Hak On a chance to really shine. Wish I could get this on DVD in the UK.

This movie was released by Eastern Heroes to co-incide with the opening of their shop in London Chinatown in 1995 (the only other country to release it was Saudi Arabia where the English soundtrack came from). There was a screening of the 35mm print, and the movie sold out within minutes of the shop's opening, it was a busy day for me as it was the 1st day I started working for Eastern Heroes in that shop.

As for the star Ng Kun Lung, he also appears in Mysterious Footworks of Kung-Fu as a bit part player, and was indeed a student of Chan Hon Chung (my own si-gung).

This movie was released by Eastern Heroes to co-incide with the opening of their shop in London Chinatown in 1995 (the only other country to release it was Saudi Arabia where the English soundtrack came from). There was a screening of the 35mm print, and the movie sold out within minutes of the shop's opening, it was a busy day for me as it was the 1st day I started working for Eastern Heroes in that shop.

I don't know if you remember but Rick put up his shop in a bet to anyone who could produce a vhs copy of Snake Deadly Act.I'm not too sure but I think the idea was to see if it was worth getting the rights of the movie in case it was not as rare as imagined.

I popped in as usual during that time and advised Rick to withdraw the bet because the movie was available on vhs but with a different title.

The film had the title Snake Fist Drunken Step in theatres in my neck of the woods and the only video label to release it with this title was Al Mansour Video in Dubai.Their video was a full screen pan & scan version, English dub with Arabic subtitles.A far cry from the English Dubbed cinema scope 35mm print though the video quality was acceptable for that time.

About a week later the shop was not up for grabs anymore though Rick still pleaded for vhs copies.Unfortunately I had left my copy in Africa and tried to get hold of it but sadly it had changed many hands.

Yeah I remember that bet. Rick could be an idiot at times, especially for someone who really knew nothing about kung fu cinema...but I think it was Toby who was telling him it wasnt available anywhere. To be honest the year and a half I was there, 70% of the time it was the worst place to work, for awhile after it shut I hated watching kung-fu movies, I didnt get fully back into it until 1999 when I 1st saw Choy Lay Fat with Cliff Lok that movie saved me. Still it had it's + too like meeting Jackie Chan, Kwok Choy, Beardy, Michelle Yeoh etc.

One Armed Boxer
40 minutes ago, teako170 said:

I highly enjoyed this one but wonder why Ng Kwan-Lung didn't do more movies?

This may shed some light on your question - 

• Like 5