Fave War movies

Guest Carl Jones

Guest Carl Jones

WHERE EAGLES DARE...totally ridiculous but fantastic anyway! Burton and Eastwood made a great team, pity it was a one-off!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest italdesign

My family is all about War movies. From my grandpa to my uncle, everyone in my (extended) family loves those things. And of course there's me who likes martial arts movies (which not a single soul I know in real life does).

There was one particular Western war movie that got clawed into my scull, but I have no idea its name. It looked to be about WWII or WWI.

Does Predator count???

I've been watching war movies obsessively... taped almost everything Turner Classic showed during "war week" and have been buying stuff hand over fist on DVD.

Favorite of all time... Apocalypse Now. That's pretty much my favorite movie ever made, anyway. Complete genius and actually improved on Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness."

Other major contenders, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gates, All Quiet on the Western Front... I'm forgetting a million of 'em. I'll kick myself later...

Most recent one watched: Stalingrad. Very good, but I shouldn't have watched it right now, because it's already freezing here and that movie will make you cold anyway...

Guest lemming

Das Boot has to be one of the best war movies...

Other ones might include(the havent been mentioned)

A Walk in the Sun

Gallipoli

The Longest Day

The Beast(underrated movie about a soviet tank(and crew) in Afghanistan)

Das Boot is *excellent*... I forgot about that one, but it definitely deserves a top spot. The second half of that - where the sub's lost power and is sinking way past the water-pressure zones that it's checked out for and is about to implode, and the air's running out - is probably the most intense, nerve-wracking bit of film ever made.

A Walk In The Sun is also great. You can tell that Saving Private Ryan was influenced heavily by that one. Full of great little character touches, like the guy who's always bumming cigarettes... :)

The Beast - like Rambo III - is now kind of ironic. Ah, yeah, back in the days when we were buddies with the Afghanis... :) I also reccomend Three Kings, which people should watch as a reminder about how we goofed up in the first Iraq war and might want to re-think a second one just a little bit...

A couple more that I need to re-watch are Dawn Patrol (1938) and Ace of Aces (1933)... I have this weird fascination for any kind of WWI biplane-dogfight movies...

Guest Highcalm

I'm a big fan of these oldies:

Dirty Dozen

Patton

Tora Tora Tora

and Bridge Over the River Kwai.

a recent fav. was Black Hawk Down,

which I've watched three times already!

Guest fu sheng

my faves:

Saving Private Ryan

The Longest Day

A Bridge Too Far

Patton

And well... the first half of Full Metal Jacket is fantastic and memorable, the second half neither IMHO.

Guest GerardH

Platoon- this is my favorite by far. Oliver Stone did an excellent job on this film and even today almost 17 years later, the movie is still amazing.

And well... the first half of Full Metal Jacket is fantastic and memorable, the second half neither IMHO.

I've always felt that the second half could have been a little better but I did enjoy it though.

Other favorites:

In Harm's Way

Guest KC Woman

I loved the nonlinear way of storytelling. The cinematography was beautiful, and Jim Caviezel is a really fine actor. Sean Penn was terrific as the sargent. Well, for the most part, terrific performances from nearly every member of this ensemble cast.

Guest gimpusmons

"An entire world at war and I'm not in it? God will not permit this!" - George C. Scott as General George S. Patton in Patton (1970)

This is my personal favorite without a doubt. The script, co-written by Francis Ford Coppola (interestingly enough) is a work of genius. Here are a few more of my favorite lines:

"When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do."

"Thirty years from now, when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you, 'What did you do in the great World War II,' you won't have to say, 'Well... I shoveled sh*t in Louisiana.'"

Other war favorites (in alphabetical order) include:

> Band of Brothers (HBO miniseries)

> Black Hawk Down

> Braveheart

> The Bridge on the River Kwai

> A Bridge Too Far

> Charge of the Light Brigade

> Das Boot

> The Dirty Dozen

> The Final Countdown

> Gallipoi

> Gettysburg

> The Guns of Navarone

> Henry V

> Kelly's Heroes

> Lawrence of Arabia

> The Longest Day

> The Sand Pebbles

> Saving Private Ryan

> Stalingrad

> Waterloo

> Zulu

Mark Pollard

www.kungfucinema.com

Guest rudolph

A Farewell to Arms (1932) - more drama than anything else

Gung Ho! (1943) - a load of jingoistic crap as they say, but they touch on self-defence and martial arts enough to be interesting to die-hard martial arts fans

Immortal Battallion (1944) - fine British film which once again shows that nothing ever changes, if you listen to how these men complain about the strict military ways

Saving Private Ryan (1998) - have to be viewed in cinema, a landmark that is mostly misunderstood, making violent copies just don't work

Braveheart (1995) - oh yeah, an action movie with swords and mel gibson

Joan of Arc (1999) - a technical masterpiece with some comic-book philosophy which is ultimately interesting

Shot through the Heart (1998) - very good tv-movie about the horrors of the recent European wars

Heroes Shed no Tears (1990) - what people do to survive

Band of Brothers (200?) - excellent WW2 action-drama

The 13th Warrior (1999) - vikings and antonio banderas killing people who may be enchanted, not as bad as they say

Casualties of War (1989) - good film about how empowering the war can be to weaklings

Three Kings (1999) - good satire

Starship Troopers (1997) - the ultimate war satire as only Paul Verhoeven can make

Life is Beautiful (1998) - starts as a misleading comedy and then quickly turns into a very sad depiction of WW2

Good Morning, Vietnam (1987) - my favorite Robin Williams comedy, commentary on war

What is the bloodiest pre-50's war movie around? Currently Gung Ho! (1943) receives the prize, but I'm sure some people went much further in the 7 years leading up to 1950.

www.filmsite.org/warfilms.html - A must read about war movies through the centuries!

Guest harvest4

1 Flying Tigers

2 Sands of iwo Jima

3 The green Beret

4 A Bridge Too Far

5 Midway

6 Memphis belle

7 The Longest Day

8 Schindlers List

9 Khartoum (Classic) Charleston Heston film

10 Bat-21

Those were my top 10 fave War Movies

Guest rudolph

I recently watched The Lost Battallion (2001). The best WW1 action movie I've seen. It's "only" a tv-movie, but the production is like that of Band of Brothers, very high. Action fans will enjoy this one, I surely did!

Guest andyovan

My Picks:

Saving Ryans Privates

Braveheart

Stalag 17

Deer Hunter

Apocalypse Now

Bridge on The River Kwai

The Great Escape

Guest eskimo225

MGM put out a buttload of war movies i wanna see.

Off the top of my head:

'Uncommon Valor'

'Hambuger Hill'

'Dirty Dozen'

'Full Metal Jacket'

'Platoon'

'Bridge On the River Kwai'

'84 Charlie Mopic' - Sometimes boring but an interesting film. I think Blair Witch Project ripped off this movie.

'The Beast' - remember that guy getting run over by the tank? Hamburger meat.

'Soldier of Orange' with Rutger Hauer is a decent WWII film. The DVD is worth getting, especially if you're a fan of Rutger Hauer or Paul Verhoeven.

Might i recommend getting these DVDs?

'WWII Stories 12 Movies & Documentaries' Set from Brentwood $12 - 8 movies and 4 1 hour documentaries

www.dvdlister.com/title.d...5s31523cu/

'Great WWII Movies' from BFS aka American Home Treasures $5.50 - Walk in the Sun, A/We Dive at Dawn/The North Star

'Legendary WWII Movies: Gung Ho!/ Go For Broke!/ Immortal Battalion' from BFS $5.50 - 'Gung Ho!' is on the Brentwood set. 'Go For Broke' & 'Immortal Battalion' can be bought individually on other DVDs.

'Classic World War II Movies 3 On 1' Also from BFS but has 3 different movies Aerial Gunner/They Raid By Night/The Steele Claw $5.50

www.dvdlister.com/title.d...4q317e4eT/

I bought them all from Deep Discount DVD awhile ago but they may have stopped stocking some of those DVDs.

Originally i got em for myself but when my dad saw em, he was all "Where did you get these!". He then went into a 1 hour rant about popular these B&W films were back in the Philippines. Then he went on about how the US military & General Douglas MacArthur saved the Philippines from the Japanese, Bataan Death March & the Filipino guerillas in his parents/grandparents village protecting them from the Japanese...all very informative/cool to hear. I think he was very happy to see these films again cause he took them to watch with his American Legion Post buddies.

Guest morpheus49017

It may only marginally qualify as a "war" film in the truest sense, but Three Kings was a terrific and hugely underrated movie. Dark humor at it's best....

Guest sharpei

platoon

apocalypse now

full metal jacket

enemy at the gates (the critics didnt like it)

the deer hunter (although it drags at times)

blackhawk down

bridge over the river kwai

Archived