Chow Yun Fat's lesser well known films?

Phoenix

Could I get recommendations for the better of his less well known films? I've seen all the popular ones and have quite a few of his less popular ones, but it's hard to know where to start when it comes to actually watching them.

I know he has less screen time in a lot of films, and some of them are basically just sub par comedy films, but I still want to see them all eventually.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaolin drunkard

Spirit(ual?) love I remember when watched eternity ago was really enjoyable.Was surprise then if fact as got used to see Chow with gun...Uhm,I might need to pick it...

Son Of A Gun

I love "Spiritual Love". So you should check that one out. The Joy Sales dvd coz it has decent subs and better picture. I bought lobby cards for the film years ago from Eastern Heroes shop, then sold them years later for a total of £9. I wish I hadn't done that. :(

Also, check out "All About Ah Long". drama

"Diary of a Big Man". It gets kind of hectic on the brain but it's fun.

I've seen "Dream Lovers" and "Love in a Fallen City" among others and I found them quite boring.

"100 Ways To Murder Your Wife" is ok.

"An Autumn Tale" is great, IMO.

"City War" is great.

What have you seen already?

TibetanWhiteCrane

I don't know what you deem the popular ones, but waste no time watching...

God Of Gamblers

Wild Search

Prison On Fire

I kinda liked Witch From Nepal.

And he's a really mean badguy in Scared Stiff...

Thanks for the replies to everyone. By popular, I meant his films with John Woo, God of Gamblers, etc etc. The really high profile ones.

'Also, check out "All About Ah Long". drama

"Diary of a Big Man". It gets kind of hectic on the brain but it's fun.

I've seen "Dream Lovers" and "Love in a Fallen City" among others and I found them quite boring.

"100 Ways To Murder Your Wife" is ok.

"An Autumn Tale" is great, IMO.

"City War" is great.'

I've seen Diary of a Big Man, 100 Ways To Murder Your Wife, and have the others mentioned except Dream Lovers and Love in a Fallen City.

I was wondering what people thought of the Romancing Star films.

I will try to get Spiritual Love. I also have Witch From Nepal.

I'm just trying to get all his films really, he was the coolest actor I ever saw in my younger years, and I was just wondering which of his films people liked. I thought he was great in Seventh Curse even with the limited screen time.

CYF had an utterly compelling "singing" role in Ann Hui's underrated THE POST-MODERN LIFE OF MY AUNT.

And one of his earliest lead roles in THE STORY OF VOO VIET for the same director shouldn't go unnoticed either....

Son Of A Gun

First off, I wouldn't say "Tiger on the Beat" is one of his lesser known films.

Second, I've not heard it panned. Who panned it and why?! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I like it too.

--

Thanks for the recommendation, Mark. That's one I haven't seen.

CYF had an utterly compelling "singing" role in Ann Hui's underrated THE POST-MODERN LIFE OF MY AUNT.

And one of his earliest lead roles in THE STORY OF VOO VIET for the same director shouldn't go unnoticed either....

That's quite an interesting suggestion. I have the second film but haven't seen it.

I think I have The Occupant- that's the one with Sally Yeh?

Has anyone seen The Romancing Star films, any opinions?

I like Tiger On The Beat, it's not as good as it could have been in my opinion but the ending makes up for it. Great cast, director, and everything but the start of the film seems a bit wasted.

Oh yeah, I have to recommend Treasure Hunt to anyone who hasn't seen it. It is a mish mash of genres but is very enjoyable if you go into it not expecting anything. Mostly a romantic comedy with elements of the supernatural and some decent action, too.

The kid in it is hilarious.

This is a site I bookmarked years ago, it concentrates on CYF's films:

http://www.nbi.com/hk/cyf/

Son Of A Gun

Anyone seen "The Eighth Happiness"?

I downloaded it but the subtitles didn't sync well at all and it looked like a nuts film. Not sure I can handle it.

I had an unsubbed version, too

Is that the one with the brief A Better Tomorrow parody or am I mixing it up with one of the Romancing Star films?

Guest Markgway

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Chow Yun-Fat is many things... a comedian isn't one of them.

Son Of A Gun

I disagree. Sometimes he can be very funny, and naturally too. He is pretty whacky when he wants to be.

But I will give The Eighth Happiness a miss.... for the sake of the children. :wink:

Guest Markgway
I disagree. Sometimes he can be very funny, and naturally too. He is pretty whacky when he wants to be.

But I will give The Eighth Happiness a miss.... for the sake of the children. :wink:

Hey, if you think Chow Yun-Fat is funny then you may enjoy Eighth Happiness... Don't let me put you off.

masterofoneinchpunch

I downloaded it but the subtitles didn't sync well at all and it looked like a nuts film. Not sure I can handle it.

I have a DVD of it. Very, very silly. At one point it was one of the highest grossing HK films (37,090,776 HKD). In a weird way I kind of liked it, I liked it much more than the other Chow Yun Fat/Johnnie To comedy The Fun, the Luck and the Tycoon (1990), but Chow's character is an effeminate womanizer whose personality in the film can be a bit (or more) ingrating. Though I think if you want to watch all of Johnnie To's films (and this is nowhere near his worst) you are going to have to eventually watch it :D.

I'll also state that All About Ah Long is worth watching (capsule review link):

Archived