Best Takashi Miike Films?

DeathFuMaster

DeathFuMaster

I have seen Ichi The Killer, IZO, and the Audition and I'm planning on watching 13 Assassins soon. I'm also interested in the Black Society and Dead or Alive trilogies. Anyway I have looked at some of his other films and there are just so many of them to choose from. So I put the question to you guys (or girls), what are some of the best Takashi Miike directed films?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
punchingonpaper
I have seen Ichi The Killer, IZO, and the Audition and I'm planning on watching 13 Assassins soon. I'm also interested in the Black Society and Dead or Alive trilogies. Anyway I have looked at some of his other films and there are just so many of them to choose from. So I put the question to you guys (or girls), what are some of the best Takashi Miike directed films?

Good question, sir. Of those you named, I think I'm the biggest fan of AUDITION, with ICHI a close second. FUDOH: THE NEXT GENERATION is a lot of fun if you've not seen it. Then again, I like Miike's off-the-wall films like OSAKA TOUGH GUYS (a bit of comedy) and THE BIRD PEOPLE IN CHINA. Though strange and not entirely action-oriented, it is probably my favorite film of his. Some great quiet moments and unexpected comedy.

DeathFuMaster

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely try to check those out. I watched Graveyard of Honor, 13 Assassins, and Imprint on Netflix over the last week. They were all great movies. I also bought Bodyguard Kiba 1 & 2 and One Missed Call. I plan on watching those soon. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Visitor Q is good, its shocking, gross and a little funny too.

City of Lost Souls is worth a look, its a little cleaner and more mainstream than his other efforts but the Miike madness is still in there.

Happiness of the Katakiouri's is one of my favorites, dark musical comedy with the usual WTF moments.

The first Dead or Alive is awsome, the less you know about it the better, I saw it in the theater (as well as the previous two listed here) and it blew me away.

Zebraman's on Netflix too. A nice tribute to the old school toku shows like Kikaida and Kamen Rider

punchingonpaper

Ah, you're welcome. My pleasure. I totally agree with Inframan on HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS, which is quite possibly Miike's strangest film, and that's saying a lot! ZEBRAMAN is also worth a look. THE GREAT YOKAI WAR is a fun update on Japanese mythology, but the CG leaves a bit to be desired.

One Armed Boxer
Ah, you're welcome. My pleasure. I totally agree with Inframan on HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS, which is quite possibly Miike's strangest film, and that's saying a lot! ZEBRAMAN is also worth a look.

The guys over at cityonfire recently posted reviews for both of these:

The Happiness of the Katakuris -

http://www.cityonfire.com/the-happiness-of-the-katakuris-2001-review-takashi-miike/

Zebraman -

http://www.cityonfire.com/zebraman-2004-review/

Morgoth Bauglir

Deadly Outlaw Rekka is a must if you like gangster movies and rock and roll. I'm not really a fan of Miike but Rekka is one of my favorite movies.

As a admitted Miike fanboy this is an awesome question. Picking some titles not already mentioned

The Man In White. Pretty straight up Gangster Flick

Ace Attorney - If you play the game its tears from laughing funny. If not its still hysterical

The Mole Song - Zany Yakuza comedy

Like a Dragon

Lesson of the Evil _ A Must see. May be his best film since Audition.

ZATOICHI-STAGE PLAY

Directed by MIIKE and stars Aikawa Show as Ichi. One of the greatest live action stage shows I've ever seen. Aikawa Show is incredible as Ichi and all swords used in the production were real.

samuraidvd.com

A tough movie to find that was really good was "Sun Scarred"  It's definitely worth tracking down, signature Miike curveballs and great suspense!!

• Administrator

Writer Marc Walkow, who is extremely well-versed in Japanese cinema and often produces special features for DVD/BD releases of genre titles, recently published an article called "Takashi Miike's 10 Best Films, From ICHI THE KILLER To AUDITION" at IndiWire. It's a great read!

Here's the link: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/takashi-miike-best-films-ranked-ichi-the-killer-audition-1201891351/

Archived