White Vengeance (2011)

AlbertV

Daniel Lee recently wrapped another historical epic film, WHITE VENGEANCE. The film's basis is the Banquet of Hongnam, a major event in the Chu-Han Contention, a major battle between the Han and Chu kingdoms in post Qin Dynasty.

The film stars Leon Lai, Jordan Chan, Anthony Wong, Andy On, Crystal Liu, and Zhang Hanfei.

Photos:

Leon Lai

leon+lai+white+vengeance.jpg

Jordan Chan

whiteveng2+-+jordan+chan.jpg

Andy On

whiteveng+1+-+andy+on.jpg

Feng Shaofeng

whiteveng3+-+anthony+wong.jpg

Anthony Wong

whiteveng4+-+feng+shaofeng.jpg

Crystal Liu

whiteveng5+-+liu+yifei.jpg

Zhang Hanyu

whiteveng6a.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the news AlbertV... good to see Leon Lai back in action. I'm sure he was always around, but to me, seems like he's not doing many films lately.

Is anyone else getting fed up with these period war drama's?

I have been sick of these since the first one (whenever that was).

But still props to AlbertV for keeping us in check. =D

Well, I read reviews calling this the best of Daniel Lee’s three period films… but after seeing it the other day at a late showing in an almost empty TST theatre I gotta say I disagree. OK, 14 BLADES was also flawed and the final CG showdown between Donnie Yen and Kate Tsui was outrageously ridiculous, but as a whole the film was still better than WHITE VENGEANCE.

Yes, those big budget battle scenes were suitably fierce and impressively staged with lots of aerial tracking shots, blood-soaked pandemonium in the desert dust (funnily without any horse falls!) and gripping one-on-one sword combat. And the cast was definitely well chosen with Lai Ming as the brooding, laconic Liu Bang, Anthony Wong as Xiang Yu’s blind sage / adviser / father-ersatz and the always wonderful Zhang Hanyu acting as Liu Bang’s closest aide. Not to forget Andy On as the general changing sides, who was given some inventively choreographed fight scenes.

The film starts quite promising but midway, when we reach the “Hongmen banquet” scene it goes downhill rapidly. Main problem is that the whole thing is not well structured and feels like a somewhat randomly strung together selection of incidents of the so-called Chu-Han Contention (the chain of events that preceded Liu Bang’s rise to become the first Han emperor) that never succeeds in making you feel for the characters and their motives.

And it gets laughably pathetic in the end with Xiang Yu (Feng Xiaofeng) and his love interest Yuji (Liu Yifei) stabbing each other to death after the final battle (actually the battle of Gaixia) was lost. But the feelings those lovers supposedly had for each other were never really exposed in the approximately 120 minutes the film lasted to this point. So when the couple finally committed their teary-eyed, swollen strings-supported suicide to be together in “the next life”, I just cracked up so hard that the people behind me started complaining!

The whole exercise probably made some big-time investors happy (the film topped the Chinese box office in the week it was released) but this mix of poorly developed drama, ludicrously twisted history and competently staged MA action simply doesn’t make a very compelling film.

• Like 1

Is anyone else getting fed up with these period war drama's?

Never have been tired of them, never will be.

(Overall, I'd welcome less romance and fewer redundant females in these films, though.)

Watched this yesterday. Actually really enjoyed it. I was never that keen on 14 Blades so for me it's the best of the three Daniel Lee period films. I personally found the hongmen banquet scene quite exciting! Maybe it's got something to do with me trying to learn to play Wei Qi at the moment though...

It does get a little OTT towards the end for the reasons Sheng highlighted but for the majority of the film I was quite engrossed and there is an awesome revelation towards the end. The character of Zhang Lian was played excellently and loved his battle of wits with Fan Zeng, the definite strong point of the film. Recommended.

Looking forward to Lu Chan's take on the story, The Last Supper. Judging by his previous works I'm sure he can deliver something more special.

Watched this yesterday. Actually really enjoyed it. I was never that keen on 14 Blades so for me it's the best of the three Daniel Lee period films. I personally found the hongmen banquet scene quite exciting! Maybe it's got something to do with me trying to learn to play Wei Qi at the moment though...

It does get a little OTT towards the end for the reasons Sheng highlighted but for the majority of the film I was quite engrossed and there is an awesome revelation towards the end. The character of Zhang Lian was played excellently and loved his battle of wits with Fan Zeng, the definite strong point of the film. Recommended.

Looking forward to Lu Chan's take on the story, The Last Supper. Judging by his previous works I'm sure he can deliver something more special.

I liked it too. The banquet scene was probably the most exciting part of the movie, the way everything built up toward it. And the big twist/revelation almost totally redeemed the second half.

Iron_Leopard

I watched "White Vengeance " last night. I was really into this movie up to the famous historical Banquet scene. I was so confused on what was going on I mentally checked out. 

Loved the costumes and set design. I don't want to say the acting was bad but every single character in this movie only had one facial expression which was their serious face. The two leads have Donnie Yen a run for his money on their "serious face". My girl Liu Yifei actually showed more emotion than anyone else and she usually gets criticized for her...lack of emotion.

Not something I'd ever need to watch again but I'm glad I watched it once at least.

Damn. Should I have posted this in a White Vengeance thread? If there even is one.

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Damn. Should I have posted this in a White Vengeance thread? If there even is one.

Fixed.:tongueout

• Like 1