The Unjust (2010)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Im my opinion any new movie by Ryoo Seung-wan is worth a look....this is the guy that directed 'No Blood No Tears', 'Arahan', 'Crying Fist', and 'City of Violence'...and it could be said that no other Korean director has successfully combined powerful stories, gritty action, and memorable characters as consistently as he has during the last 10 years.

Thankfully his latest 'The Unjust' continues this trend. The movies main theme is actually similar to the meaning of 'Sha Po Lang'....the original title of the Wilson Yip & Donnie Yen's 2005 crime drama before it was ridiculously renamed 'Kill Zone' for a western audience...in that it pits 3 men on a collision course with each other, and when they collide, things are going to go straight to hell very quckly.

The three men are excellently acted by Hwang Jeong-min, Ryu Seung-beom, & Yu Hae-jin. Hwang & Ryu where also pitted against each other in 2006's 'Bloody Ties', also well worth a look. The movie wastes no time jumping into the thick of things, as in the opening minutes we learn that the police have been on the hunt for a man responsible for the killing of several children, and after a standoff with the number one suspect, he is shot and killed.

The problem is the only evidence they have to link him to the killings is a compromised blood sample, too difficult to get DNA from, and the press and powers that be are putting pressure on the police to give them a convicted killer. With the main suspect dead and nothing solid to link him to the murder....a complicated plot unfolds when Hwang Jeong-min's character, police captain Choi Cheol-gi, is given the responsibility of finding someone suitable to hang the murder on.

Ryu Seung-beom comes into the picture as a public prosecutor who smells something is not quite right with Hwang's investigation, then throw Yu Hae-jin into the mix as a once gangster now turned property developer, who Hwang turns to when he needs help giving the unlucky scapegoat an extra 'push' to confess to the crime, all overshadowed by an ongoing investigation into Yu's property dealings that all three characters have a hand in, and you have the ingredients for an extremely tense, fast paced, thrill ride of a movie.

The movie is unique in that it gives us no clear one character to root for, all three men leave themselves open for corruption be it in the quest for money, power, or respect....it's not a case of who's the clean character, but a case of which one has the least dirt on them. The layers of lies each man has to construct to keep himself covered gets more and more complicated as the movie goes on, until things get wound so tightly they snap....and everything comes crashing down in a spiral of chaos and people shouting at each other in angry Korean...something I never get tired of listening too!

All in all 'The Unjust' is one of the many movies that made 2010 such an excellent year for Korean cinema, and is right up there with 'I Saw the Devil', 'The Man From Nowhere', & 'No Mercy' (also starring Seung-beom Ryu), highly recommended!

vfpy0rC67mI

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the worst movies I've seen in ages. My friend walked out after 20 minutes, I miraculously managed to struggle till the end... the rock bottom for Ryoo Seung-wan whose previous films include the over-rated boxing drama Crying Fist, the poor martial arts comedy Arahan, and the awful MTV-product City of Violence.

The Unjust continues in similar vein with added shouting - in about every scene - to the point of becoming laughable. Only towards the end it comes close to achieving something – something that is later effectively undone with by moralizing. Some strong acting bits and interesting premise are all lost in the midst of the (unintentionally) comical mayhem.

Sorry Boxer, nothing personal aimed at you (my comments were written already before I saw this thread), I just really hated this damn film.

• Administrator

That's quite a difference of opinion guys! :smile: The good news is that the Korean section of this forum got two posts in one day!!! :tongue:

This is interesting to me, as I normally feel in agreement with each of these guys when I read their reviews. Though Takuma, you do seem... how shall I put it? Less tolerant/impressed (?) with Korean films than I am. I loved CRYING FIST. I did think that ARAHAN was okay and had it's moments, but was surprised by all the praise everyone else seemed to bestow on it. With CITY OF VIOLENCE... well, I can see why you would criticize it as you did. The first time I watched it I thought it was good, but a bit too mutch glitz and not enough variety in the choreography. But on the second (and all subsequent) viewing I truly fell for this film's charms and it became a favorite.

Anyway, my curiousity is piqued, and I will definitely check this film out and then throw in my two cents. :wink:

Just curious- what did you two gents think of BLADE OF BLOOD? I'll be watching that soon.

This is why I love this forum everyone has a different opinion on movies! I'l be looking forward to picking this movie up. And Takuma never apologize for what you post about a review. I'm Sure OAB will disagree with you on many a movies as well.

One Armed Boxer
Sorry Boxer, nothing personal aimed at you (my comments were written already before I saw this thread), I just really hated this damn film.

Ha ha...as the famous line goes - being an Asian movie fan means never having to say you're sorry!:tongue: Korean movies definitely always split people down the middle on this forum, I remember you also mentioned you didn't enjoy 'The Good. The Bad. The Weird' & 'The Man from Nowhere', whereas I thought both of them where pretty good movies, particularly Kim Jee-woon's western.....now if he'd only put out just 1 version!

The Unjust continues in similar vein with added shouting - in about every scene - to the point of becoming laughable.

'The Unjust' definitely falls into that uniquely Korean category of 'men yelling at each other' movies, which could almost be a genre in itself over there, but personally I loved every minute of it....and I think there was definitely a hint of self awareness amongst the proceedings.

The good news is that the Korean section of this forum got two posts in one day!!!

Ha ha....now four, surely some kind of record!?:xd:

Just curious- what did you two gents think of BLADE OF BLOOD? I'll be watching that soon.

I haven't checked it out myself, I prefer the more modern setting Korean movies that the period ones, but if you give it the thumbs up I'll be sure to check it out. My next couple of Korean purchases will probably be 'The Yellow Sea' and 'Poongsan'.

And Takuma never apologize for what you post about a review. I'm Sure OAB will disagree with you on many a movies as well.

Cough cough....'Kunoichi'....cough cough.:wink:

• Administrator
Ha ha...as the famous line goes - being an Asian movie fan means never having to say you're sorry!:tongue: Korean movies definitely always split people down the middle on this forum, I remember you also mentioned you didn't enjoy 'The Good. The Bad. The Weird' & 'The Man from Nowhere', whereas I thought both of them where pretty good movies, particularly Kim Jee-woon's western.

Wow.I guess I forgot Takuma didn't like those either! I will ammend my earlier statement to "I tend to agree with Takuma's reviews with the exception of Korean cinema. :smile:

Kim Jee-woon's western.....now if he'd only put out just 1 version!

Amen! :tongue:

'Ha ha....now four, surely some kind of record!?:xd:

After both a hurricane and an earthquake in the same week in Pennsylvania... Well, I figured this and anything else was now possible. :wink:

I haven't checked it out myself, I prefer the more modern setting Korean movies that the period ones, but if you give it the thumbs up I'll be sure to check it out. My next couple of Korean purchases will probably be 'The Yellow Sea' and 'Poongsan'.

I'll let you know

I've got YELLOW SEA. Who knows where it'll end up in the order of things I watch though.

Cough cough....'Kunoichi'....cough cough.:wink:

:xd:

Its great to see the Korean section get some action on it! I also posted my review of BLADE OF BLOOD, and I want to see Yellow Sea as well.

the Korean section of this forum got two posts in one day!!! :tongue:

I only watch two Korean films a year :tongue:

(except this year I've seen four)

That one wasn't one of the four :tongue:

And yes, I do admit Korean cinema is not my thing. Love Oldboy to death, also a big fan of many Kim Ki-duk films... and My Sassy Girl... but otherwise the mix of melodrama (aarrrggghh) and shouting (aarrrggghh) is just not my thing.

Then again, JP mainstream mostly sucks, too, while below the surface it's filled with gems, so I have no idea what KR cinema would have to offer if I looked a bit deeper. But still, I doubt, as the Korean mentality is just not for my liking.

(I do dig cute Korean chicks, though :tongue: )

Wow.I guess I forgot Takuma didn't like those either

Oh, I did like The Man from Nowhere. It was no masterpiece or highlight of the year in my books, but it was solid enough... 3/5, which is above average on my hardass scale.

The Good the Bad The Weird I didn't care much for, though. I Saw the Devil was rather good, though.

And Takuma never apologize for what you post about a review.

Ah, good to hear. From now on I will mercilessly insult everyone with my elitist opinions :xd:

Its great to see the Korean section get some action on it! I also posted my review of BLADE OF BLOOD, and I want to see Yellow Sea as well.

Daisho, I'm telling you Yellow Sea is such a sleeper. Anyone a fan of Chaser or ANYTHING Korea has put out in the last year needs to see this.

Unjust and Troubleshooter were good films. But Yellow Sea is it.

You have my word.

Just finished watching this amazing film but there is one thing I'm not sure of.

Was Prosecuter Joo taking bribes from the head of TK or were they just friends?

Interesting reviews. I just saw this and I definitely agree with OAB. I really enjoyed this film. I will agree the scenes of yelling was a bit much. I actually found myself laughing at Ryoo Seung-bum\s outbursts. Still I like him as an actor.

I find myself to be a big Korean film fan. And I did like The Good The Bad & The weird very much. I liked Arahan but not as much as some. Still have not seen The Yellow Sea. its at the top of my wish lists.

Archived