Blog about the current state of Hong Kong films

DiP

ShaOW!linDude

That's pretty interesting.

Seems like some pretty strong-arm tactics to push 3D versions of Hollywood films. Any time you force-feed someone something all it does is induce regurgitation.

Can't understand why HK studios won't make more of an investment in their film properties. And even they aren't putting out quality MA films for their countrymen.

I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but it has become the black death for any MA movie that is not a romantic wuxia film.

Can't understand why HK studios won't make more of an investment in their film properties. And even they aren't putting out quality MA films for their countrymen.

Simple, it's the Hong Kong audience. Most are too spoiled and unintuitive for today's movies, which are breaking away from conventions, and rather stick to formulas that have worn out already. They forced investors and companies to relocate to China, seeing as how more friendly movie goers over there are.

Cognoscente
On 8/9/2011 at 3:38 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but it has become the black death for any MA movie that is not a romantic wuxia film.

CTHD also represented the shift from HK martial arts movies to Mainland fare.

I remember when it came out, there was a woman in my Lau Gar Kung Fu class who thought that it was the only martial arts movie to have a good story with substantial romance. Eventually, she was proven wrong when she saw the HKL DVD of New Dragon Gate Inn.

• Like 3