Which is your favorite - 'In the Line of Duty 4' or 'Tiger Cage 2'?

One Armed Boxer

Which is your favorite?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite?

• In the Line of Duty 4
    • Tiger Cage 2

One Armed Boxer

A few comments in my recent thread about the 'Tiger Cage' movies, which made the comparison between 'In the Line of Duty 4' and 'Tiger Cage 2', made me think the topic is probably worthy of a thread of it's own.

Both movies where made within a year of each other, 1989 & 1990 respectively, both are modern day actioners directed by Yuen Woo Ping, both have the same fight choreographers, and both share many of the same cast members - Donnie Yen, Michael Woods, John Salvitti, & Cynthia Khan.

My question is, which is your favorite & why? For me it's a tough one, both share some great stunts and fight choreography. I think 'In the Line of Duty 4' might just beat it by a fraction....there is more variety in the action, both in the situations (ambulance fight, elevator shaft fight, motorcycle fight etc.) and also the people performing it (Yen, Khan, Sunny Yuen)...as well as the fights in general being longer than of those in 'Tiger Cage 2'.

IMVdJGokmjk

dkrBj3Nj-4c

ShaOW!linDude

I think I favor Yen's fight with Michael Woods in TC 2 to ITLOD 4 which is good also, don't get me wrong. The TC 2 fight just seems harder-hitting to me.

I would say tie as far as fighting goes but as a whole, I'd say TC2. ITLOD4 has great fights but the overall direction behind the movie is somewhat dull in comparison.

One Armed Boxer
I think I favor Yen's fight with Michael Woods in TC 2 to ITLOD 4 which is good also, don't get me wrong. The TC 2 fight just seems harder-hitting to me.

Interesting....I actually prefer Yen's fights with both Woods & John Salvitti from 'In the Line of Duty 4'. For me the ITLOD4 fight with Woods was as hard hitting as it comes, with most of the first minute consisting of Woods putting the beat down on Yen, I also love the moment when Woods slings Yen over the railing (2:41 in the clip)...I've posted both the fights with Woods & Salvitti for comparison.

ITLOD4 has great fights but the overall direction behind the movie is somewhat dull in comparison.

A fair point, but I think ITLOD4 still has some good direction, again from the Woods fight, I love the shot at 1:15 where the camera is between 2 air conditioner units while a plane comes into land in the background....some good cinematography.

rMuwUtPPwT8

F8BFi6oSt0k

uOki4xXBvUU

fEe52nPeevk

Sadly, I've never seen either. Only the original Tiger Cage. That dude falling, bouncing off the train was nuts, I take it that was Yuen Cheung Yan?

I recently watched 'Tiger Cage', but for the life of me can't remember anybody falling and bouncing off a train, are you sure you're not mixing it up with another movie?

TibetanWhiteCrane

ITLOD 4 by ten thousand miles! Aside from the end fight, TC 2 is pretty much a waste of time.

ITLOD 4 has one kickass fight and action scene after another. In both quality and quantity, ITLOD 4 comes out ahead.

Just watched them back to back. Tiger Cage 2 and then ITLOD4. Been meaning to watch TC2 again for a while now as I've only seen it once. I forgot how much comedy there was in it! In comparison to ITLOD4 it's much more light hearted in tone but both share a similar relentless pace in action with the difference being that the pace of INTOD4 is relentless throughout whereas TC2 only in parts. Awesome last 20 minutes though.

I did invest more in the characters of INLOD4 as it takes itself a bit more seriously and I feel the characters are more drawn out and you build some emotional investment in the character of Luk. I also think, overall, it's a better made film with more thought to plot and action choreography than TC2 but I do love both.

So INLOD4 comes out on top but TC2 is a strong runner up. Not bad considering ITLOD4 is probably one of the best modern day HK action films there is from that period.

Tiger Cage 2 feels to me like it's a film that doesn't know exactly what it wants to be. In my opinion it didn't blend its comic and light-hearted moments with it sometimes trying to be more bloody and brutal. The balance just didn't sit quite right with me. I wasn't overly keen with the first half-hour or so which had large amounts of humour, that sometimes made me laugh but sometimes was just too silly and didn't work.

The action was good but not outstanding, mostly, and while I did enjoy the movie a lot I really didn't feel buzzed after watching it or during. For the first time in quite a long time I was reminded why I liked Donnie Yen, with some really classy kicking and quick punching and some lovely moves.:xd: While it's been a long time since I saw "In The Line Of Duty 4" I felt that was a much better action vehicle for Donnie Yen with him really outshining and stealing the movie from Cynthia Khan. I also didn't like how easily he was knocked out on many occasions, which again kind of goes towards the tone of the film being mixed.

I enjoyed Cynthia Khan's fairly small role that really didn't fit into the story particularly well and would have liked to have seen more of her and less of Rosamund Kwan. Rosamund is a delightful beauty but when it came to the action scenes most of her parts just feel right, felt forced and Cynthia could have had a chance to shine in a similar role but obviously not playing the damsel in distress, like Rosamund.

After Michael Woods' previous bouts with Donnie Yen I kind of expected more and while both showed some fantastic moves, a lot felt disjointed through the editing as they showed both performing some terrific skills but I just would have liked a few more longer sequences as they went toe to toe. As I mentioned earlier I really like some of Donnie Yen's moves really reminding me how good he can be and how much I'd like to see more films with him doing more fight sequences in his films. While I wouldn't particularly say this film is as good a film as he's made in recent years it has a much higher entertainment value, which in my humble opinion has been sadly lacking for quite some time. I would certainly forsake some of the high production values, acting and "drama" for some down and dirty action movie similar to his 80s work like this and "In The Line Of Duty 4".

Overall there is some very good fights and very good stunt work but I really thought the changing tone of the film between light-hearted and more brutal action could have been improved with a more consistent serious tone. While I liked this and remembering it's a long time since I watched Tiger Cage and "In The Line Of Duty 4" the way I remember the previous fights they had a higher intensity particularly in "In The Line Of Duty 4". I could be wrong of course and until I re watch I would have to lean towards "In The Line Of Duty 4".

Even though I liked TC1 & 2, ITLOD4 is a much better movie overall and the end fight scene was just awesome. The pacing is much much better and action scenes are very thoughtout. One of my favorite donnie yen movies.

Sure both movies have their stand out but TC1&2, didn't feel like a complete movie or maybe I just need to rewatch.

Love both of them; my two favorite Donnie Yen starring films. The ending of TC 2 is the best scene from either but overall, I'll give the edge to ITLOD 4. Better overall story, consistently action packed and it co stars Cynthia Khan (always a plus).

If it's just a question of action content then ITLOD4 is always going to be the winner...but as a movie, for me it's got to be Tiger Cage 2-better story and in my mind choreography too Donnie really comes into his own with the sword battle with John Salvitti and the fight with Michael Woods is excellent. I choose this one because I met Donnie Yen just after he completed it in October1990 and he was very proud of the film.

As for the repiles saying the film has an uneven tone, most H.K modern day movies are the same going from slapstick comedy to serious brutality...sometimes in the same scene...look at Pedicab Driver, or Pantyhose Hero they exhibit the same tone changes abd are both equally exceptional...Police Story 1 & 2 also.

I loved "Tiger Cage 2". Still haven't seen "In the Line of Duty 4" and after reading this thread I really want to see it now.

Tiger Cage 2 has better action but overall, I'd say ITLOD4 because the story has alot of thinks going on beyond your average wall-to-wall action movie.

EDIT: I see that another thread was merged with this one and saw an old comment of mine... Changed opinion over the past years.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

Iron_Leopard
3 hours ago, DiP said:

Tiger Cage 2 has better action but overall, I'd say ITLOD4 because the story is alot of thinks going on beyond your average wall-to-wall action movie.

It also helps that Cynthia has a much bigger role with great fight scenes. However I'm voting for Tiger Cage II. Action is just as good but also a lot of great comedic moments. Plus it has my favorite Kwan performance.

Cant go wrong either way.

• Like 2

Iron_Leopard

I just realized Tiger Cage 2 was probably heavily inspired by Tango and Cash. The opening theme song is almost identical. It's also a Action/Comedy. And focuses on two main characters who are framed or mistaken for a murder. Donnies ego at the time probably wouldn't allow a buddy team up with another male star so they went with an actress instead.

I get the feeling this is also why he pulled out of "Tai Chi Master". 

• Like 3

Donnie was not an A-list actor/performer at the time he did both movies, and was neither a box-office draw so he didn't call any shots.

The reason he declined Tai Chi Master (the role went to Chin Siu-Ho) was because he didn't want to be typecasted as a villain after his successful turn in Once Upon a Time in China 2.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

Looks like a Cynthia Khan fight scene -- the infamous ambulance sequence from ITLOD4 -- has recently gone viral on social media:

https://news.yahoo.com/exhilarating-action-scene-1989-donnie-231948566.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

That would be awesome if it were enough to get her a good role in a movie now. She's in her early/mid-50s, but is probably still beautiful and in good shape.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 2:06 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

I just realized Tiger Cage 2 was probably heavily inspired by Tango and Cash. The opening theme song is almost identical. It's also a Action/Comedy. And focuses on two main characters who are framed or mistaken for a murder. Donnie's ego at the time probably wouldn't allow a buddy team up with another male star so they went with an actress instead.

I'm reminded of a Cynthia Rothrock quote in the October 1991 issue of Martial Arts Illustrated: “Sly asked me if I could get Jackie to arrange the fights and stunts for Tango & Cash, and I had to explain that Chan was such a huge star in the Far East, he would never work for anyone in the West again.”

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Looks like a Cynthia Khan fight scene -- the infamous ambulance sequence from ITLOD4 -- has recently gone viral on social media:

https://news.yahoo.com/exhilarating-action-scene-1989-donnie-231948566.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

That would be awesome if it were enough to get her a good role in a movie now. She's in her early/mid-50s, but is probably still beautiful and in good shape.

I saw her through Mike Leeder on FB a good while ago. Let's just say that I'm a sucker for natural beauty, and she's far from looking natural these days.

One Armed Boxer

It's already 10 years ago, but here's a shot of her from the last time she appeared onscreen, which was opposite Fan Siu Wong in 2013's 'Pay Back' - 

Cynthia-Khan-18.jpg.e90cfa06a5639d7170dd858271b0823d.jpg

• Like 2

Cynthia Khan is credited on TMDB (https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/777278) and Letterboxd (https://letterboxd.com/film/new-lady-enforcers/details/) as appearing in something called New Lady Enforcers released in 2021. With an alternative title listed as Yes Madam. No I'm not saying that it looks as good as a proper Yes, Madam!/In the Line of Duty movie. I would not even expect it to be similar.

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Like 2