Lau Kar Leung Gets Angry!!

David Rees

Yeah in my opinion 'New Kids in Town' is a great modern day actioner, lots of one versus many as well as one on one fights....the cast is almost completely made up of great screen fighers - Chin Siu Ho, Cheung Kwok Leung, Moon Lee, Lau Kar Leung, Eddie Maher, & even Sophie Crawford makes an appearance.

I actually picked the DVD up in the UK about 10 years ago for something ridiculous like £1.99....it was part of a double-bill with 'Escape from Brothel', and the movie itself was re-named 'New KILLERS in Town'...if you can still get hold of it definitely pick it up, it's a nice 2 for 1, I posted a picture of the DVD cover below -

u05946wtzkq.jpg

One Armed Boxer, thanks for the recommendation I watched "New Killers In Town" last night and it was a fantastic modern martial arts action film.:xd:I totally loved it and I'm surprised I haven't read more about it from other forum members. admittedly I have quite a few Moon Lee films yet to see but this has to be one of her best performances in my opinion.:bigsmile:

One Armed Boxer
One Armed Boxer, thanks for the recommendation I watched "New Killers In Town" last night and it was a fantastic modern martial arts action film.I totally loved it and I'm surprised I haven't read more about it from other forum members. admittedly I have quite a few Moon Lee films yet to see but this has to be one of her best performances in my opinion.

Hey blue_skies, glad to hear you enjoyed it! Yeah it`s a shame the modern wave action movies don`t really get much attention on the site, but this one is definitely up there! Be sure to check out `Escape from Brothel` as well, although not quite in the same league as `New Killers in Town`, it still has Billy Chow in it fighting a naked girl, so it warrants a look based on that alone.

If you like Moon Lee you should definitely check out `Iron Angels`, her fight against Yukari Oshima at the end is pretty brutal stuff!

Hey blue_skies, glad to hear you enjoyed it! Yeah it`s a shame the modern wave action movies don`t really get much attention on the site, but this one is definitely up there! Be sure to check out `Escape from Brothel` as well, although not quite in the same league as `New Killers in Town`, it still has Billy Chow in it fighting a naked girl, so it warrants a look based on that alone.

If you like Moon Lee you should definitely check out `Iron Angels`, her fight against Yukari Oshima at the end is pretty brutal stuff!

I"ron Angels" has been high on my list of want to see for a long time but I'm hoping to see it soon.:bigsmile:

If I'm honest I probably wouldn't have checked "Escape From The Brothel"making it a low priority watch but now I'll be sure to watch it sometime in the near future.:tongue:

I figured, considering the name of this thread, it would also be fitting to post Lau Kar Leung's fight against Eddie Maher during the finale of 'New Kids in Town'....another great example of Pops unleashing his fury in a more contemporary setting.

The fight is mixed in with some gunplay...sorry I couldn't find an isolated clip of it...and it was also impossible to find a subtitled version. Not that it matters, because they actually yell a lot of stuff at each other in English, but I remember first watching this on DVD, & after seeing Lau Kar Leung as the mild mannered but strong master type in so many Shaw movies...I was shocked to see one of the things he's yelling at Maher in Cantonese is "Half-breed!" Possibly the strongest language he's ever used!?

nETQNxxbCG8

I don't know if anyone is looking for a copy of "New kids in town" a.k.a. "new killers in town" (which is on the DVD Battling Babes Vol. 2 Double Bill) but it's just turned up on Amazon UK for an extremely reasonable £4.99 plus postage. Be quick though it's the first copy I've noticed showing up in well over a month.:bigsmile:

After the sad passing of Lau Kar Leung I thought I would continue my LKL season of movies tonight with "A Bloody Fight". I've been wanting to watch this movie for a long time and it didn't disappoint. Some good action, some good drama, some very good performances and most importantly LKL delivering some serious hate with a baseball bat:xd:

It's just a shame that there wasn't more of Pops.

Iron Angels as a whole didn't really do it for me OAB but that end fight with Moon Lee was amazing! It's a pity there wasn't more martial arts action like that scattered through the film.

OpiumKungFuCracker
What is a pops?

I've been wanting to ask this too but afraid the community might call me a poser and a fake fan for not knowing something this simple...:tongue:

I've been wanting to ask this too but afraid the community might call me a poser and a fake fan for not knowing something this simple...:tongue:

I don't think this is that kind of community. If you don't know something someone is bound to fill you in. Well that has been my experience.:smile:

Cognoscente
On 8/30/2011 at 3:25 PM, David Rees said:

Shame Pops didn't do more modern day stuff.

True. Wong Jing's Money Maker would have been an ideal project for him - a contemporary movie with Mark Houghton, Lam Ching-Ying and some old school Kung Fu thrown in for good measure.

• Like 1