The Devils Temple (1969) review

waywardsage

waywardsage

So I finally got to watch the Devils Temple! It's a samurai film directed by Kenji Misumi and starting Shintaro Katsu. Here's the description:

An abandoned temple in the mountains outside of the old capital city of Kyoto is the scene of a fated meeting between a traveling priest, two women, and a vicious killer, known throughout Japan as "Mumyo no Taro". Katsu Shintaro is brilliant as the young lord, turned thief in this stunning masterpiece from filmmaker Misumi Kenji. Bloody violence erupts whenever strangers approach the temple. Can the traveling priest bring his belief in the Buddha and rid the three temple residents of the devils that hold their souls? A one of a kind motion picture!

It was a good film. It really tackled the inner demons we all have within. Greed, jealousy, violence, self loathing, etc. Shinaro Katsu does a good job as a tortured ex-lord who's obsessed with the woman Aizen and won't ever leave her. Aizen is a succubus-like women who has destroyed Katsu's former clan by pulling him away from his duties as lord and drawn him away from his wife.

It's not an overtly action packed storyline. There's only one sword fight in the beginning. But, as a morality play, it's a good change of pace from the standard action flick.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was definitely different from any other samurai film I've seen. The description sold it as a "One room" samurai film. And while it didn't entirely take place in one room, the vast majority of it was in one location, the temple.

It was more of a morality tale. It wasn't action packed. It was cool to see Shintaro Katsu in a different role. Actually, this role feels strangely similar to the one he played in Incident at Blood Pass, (A personal favorite of mine.)

I found a copy through a friend. The quality was decent. It was in wide screen. Overall a bit like an old film on DVD.

Archived