Actors who were/are involved with Triads

DiP

galvatron1976
Best example would have to be Chan Wai-Man who has a great reputation behind him. Anyone know more actors? Can't recall any at the moment.

Frankie Ng 吴志雄 who act as Hung Hing branch leader in Ekin Cheng Young and Dangerous movie.i heard some of other actor in the movies was real time gangster.

Stephen Chow.

Louis Koo Tin Lok.

Not Stephen Chow. However, Triads have been using celebrities as carriers for illegal refugees that are being sent to countries like Canada. I think I read this somewhere and Stephen Chow was mentioned as one of them. But that's as far the connection goes with him and the underworld.

wasn't there talk about Conan Lee was involved with some very shady people that put the producer of Ninja in the Dragons Den in hospital, almost killing him. Leading to Conan getting blacklisted in Hong Kong?

What about the supposed distinction between good / bad Triads, would it be fair to assume most actors had no probelm with working with the 'good' ones. I read that the 'bad' ones were more into threatening to kidnap or assault actresses etc etc.

Pretty sure Stephen Chow was denied Canadian nationality due to Triad ties.

Found some info on Stephen Chow's alleged ties with Triads. Turns out he was signed with a production company (Charles or Jimmy Heung's) that had Triad ties.

http://asianfanatics.net/forum/topic/8115-which-celebs-are-tied-to-the-triads/

Charles and Jimmy Heung's father is the founder of the Sun Yee On Triad I believe. While Jimmy had vehemently denied they were involved in shady dealings, Charles flat out denounced his father's legacy in the Triads.

Anita Mui was at one time assaulted by a triad member for refusing to sing with him. In turn, a fan of Mui's who was also another Triad killed the slap artist a few days later I heard.

Jet Li's manager in the 80's was killed by Triads.

It was rumored that Michael Chan Wai-Man was a former police officer who also had Triad ties, hence the tats on his body. Also Lee Siu-Kei, who was a consultant with Frankie Ng on the YOUNG AND DANGEROUS films.

I heard that Lo Wei had Triad connections and even had them to threaten Jackie Chan after Jackie broke his contract with him.

I heard that Lo Wei had Triad connections and even had them to threaten Jackie Chan after Jackie broke his contract with him.

According to Jackie (and Jeff Yang), Lo Wei did involve the Triads when he left his company to work for Raymond Chow. Lo apparently had attempted to blackmail Chan at first with multiplying the contract fee. When Willie Chan finally found a way to get Chan to Golden Harvest, on the set of YOUNG MASTER, two triads showed up and they were working for Lo.

This is where Jimmy Wang Yu comes into the picture. Apparently, the Triad gang involved were the Sun Yee On (founded by Charles Heung's dad), and somehow, Wang moderated an amicable deal between GH and them. This resulted in Chan owing a "debt" to Wang by appearing in FANTASY MISSION FORCE (1981) and ISLAND ON FIRE (1992).

What about the actor who was the main villain in The Killer, I always forget his name but he was rumoured to have been connected in his younger days, I think.

Guest Markgway
What about the actor who was the main villain in The Killer, I always forget his name but he was rumoured to have been connected in his younger days, I think.

Shing Fui-On.

I think half of Andy Lau's late 80's- early 90's flicks were made for triad money!

I've heard Andy Lau had a gun pointed at his head until he signed on to do some gangster film.

Found some info on Stephen Chow's alleged ties with Triads. Turns out he was signed with a production company (Charles or Jimmy Heung's) that had Triad ties.

Most actors in Hong Kong have worked for one of the Heung's companies at some point.

Jimmy Wang Yu and Lo Wei

One of, Bruce Lee drew a knife in front of witnesses, signed an affidavit proclaiming to leave him alone, went on TVB that very evening, and bad mouthed him... and 10 days later was "found" dead from "cerebral odema" in his own mistress' apt.

Oh-and he punched out Raymond Chow, the man who gave him his break, also, days before being "found" dead.

According to Jackie (and Jeff Yang), Lo Wei did involve the Triads when he left his company to work for Raymond Chow. Lo apparently had attempted to blackmail Chan at first with multiplying the contract fee. When Willie Chan finally found a way to get Chan to Golden Harvest, on the set of YOUNG MASTER, two triads showed up and they were working for Lo.

This is where Jimmy Wang Yu comes into the picture. Apparently, the Triad gang involved were the Sun Yee On (founded by Charles Heung's dad), and somehow, Wang moderated an amicable deal between GH and them. This resulted in Chan owing a "debt" to Wang by appearing in FANTASY MISSION FORCE (1981) and ISLAND ON FIRE (1992).

So that is why Jackie owed him a debt.Thanks for the info.

I know it's been 7 years since this was last updated, but I thought I'd share an interview with Michael Chan talking about "secret societies" and how the world of Triads have changed.

• Like 1

A (1990s) segment from the (ITV) News at Ten, on triads and the HK film industry:

• Like 3

Chen Hung Lieh

Ma Sha, one of my favorite villains (sometimes he played good guys too).

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=4477&display_set=eng

Before his film career he was a triad member and convicted for killing another triad member. All his tattooes are authentic. His life story was written down (only Chinese, as far as I know) and filmed in "The First Error Step" where he played himself. Some fragments of this lost movie can be seen in the documentary "Taiwan Black Movies".

Edited by Chen Hung Lieh
  • Like 2