Eight Masters (1977) - Carter Wong

Gaijin84

Finished up doing a cast ID list for this film (not bad, classic Carter Wong) and stumbled across this super-nice widescreen original mandarin (no subs) version on youtube - anyone know where this originates from?

vxPFY92vbeI

W0GWOInkD00

lZ6wQsxszqQ

Would be a great project to link the existing dub/fan sub. My copy was from the Wu-Tang 8 Diagram Collection, cropped fullscreen and dubbed with a decent picture, but nothing compared to part 2 & 3 above. Almost compares to Celestial remaster quality on the Shaws.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaolin Chamber 36

I completely agree with you Gaijin84. Unless the German DVD already has the original English dub included? Can anyone please confirm this?

Thanks!

Carter Wong is one of the first persons whose movies I began collecting at the start of it all, I would love to see this mint version dubbed.

Shaolin Chamber 36

Silver Hermit, is the 8 Masters movie the same as the MIG Double Feature release, which also includes the movie The Tournament?

TheTournament-1.jpg

odioustrident
Silver Hermit, is the 8 Masters movie the same as the MIG Double Feature release, which also includes the movie The Tournament?

Yes, the MIG has about 10 min of cuts, but apparently none of the action has been removed.

Well, its been a while since I watched this… but what I remember is that this admittedly very pretty print of EIGHT MASTERS was so idiotically hacked to pieces by German censors that it becomes basically unwatchable. Meaning there are glaring gaps in story progression and logic, its all one jerky mess, the whole plot is just scampering from fight scene to fight scene. And, yes, the bonus on that attractively packaged NEW disc is the longer, supposedly uncut version. The PQ is acceptable but its full screen and the cropping is almost unbearable. I remember the prelude to one of the fight scenes where Carter Wong and his opponent facing each other in front of a wall hurling threats at each other… Well, you hear their voices but all you see is the friggin’ wall, both characters are completely cut out of the picture.

The censored version (but not the uncut one) was also included on a MIG DVD paired with THE TOURNAMENT. The F/S version on the NEW DVD does indeed comes with an an English dub which might be suitable for illiterates or those who principally refuse to stare at subtitles, but is otherwise hardly tolerable. Strangely enough the even more horrendous German dub sounds at times entirely different from the English one.

All this being said, I think of EIGHT MASTERS as nothing but a rehash of older Kuo pictures and definitely one of his weaker efforts. Still I find the DVD interesting from a purely historical "KF film culture" perspective, because it’s a good example to demonstrate how incredibly low the standards for rendering those kind of movies into other languages were at the time, what kind of liberties dubbers could take then, how they went through the motions and simply “re-imagined” (or rather hallucinated while “translating”) dialogue sequences or even entire plotlines.

nice for you that you call everyone illiterate who can't understand Mandarin Audio. i am sure YOU understand it perfectly, else you would not rant so much how dumb everyone else is.

maybe a Dub is the ONLY Option to watch the Film for some of us here? just maybe! - because i hardly see a Subtitled (or rather Flubtitled) Version anywhere around us...

have fun hating everything around you :)

My apology, Spannick, I made a mistake here. As I said, its been a while since I watched this and I thought the shorter W/S print had German and English subs. Wrong! Just checked the DVD again and noticed that there are only German subs (as opposed to some other NEW/Eyecatcher DVD’s). So for English speakers the dub is indeed the only option. Anyhow, since you apparently are German you’d have no problem to watch this in Mandarin – the German subtitles that go along with it are actually dubtitles.

Anyhow, both dubs are lousy as I stated, still I myself found it necessary to listen to the English dub of the bonus F/S print, else I would have not been able to come to grips with the plot in the last quarter of this film (the German dub of that long version still left me in the dark!). That only goes to show who mindlessly the W/S version was cut…

Besides, I have no misanthrophic tendencies and I’m not a Mandarin speaker myself (only had a private tutor in China for some time once…). But I do remember that I was really enraged when I first realized how badly this movie was butchered. If I’m hatin’ then its on the people who mutilated the supposedly 15 minutes shorter German “Kinofassung” (cinema print). And on the dubbers, of course.

Ok, to summarize the releases, we have:

1) US DVD - fullscreen and dubbed, not sure if cut or not

2) German MIG version w/The Tournament - widescreen, cut & german dubtitles

3) German ? version - fullscreen, uncut, German & English dubs

Damn, so no definitive W/S uncut Eng subbed versions? If I'm wrong on the specs about please let me know. Also, who put out the German uncut F/S version? Eyecatcher?

Also, who put out the German uncut F/S version? Eyecatcher?
No, as I said it was released by NEW (New Entertainment World), the same company that also put out THE VICTIM, SHAOLIN TRAITOR and SHAOLIN KUNG FU MYSTAGOGUE. I think the company folded some time ago...

NEW originally released the cut W/S print with the uncut F/S as a bonus - the MIG DVD appeared later if I remember correctly.

No, as I said it was released by NEW (New Entertainment World), the same company that also put out THE VICTIM, SHAOLIN TRAITOR and SHAOLIN KUNG FU MYSTAGOGUE. I think the company folded some time ago...

NEW originally released the cut W/S print with the uncut F/S as a bonus - the MIG DVD appeared later if I remember correctly.

ok - thanks, I'm not really familiar with the German companies.

Archived