El Gringo – Scott Adkins

blue_skies

I was just browsing Twich and don't remember anybody else mentioning it.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/07/scott-adkins-adds-el-gringo-to-list-of-upcoming-projects.php

Scott Adkins is main lead in \"El Gringo\" which is being produced by Joel Silver and After Dark films. The plot centers on an American who crosses the border into Mexico with a bullet in his arm and $2.3 million in cash, looking to head to Acapulco and retire on the beach. But he discovers quickly that his plan is easier said than done. It will be in the vein of Desperado and filmed in Baton Rouge.

Sounds like a promising movie and being produced by Joel Silver, it sounds like Adkins is finally climbing up the ladder to where he belongs.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Cool.

(Please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please! Let this be full of awesome MA!)

Seems like it's not the type of movie to show off what he can do. These big-budget hollywood producers NEVER get it right, so what would make this different?

I hear you, but I wouldn't imagine this is going to be a big budget production. I should imagine it's just a bit more polished than what Adkins has done sofar . On the other hand maybe it's just wishful thinking on my behalf, either way with better promotion and a limited Adkins showcase has to be better than they Van Damme ego trip making sure Adkins doesn't shine brighter than JCVD .

It looks pretty good, almost somewhat of a Desperado type of movie.

Exactly, yeah. I imagine it might get a little boring when the guns aren't drawn, but it looks like a fun time, for the most part.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay.....this is not the next type of movie I wanted to see from Scott Adkins. However....it does look to be a pretty good B-actioner. And the trailer did show a few instances of fisticuffs, so you never know....he still might boot a few people.....I'm just saying, you know, holding out a little hope.

And what is he thinking? Unless you're a local, you never, ever, never drink the water in Mexico.

Drunken Monk

I agree that it looks like a fair-to-middling action flick. Nothing special and certainly not what I want from Scott Adkins. But then if he's trying to break out from being typecast as the flippy, tricky, kicky dude then this might be a nice film for him.

Still, I'm awaiting "Undisputed 4!"

Scott has done some films that tend to be the opposite of his normal MA fare.

One perfect example was the horror film STAG NIGHT. He played one of four friends who after a bachelor party, find two girls on a subway station and the entire group is then forced to walk the subway tunnels when they face a band of mutants. In the trailer, sad to say, Scott gets one hell of a nasty death in front of one of the girls!

While I love seeing Scott Adkins Guyver Kick someone like the next man, its good to see him try something else. The movie looks like a lot of fun.

Trailer looks awesome, glad to see someone as talented as Scott making movies that are improving as he is, glad he's talking with his own accent too instead of an American or Russian one....if this is as good as Assassination Games I'll be happy.

Guest Yi-Long

Trailer looks interesting. Nice to see the guy getting some proper action-vehicles with a decent looking budget and studio/producer backing.

I'd much rather see him taking up the 'action guy' mantle, instead of Jason Steadham, who I find lacking in pretty much all departments.

Adkins is a talented guy who along with very impressive martial arts abilities brings with him a nice likability and charisma, as well as a natural talent for acting.

Just finished watching this movie and it was alright. It was kinda fun with some cool action pieces. The acting was uneven but it wasn't too unbearable. Scott did use some martial arts but never fully lets loose, but his hand to hand scenes were solid none the less. I give it a 6/10. It was nice seeing scott use guns and trying out some humor but the acting and unnesssary romance just seemed forced. In the end, no role seems to fit him like Boyka.

Guest Yi-Long
Just finished watching this movie and it was alright. It was kinda fun with some cool action pieces. The acting was uneven but it wasn't too unbearable. Scott did use some martial arts but never fully lets loose, but his hand to hand scenes were solid none the less. I give it a 6/10. It was nice seeing scott use guns and trying out some humor but the acting and unnesssary romance just seemed forced. In the end, no role seems to fit him like Boyka.

I picked up the BR for Undisputed 3 two weeks orso ago for 5 bucks, but haven't watched it yet. I liked Undisputed 2 although in that movie I didn't really care much for the Boyka character, so hopefully I will in this one.

stuntpeople

Just watched it last night and I can't say anything really good about it except Scott did everything he could to hold his character together. The hackneyed plot, music video editing and shaky camerawork during the fight scenes make it worse than even bad B films from the early 90s, and the lead actress who jumped in and out of her Mexican accent, even within a single dialog scene, just made us laugh. Scott does some gunplay, and there's one scene with some decent shooting action, but it's nothing special. The things we love about Scott seemed to have been banned from this production.

ShaOW!linDude

Welp, sounds like I'll be waiting for this to hit a movie channel and dvr'ing it. I'm interested in seeing it but I'm not wasting $ on it.

saw this on dvd at walmart today. picked it up for 10 bucks. seems to be a walmart exclusive...for physical stores at least.

they also had Stash House, one of Dolph Lundgren's new film. picked that up also :bigsmile:

@Jinha: Ha, Ha, I got mine at Walmart also I picked up Dragon Eyes instead of Stash House but I'm going to get that one also.

I saw the After dark Action line at wal-mart yesterday as well. Took awhile for them to drop to dvd. Box art made em all look older than they really are. Had that retro look to em.

OK I just watched El Gringo today, and it was a solid B-Movie, good storyline totally over the top action, I was like come on for real! It has some copycat moments of Desperado in it, when you watch it you'll know exactly which scenes I'm talking about. They even got the Girl to seem like a Selma Hayek replacement also. Overall I did enjoy it.

Just watched this tonight. Wow, this really is the definition of faux, post-Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez filmmaking. Quirky characters, most of whom don't even have actual names and who are introduced via titles splashed on the screen; super-hyper violence, especially during the big gunfight midway through the movie; a sex sequence after the Mexican love interest treats our hero's wounds feels like a rip-off of a similar scene in Desperado; and that wacky cut-away to Acapulco every time the city is mentioned...yeah, this movie wouldn't exist without the combined works of Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino. The fight scenes were just okay, but the aforementioned gunfight is phenomenal. It's so great, in fact, that even the filmmakers know they can't one-up it, so they don't even try. The movie just completely loses steam after Adkins and Christian Slater finally meet up. The strobe-light editing and shaky cam ruin many scenes, and if you want your sex scene to be as unerotic as possible, just film and edit it if it were an action set piece from a Bourne movie. Not bad, but not a classic.

On 03/11/2017 at 11:51 PM, DrNgor said:

Just watched this tonight. Wow, this really is the definition of faux, post-Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez filmmaking. Quirky characters, most of whom don't even have actual names and who are introduced via titles splashed on the screen; super-hyper violence, especially during the big gunfight midway through the movie; a sex sequence after the Mexican love interest treats our hero's wounds feels like a rip-off of a similar scene in Desperado; and that wacky cut-away to Acapulco every time the city is mentioned...yeah, this movie wouldn't exist without the combined works of Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino. The fight scenes were just okay, but the aforementioned gunfight is phenomenal. It's so great, in fact, that even the filmmakers know they can't one-up it, so they don't even try. The movie just completely loses steam after Adkins and Christian Slater finally meet up. The strobe-light editing and shaky cam ruin many scenes, and if you want your sex scene to be as unerotic as possible, just film and edit it if it were an action set piece from a Bourne movie. Not bad, but not a classic.

You have sold it to me @DrNgor, one title I always get mixed up with the Mel Gibson come-back film Get The Gringo.

Archived