Dream Home

Ramji

Hey, anyone seen Dream Home?! Caught this a couple days ago. Oh my gosh, I actually felt a bit sick at times watching this! Great film though if you're in the mood for a slasher with a bit of social commentary thrown in!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

I keep seeing the cover art of this movie, thinking of what kind of flick this is.. So it's a straight up horror slasher like 'Saw', how is the story???

Good film about how depression can turn into extreme anger in life. The violence speaks for itself (one scene where a group gets slaughtered was over the top though) and is perhaps the goriest in a Hong Kong film to date.

I won't say too much about the story as the narrative unfolds out of sequence but it centers around a woman's obsession with a property overlooking victoria bay in hong kong.

As DIP mentions it has a tendency to take things quite far in certain scenes which could take away from the fact that it actually has something to say and is generally a well made little film.

Quite a good review at Lovehkfilm.

Saw it last year, fun movie. Many criticized the pacing / structure, with the film going back and forth between present (intense splatter) and past (much slower paced storytelling), but I thought it worked fine enough and came out as enjoyably contrasty satire and horror comedy. It reminded me of the good old Category III days in the 90's...

Fun story: the film reel caught fire during the scene where (the lovely) Josie Ho is burning old furniture. The scene dealing with fire and flames, the audiences thought it was a special effect (a la grindhouse) until the lights came on and a theater employee explained "the film will continue in a moment". So, if you saw a festival print with a jump cut in that specific scene, I apologize, it's all Helsinki's Int. Film Festival's fault, hahaha :tongue:

Is there a proper home video edition available yet? The HK release is cut, and the UK release has wrong aspect ratio...

Originally posted by Takuma

Is there a proper home video edition available yet? The HK release is cut, and the UK release has wrong aspect ratio...

The HK Edko BD / DVDis cut by, I think, one and a half minutes, but the cut scenes are at least included in the bonus material. Its still a better choice than the badly cropped UK DVD. The German one has the same problem and is missing a full four minutes. Only the French issue has the proper format and appears to be uncut. Then again, the French and the German one do not come with English subs. Unless you’re fluent in French I suggest to go for the Edko.

BTW, hard-hitting film by one of the most interesting directors working outta HK today. The scene where the drughead’s severed hard (and blood-smeared) willie landed on the white sheet would make any brother wince, I suppose…

Originally posted by Ramji

Great film though if you're in the mood for a slasher with a bit of social commentary thrown in!

Actually I saw it the other way around: great social commentary drama with a few slasher moments thrown in…

OpiumKungFuCracker

Wow, what a great slasher of a movie, insanely brutal when it came down to the death scenes, and quite creative... That is one crazy bitch!!!!

IMG_20110904_173326.jpg

And guess who the special effects make up artist was for this very film??? BLACKSHEEP AFFAIR villain actor Andrew Lin!!! Before he became an actor in Hong Kong, he worked on as a special effects make up artist on a Canadian/UK kids series called CYBERKIDZ back in 1996.

Here's 2 links to some of his work BTS on Dream Home on his AliveNotDead blog:

http://www.alivenotdead.com/andrew/Special-Effects-Make-up-for-Dream-Home-Warning-Bloody-photos--profile-987132.html

http://www.alivenotdead.com/andrew/Special-Effects-Make-up-for-Dream-Home-Warning-Bloody-photos-Part-II-profile-996575.html

Actually I saw it the other way around: great social commentary drama with a few slasher moments thrown in…

Hmm, it's due for another watch but whilst I agree that the social commentary aspect of the story isn't exactly hidden away for the discerning viewer to uncover, I also wouldn't say the slasher elements were few and far between either!

Maybe equal parts social commentary and slasher?

And guess who the special effects make up artist was for this very film??? BLACKSHEEP AFFAIR villain actor Andrew Lin!!! Before he became an actor in Hong Kong, he worked on as a special effects make up artist on a Canadian/UK kids series called CYBERKIDZ back in 1996.

Here's 2 links to some of his work BTS on Dream Home on his AliveNotDead blog:

http://www.alivenotdead.com/andrew/Special-Effects-Make-up-for-Dream-Home-Warning-Bloody-photos--profile-987132.html

http://www.alivenotdead.com/andrew/Special-Effects-Make-up-for-Dream-Home-Warning-Bloody-photos-Part-II-profile-996575.html

I wondered if it was the same Andrew Lin from the Blacksheep Affair! Thanks for confirming. Didn't realise he had so many strings to his bow!

Originally Posted by Ramji

Hmm, it's due for another watch but whilst I agree that the social commentary aspect of the story isn't exactly hidden away for the discerning viewer to uncover, I also wouldn't say the slasher elements were few and far between either!

Maybe equal parts social commentary and slasher?

Come on, the slasher elements here didn't make up more than approximately ten percent of the playtime! Since they're very graphic and gut-wrenching by any standards, one obviously perceives them to be way longer than they actually are. To me the cruelty exhibited in the scene with the copulating couple kinda visualized that ol' Wu Tang tune (can't remember the title at the moment) where the guys rhymes, "they found his head on the couch with his dick in his mouth..."

Still, once the story unfolds through Pang Ho Cheung's intricate flashback structure its impossible for me to to regard this film as anything else but an insanely dark social commentary / drama.

Archived