Lau Kar Leung Gets Angry!!

David Rees

Hers a clip from A Bloody Fight (with spoiler).

Lau Kar Leung gets mad with a baseball bat!...never seen this film will have to check it out. Shame Pops didnt do more modern day stuff.

D7MD7Y-DOrs

One Armed Boxer

Awesome action sequence from the great master....and one of only 2 movies I can think of where you get to see him really unleashed and angry, the other being 'New Kids in Town'....but in regards to the actual movie itself, apart from a few very brief scuffles and despite the talent involved, this is the only real martial arts sequence in it.

Mark Pollard

I love it. This is a textbook example of Hong Kong film fighting at its finest. It's intense, high-impact, emotionally charged, fast, precisely choreographed, dynamic, cleanly edited, and devoid of gimmicks.

One Armed Boxer
What is a pops?

Pops is the long-standing nickname that fans gave to Lau Kar Leung.

The word 'pops' itself is American slang for father....so hence it was given to Lau Kar Leung as many people consider him to be one of the fathers of the martial arts genre.

OAB, that explanation will not register. Yo Bkarza... he's that shapes dude who came into his own after the basher era, discovering the likes of Beardy & the Mayor, worked with his adopted bro Baldy a lot; choreod hung man Mr Pattern a little bit before the latter went indie. Did some work with Big Nose & Foot Doctor, although often as lesser players. Same time as other stables were using the likes of Cutie Pie, Ratface, Pumpkin Man, etc... & the indies had Moose Face & Crow Man & all them guys...

OAB, that explanation will not register. Yo Bkarza... he's that shapes dude who came into his own after the basher era, discovering the likes of Beardy & the Mayor, worked with his adopted bro Baldy a lot; choreod hung man Mr Pattern a little bit before the latter went indie. Did some work with Big Nose & Foot Doctor, although often as lesser players. Same time as other stables were using the likes of Cutie Pie, Ratface, Pumpkin Man, etc... & the indies had Moose Face & Crow Man & all them guys...

I am sorry?..i didnt understand a word of that...lol...:tongue:

Pops is the long-standing nickname that fans gave to Lau Kar Leung.

The word 'pops' itself is American slang for father....so hence it was given to Lau Kar Leung as many people consider him to be one of the fathers of the martial arts genre.

Really? I guess that is one explanation. Bey Logan said it was more because he was the oldest and looked the oldest, but was still in amazing physical condition.

ok, i'll be the one that inquires... :tongue:

who are these others referring to?

Beardy - Leung Kar-Yan

Baldy - Gordon Liu

Foot Doctor - Wilson Tong

Moose Face - Tsai Hung?

Mayor - ?

Mr Pattern - ?

Big Nose - ?

Cutie Pie - ?

Ratface - ?

Pumpkin Man - ?

Crow Man - ?

I'm intrigued.

• Administrator
ok, i'll be the one that inquires... :tongue:

who are these others referring to?

Beardy - Leung Kar-Yan

Baldy - Gordon Liu

Foot Doctor - Wilson Tong

Moose Face - Tsai Hung?

Mayor - ?

Mr Pattern - ?

Big Nose - ?

Cutie Pie - ?

Ratface - ?

Pumpkin Man - ?

Crow Man - ?

I'm intrigued.

I agree with the ones that you guessed Gaijin84. And I will further guess...

Big Nose - This has got to be Jackie Chan, right?

Cutie Pie - I believe this is the nickname for Chiang Sheng.

Pumpkin Man - Sammo?

All Gaijins guesses correct - good call on Tsui Hung - was this because you've possibly heard it before?... or you just reckon he looks like a moose? I mean, I guess whoever came up with it did, but still...

Cutie Pie is Chiang Sheng - guess whoever came up with that was being ironic bout the teeth, etc...

Big Nose isn't Jackie... Pumpkin Man not Sammo.

I'll leave them out there for others for the mo...

Don't know where they all came from - probably similar sources to Pops, been floating around for some time.

All Gaijins guesses correct - good call on Tsui Hung - was this because you've possibly heard it before?... or you just reckon he looks like a moose? I mean, I guess whoever came up with it did, but still...

I think I heard that a long time ago, but he's also the first person I thought of when I heard "Moose Face."

My guesses...

Crowman ... Goo Chang

Big Nose .... Yu Tai Ping

Ratface .... Wong Wing Sang

These are great guesses btw

I could also see Fung Hak-On as Crowman but that might be a stretch considering everyone knows who Fung Hak-On is, doesn't need a nickname?

Big Nose - Bruce Tong?

Ratface - Wong Ching?

Pumpkin Man - Wai Wang?

One Armed Boxer

I figured, considering the name of this thread, it would also be fitting to post Lau Kar Leung's fight against Eddie Maher during the finale of 'New Kids in Town'....another great example of Pops unleashing his fury in a more contemporary setting.

The fight is mixed in with some gunplay...sorry I couldn't find an isolated clip of it...and it was also impossible to find a subtitled version. Not that it matters, because they actually yell a lot of stuff at each other in English, but I remember first watching this on DVD, & after seeing Lau Kar Leung as the mild mannered but strong master type in so many Shaw movies...I was shocked to see one of the things he's yelling at Maher in Cantonese is "Half-breed!" Possibly the strongest language he's ever used!?

nETQNxxbCG8

I figured, considering the name of this thread, it would also be fitting to post Lau Kar Leung's fight against Eddie Maher during the finale of 'New Kids in Town'....another great example of Pops unleashing his fury in a more contemporary setting.

The fight is mixed in with some gunplay...sorry I couldn't find an isolated clip of it...and it was also impossible to find a subtitled version. Not that it matters, because they actually yell a lot of stuff at each other in English, but I remember first watching this on DVD, & after seeing Lau Kar Leung as the mild mannered but strong master type in so many Shaw movies...I was shocked to see one of the things he's yelling at Maher in Cantonese is "Half-breed!" Possibly the strongest language he's ever used!?

nETQNxxbCG8

Thanks for posting the video OAB. :xd: how is the movie as a whole? Lots of action and just like that? And how is the DVD?

One Armed Boxer
Thanks for posting the video OAB. how is the movie as a whole? Lots of action and just like that? And how is the DVD?

Yeah in my opinion 'New Kids in Town' is a great modern day actioner, lots of one versus many as well as one on one fights....the cast is almost completely made up of great screen fighers - Chin Siu Ho, Cheung Kwok Leung, Moon Lee, Lau Kar Leung, Eddie Maher, & even Sophie Crawford makes an appearance.

I actually picked the DVD up in the UK about 10 years ago for something ridiculous like £1.99....it was part of a double-bill with 'Escape from Brothel', and the movie itself was re-named 'New KILLERS in Town'...if you can still get hold of it definitely pick it up, it's a nice 2 for 1, I posted a picture of the DVD cover below -

u05946wtzkq.jpg