Where did the nickname "Beardy" originate?

66 Mantis

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The groundzero SHAOLIN KINGBOXER dvd states it was given to him by Jamaican fans. I guess Jamaica is part of the West Indies though.

This was the story I also heard and one Jamaican fan and member of the old message board KFF (Kung Fu Fandom) also mentioned this in a thread I started about the nicknames of the various kung fu stars and artists in various parts of the world.

Where I grew up in West Africa he was simply known as Ah Chi / Ah Chee ( you can guess why ) or Crazy in some territories.

The name Beardy was not popular.

I think it is now time to start such a thread on this forum.

A friend of mine used to be a projectionist in Accra Ghana he told m they called Beardy -wait for it "Guy Jesus" what a wicked nick name, he also said John Liu was called " Trust my foot"

A friend of mine used to be a projectionist in Accra Ghana he told m they called Beardy -wait for it "Guy Jesus" what a wicked nick name, he also said John Liu was called " Trust my foot"

Nice one shapes :wink: and I am not surprised. The city of Accra has a Christian majority and his appearance possibly reminds the people of the globally accepted " Jesus look "

Funnily after Shaolin Martial Arts was released (before the beardy image) he was simply known as " The Bruce Lee Guy " this didn't last long though.

John Liu was and still is known as " Master Foot "

Tan Tao Liang was known as " Kao Lin " don't know why maybe a character he played.

Yasuaki Kurata was " Foot In Town "

Ca Sa Fa didn't have a nickname

Chi Kuan Chun was " Borboh Pain " it is not that straight explaining this in English but it means something like - a super resilient person who can take a lot of physical abuse.He got this tag when Men From The Monastery was released and has remained with him to date.

Meng Fei was Fung Shi Yu

Fu Sheng was Fang Shi Yi ( I know;people can be creative )

Lui Chia Hui was known as Shine Head / Tolone (same meaning as Shine Head ) or in some areas Bald Head, Yul Brynner or Chinese Yul Brynner.

Chen Kuan Tai was and still is known as Man Of Iron no one refers to him by his real name.

David Chiang, Ti Lung and Wang Yu didn't have nicknames

Li Yi Min was Sa Sau Yi or something like that after his character in 7 Grand Masters; released as 7 Secret Rivals in that part of the world.

Chen Sing was and to this day is called " Brutal " after his character portrayal in Brutal Boxer.

Tsai Hung was Dog Mouth

Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao didn't have popular nicknames as such but Sammo was lovingly called " Da fat man " and Fat Dragon in some areas.

Chang yi was called Commander

Lung Fei was Brother Kam

Hwang Jang Lee was Golden Fox. Secret Rival Part 2 was far more successful than part 1 so the name Golden Fox stuck till this day.

Wong Ka Ta was stupidly referred to as David Lin in the early days.Luckily the David Lin directed movies starring Wong/Wang Ka Ta started waning and then we started seeing movies with him billed as Ka Ta Wong and Wong/Wang Chia Ta.

Luckily again the name was anglicised to Carter Wong which everyone accepted.

The Venoms were collectively known as, get this " Shaw Brothers " Five Venoms was not their first release in that area so the Venoms tag didn't stick.Individually they were referred to by their overall screen persona for example Lo Mang was " Trenk Man " meaning " The Strong One.

James Nam was Five Fingers

Dean Shek/Shek Tin was Teacher Li

Yuen Siu Tien was " Ol Meh " meaning Old Man

Shan Mao was Goat Beard

Chen Hung Lieh was Samura

Blackie Ko was Borboh Pain of the bashers

It"s funny to see my ex-boss (thank god) Rick Baker talking about the late nite era when he seemed to know nothing about it when I worked for him. He would always be telling people the wrong information in the Chinatown Eastern Heroes shop, when he wasnt wasting the shops profit on new Rolls Royces and Jaguar cars!!

But it is correct that all the nicknames come from Dave Sinkler and his late nite posse, Dave was a good friend of Toby Russell, and thru Toby I got to know him well and Dave is the number 1 late nite fan.

I met Beardy twice on the same day in 1996, along with Alan Tam and Teddy Robin Kwan when they came to London to play a charity football match against actors from a police T.V. drama called The Bill. Had to force my way into one of Chinatowns top restaurant Wong Kei to get his autograph on a Victim video sleeve I'd nicked from the shop. Saw him later and tried to get a photo but the flash on the camera failed and now I have a photo of two silhouettes instead!! Beardy was a nice guy and quite surprised I knew who he was.

No one has mentioned Chan Sing's nickname Prince Daglen or Lee Hoi San was Jamrag, Lau Kar Leung is Pops, Lau Kar Fei is Santa, Hsiao Hou is Mad Monkey , Hui Ying Hung is Auntie,Wilson Tong is The Foot Doctor etc, the main reason these nickname came about was in the 70's no one could read the Chinese cast lists to see who they were watching

No one has mentioned Chan Sing's nickname Prince Daglen or Lee Hoi San was Jamrag, Lau Kar Leung is Pops, Lau Kar Fei is Santa, Hsiao Hou is Mad Monkey , Hui Ying Hung is Auntie,Wilson Tong is The Foot Doctor etc, the main reason these nickname came about was in the 70's no one could read the Chinese cast lists to see who they were watching

Quite right; Hui Ying Hung was known as Auntie in some areas

Hsiao Hou was known as Monkey in my country of origin and

Wilson Tong was indeed Dr Foot

There were also nicknames for other players that I'll try to list as I remember.

By the way was Dave Sinkler that " Champion Kung Fu Late Nighter " guy who always shouted SHA ! SHA !! SHA !!! during all the fight scenes ? Man!!! that guy was something....lots of fun though.He tried his best to make the screenings lively and if I am correct he was the only fan given the honour by Rick of coming up stage and crowned the unofficial " King Of Late Night Kung Fu Shows " during Jet Li's first official? visit to London ( organised by you guys of course; when Dr Wai : Scripture Without Words, Fist Of Legend and Black Mask - Premier - was screened )

Yeah I remember that Jet Lee day, I'll never forget it longest day of my life. It was good Dave Sinkler got a bit of well deserved face, and was certainly more interesting that Jet Lee which would'nt be too hard. The only part I enjoyed was my teacher's Lion dance, at least I was too busy to have to suffer any of the movies on screen.

Lui Chia Hui was known as Shine Head / Tolone (same meaning as Shine Head ) or in some areas Bald Head, Yul Brynner or Chinese Yul Brynner.

Wasn't Lee Hoi San Shine Head?

18JadeArafats

One of my friends from the Dominican Republic was telling me Ti Lung was known as Ice-Ti . Have no idea how believable that is, esp. if the name came about bc one couldn't read the Chinese names.

Archived