best versions of drunken tai chi and the young master?

shelliegal

i need some help...

i'm looking for the best dvd versions available for donnie's drunken tai chi and jackie's the young master.

anyone have any suggestions? tia!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Young Master..

Difficult to say. HKL is a good release but it suffers from that horrible distortion and focus issues that seem to be in every transfer.

I have the HKL, and the joysales for the great exclusive outtakes footage.

sifu iron perm

channel 4 showed the cantonese version, i forgot if it had a alternative soundtrack?

TBH i love the orig English dub..makes it more hilarious plus the music was a plus!

Oh there is the version that had a scene referenced to sammo..?

muppetdanny
channel 4 showed the cantonese version, i forgot if it had a alternative soundtrack?

Does it?:ooh: I have this on tape along with "Project A2" and "Police Story 3: Supercop".

TBH i love the orig English dub..makes it more hilarious plus the music was a plus!

This website might help you shelliegal: http://hkfanatic.com/jackie/movies/ym/ym_info.php

Oh there is the version that had a scene referenced to sammo..?

This is from the Taiwan print : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081499/alternateversions

ZFZbh0NsveU

I think the Channel 4 version just had the 'montage' intro with all the photos of Jackie joined together. I remember I had that film on VCD after that, but it didn't have it.

Don't remember any soundtrack differences.

muppetdanny
I think the Channel 4 version just had the 'montage' intro with all the photos of Jackie joined together. I remember I had that film on VCD after that, but it didn't have it.

Don't remember any soundtrack differences.

Sort off. Channel 4 did a season of JC films in late August 1999. They showed Police Story 2 and 3: Supercop, Project A 2 and The Young Master. Each film had a special intro about the movie and Jackie's life (mostly taken from JC My Story).

Son Of A Gun

There is no montage opening on Young Master on any version. Are you thinking of the closing of the film? That sounds like what you described. And it's on all versions.

The different soundtrack he was referring to was probably the difference between the International english dub version and the original HK version. Channel 4 aired the usual HK cut.

I'm gonna be making a custom edit of the old english dub version later this year. It will be longer running time than you're used to since I have a Japan television version which was less cut than the UK and USA versions. It includes extended Jackie vs Whang In Sik fight amongst other things.

muppetdanny
I'm gonna be making a custom edit of the old english dub version later this year. It will be longer running time than you're used to since I have a Japan television version which was less cut than the UK and USA versions. It includes extended Jackie vs Whang In Sik fight amongst other things.

Can't wait for this custom edit:tongue:

sifu iron perm
There is no montage opening on Young Master on any version. Are you thinking of the closing of the film? That sounds like what you described. And it's on all versions.

The different soundtrack he was referring to was probably the difference between the International english dub version and the original HK version. Channel 4 aired the usual HK cut.

yo my brother..put me in the front line.

This is one of my fave Jackie films,i know there are quiet alot of differances between international and chinese version.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Did Drunken Tai Chi aka: Tai Chi Master have two different intro music in the beginning??? I might be wrong but the intro song that I heard was completely different than the one I saw on Ocean Shores and all the other formats....

Think im gonna pass out man

The best version of Drunken Tai Chi that I've found is the Panmedia. It has Cantonese audio and burned-in English subtitles though the image is somewhat interlaced.

I can't say I'm too disappointed with my Fortune Star version of Young Master.

If you are looking for legit releases of Drunken Tai Chi on DVD try to track down the UK Eastern Heroes release (probably what Pan Media used to steal from).

It's widescreen, has both the Cantonese with English subs and an English dub, as well as a bunch of extras like: deleted scenes, interview with Donnie, and a very weird "Follow The White Abbot" feature that turns on a little "White Abbot" avatar at certain times in the movie that allows you to play some scenes in slow-mo.

Sort off. Channel 4 did a season of JC films in late August 1999. They showed Police Story 2 and 3: Supercop, Project A 2 and The Young Master. Each film had a special intro about the movie and Jackie's life (mostly taken from JC My Story).

Just found a couple of intros on youtube, I loved that proggramme:wink:

uZiE8g9PLws

1A-2OArNL5c

I also remember those guys back before I had the Internet, they were the only way to find out about cult movies. Great stuff.

Secret Executioner
If you are looking for legit releases of Drunken Tai Chi on DVD try to track down the UK Eastern Heroes release (probably what Pan Media used to steal from).

It's widescreen, has both the Cantonese with English subs and an English dub, as well as a bunch of extras like: deleted scenes, interview with Donnie, and a very weird "Follow The White Abbot" feature that turns on a little "White Abbot" avatar at certain times in the movie that allows you to play some scenes in slow-mo.

Certainly sounds like a way better release than the very simple "English dub only" I have on the Flying Fists Of Kung Fu set. Still a really enjoyable film. :nerd:

And now we have the Japanese Extreme edition blu ray of The Young Master that includes the upscaled HK print, Japanese theatrical in true HD and the Taiwanese print in SD.

sifu iron perm
And now we have the Japanese Extreme edition blu ray of The Young Master that includes the upscaled HK print, Japanese theatrical in true HD and the Taiwanese print in SD.

with the OG english dub?

Which of these versions play with the english dub? And what differs the 3 version mentioned above?

sifu iron perm

The Young Master Japanese blu ray does not contain the classic 80's eng dubbing.

Archived