Daniel Wu wants to produce new martial arts stars

DiP

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yi-Long

Nice. I hope he'll deliver on those ambitions, cause us Kung fu fans have been concerned for a very long time now about the lack of quality action movies from HK the last 15 years orso... with them casting popstars/idols instead of martial artists....

Heartwarming comments coming from one who I always hoped would go this way… Dan Wu has developed into an inimitable actor I have the highest respect for, been watching him since PURPLE STORM and GEN X COPS, he’s one of the few, whose films I almost habitually buy regardless of who directed them. His character roles especially in Derek Yee films are second to one (with ONE NITE IN MONGKOK, PROTÉGÉ and SHINJUKU INCIDENT being the standouts) and even though he’s never been casted in a “kung fu film” per se, he showed off his solid wushu background on a good number of occasions (love his fight scenes with JC in NEW POLICE STORY or with Aaron Kwok in DIVERGENCE amongst others… )

It is a major problem for the HK based MA industry that changing demographics and the attendant changing viewing habits conspire to marginalize the MA idiom and advance the rom-com-isation of its cinema culture. And yep, part of the dilemma is that the big guns are getting’ ol’, Ji-Dan’s also pushin’ 50 and still monopolizing every major new MA picture out there, Wu Jing’s still unable to find intelligently scripted (lead) roles and never seems to hit his stride. So new talent needs to be nurtured and the consciousness has to set in that, despite all those wonderful Wilson Yip efforts, KF films made in HK will become an endangered species if things stay the way they are.

ShaOW!linDude

This is great news to hear. I'm a fan of Stephen Fung, too. Hope their company performs according to their game plan. 10 - 15 films in 5 years is a pretty big benchmark to set for a fledgling company.

• Administrator

Daniel has always struck me as a cool dude. This news further solidifies my opinion of him. Hope he's able to make his plans come to fruition.

it's great news but really the likes of Jackie Chan and Jet Li perhaps even Donnie Yen should be holding their head down in shame that they aren't bringing On the next generation. It's hardly surprising that mainstream audiences don't care about Asian action movies when so much of it is a huge disappointment and that's the one starring the better talent, or at least was the Better talent. I feel quite negative towards Jackie Chan on this matter because he always had an exceptional Stunt team and I don't feel did enough to help those that made him look so great to succeed.I mean I was only enquiring about what happens to The winner of that reality martial arts series recently and they are not even doing anything beyond stunts and popstar crap.

it's great news but really the likes of Jackie Chan and Jet Li perhaps even Donnie Yen should be holding their head down in shame that they aren't bringing On the next generation.

Not Donnie. Donnie is the only one that has been giving the best opportunities to people from veterans to grown-ups and rookies. Sammo, Wu Jing, Yuen Wah, Xing Yu, Collin Chou, Fan Siu-Wong, Dennis To, Chen Zhi-Hui, Cung Le, Darren Shahlavi, Lo Meng, Fung Hak-On, Andy On, Kara Hui and Jimmy Wang Yu. Although irrelevant, he also gives his own stuntmen/action choreographers a shoot in front of the camera. Thanks to him, some of these actors he worked with have gotten their careers either started, gone off or revamped. Also, Donnie has mentioned several times in interviews that he's searching for talents himself before retiring so all hopes aren't put on just one guy like Wu.

I hope Wu has the knowhow to pick folks with certain qualities because just picking anyone who is trained in MA is too easy. Plus with both investors and audiences considered, it's a very hard task to bring newcomers to the spot. It takes time.

Archived