The Woman Knight of Mirror Lake (2011)

BaronK

Finally got to watch this and can’t help but chime in with the euphoric reviews of KF Bob and others. This film is a blast, beautifully directed, sensibly casted (wonderful déjà vu with Pat Ha after way too many moons!), fantastic use of historic locations (in Anhui and, I think, in Shandong) and spiced with some slamming OTT action sequences by Leung Siu Hung. And that terrific Xiong Xin Xin / Dennis To showdown almost equaled the Donnie Yen / Hui Ying Hung bout in WU XIA – and that’s sayin’ something!

Sad to add that the K & R Blu Ray is a something of a letdown. PQ is adequate at best, subs are programmed too fast and are often difficult to read, the opening historical explanations remain untranslated, the highly interesting “Making Of” feature is almost VHS quality and unsubbed. No comparism to that stunnig Universe BD of Yau’s recent THE LEGEND IS BORN – IP MAN (where even the extra feature was subbed). This film simply begs for a better representation, so maybe the upcoming R1 issue could be worth the wait.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Hey, I can boast my Si Gung made this film...

Whoah! Who is he/what's his name? And what do you mean "made this film"? In what capacity bro? Director? Producer? Please tell us more. :nerd:

Good movie, really well put together & liked the way all different sides & character motivations were explored & expanded upon rather than just painted b&w. Bit multifaceted & somewhat impartial - there's a rarity in this genre.

Right on.

One of my friends (you know who you are!) has been chiding me over the fact that it's "too much talk" (fast forward fodder to him) and "not enough wall-to-wall fighting". :smile: I get what he wanted. But for me, this film is just right.

Finally got to watch this and can’t help but chime in with the euphoric reviews of KF Bob and others. This film is a blast, beautifully directed, sensibly casted (wonderful déjà vu with Pat Ha after way too many moons!), fantastic use of historic locations (in Anhui and, I think, in Shandong) and spiced with some slamming OTT action sequences by Leung Siu Hung. And that terrific Xiong Xin Xin / Dennis To showdown almost equaled the Donnie Yen / Hui Ying Hung bout in WU XIA – and that’s sayin’ something!

Yes yes yes. :bigsmile:

Sad to add that the K & R Blu Ray is a something of a letdown. PQ is adequate at best, subs are programmed too fast and are often difficult to read, the opening historical explanations remain untranslated, the highly interesting “Making Of” feature is almost VHS quality and unsubbed. No comparism to that stunnig Universe BD of Yau’s recent THE LEGEND IS BORN – IP MAN (where even the extra feature was subbed). This film simply begs for a better representation, so maybe the upcoming R1 issue could be worth the wait.

Oh? :ooh: That's a shame. The Funmation R1 release of THE LEGEND IS BORN – IP MAN looked beautiful to me. I certainly hope the R1 release for WOMAN is up to par. Is it being released by Funmation or Well-Go?

Anyone know the release date off hand?

kung fu bob

I think peringaten is talking about Sin Kwok Lam, producer of this movie, and Ip Man Legend is Born, pupil of Lau Kar Leung.

Just watched the movie finally tonight, cheers youtube, very good film....nice to see KMT heroes and heroines getting some face....wonder when they'll start making movies about what the P R O C did to them later on??!! Shame Dennis didnt do more action, coz that scene with Clubfoot was excellent. Liked the Girl's Cum Na Sao work, when she disarms the white guy and his lads.

Still prefer Ip Man the Legend is Born though....

If this is as good as everyone says it is, I'll be picking it up.

Me too. I've been getting excited reading glowing review after glowing review. Can't wait for the Funimation release.

Black.Dragon

Not many know that this film is actually remake of the classic film " Fury of King Boxer " with Jimmy Wang Yu staring in the same role played by young Ip . Check out the original if you can.

One Armed Boxer

I watched this for the first time a couple of nights ago, & the fact that it took me a few days to post my thoughts is a fairly good indication of my feelings towards the movie...for me it was a solid effort, but I didn't feel the same level of enthusiasm as some other members on here.

Book ended by two great one-on-one fights both featuring Hung Yan Yan in a rare return to the spotlight, for whatever reason I didn't really find myself particularly caught up in the goings on in between, although that's not to take away from what's undoubtably a very well made movie.

Tonight I'll subject myself to more female action in the form of 'Legendary Amazons'!

I watched this for the first time a couple of nights ago, & the fact that it took me a few days to post my thoughts is a fairly good indication of my feelings towards the movie...for me it was a solid effort, but I didn't feel the same level of enthusiasm as some other members on here.

I am with you on that one. It didn't blow me away. Too much drama and I find that the story drags and drags. The action is good. The movie is well made but I like more action, less drama. Simple question of taste.

daisho2004

OK I picked up this movie yesterday and watched last night, I thought it was an excellent movie. It wasn't a full blown out M.A. movie but the fight scenes it did have were very good. Seeing Hung Yan Yan in it was a real treat and he looked just bas good as ever. I hope to see him in some future M.A. movies as well.

Watched it recently for the first time as a movie. Didn't care for it. Came off as a picture about the rise of women's right during that era. That's fine but it played in a way that didn't bring me in. The out of chronological order is a story choice and it in some ways hampers story connection. It really felt long and probably would have been better served as a straight drama/history picture, rather than throw in the action part. Like IM Final Fight, neither is at it's heart a martial or action picture, yet that is how the picture is expressed to the potential viewer. Sometimes a picture is strong in itself where the mind doesn't wonder when the action is coming. This felt like i was being made to sit through everything just to get to it. Huang Yi was fine but It just dragged.

Also like IMFF, the one one one action is the best and I find all of the rest unimpressive. Sloppy actors doing whatever doesn't work in either picture although I love some Tone Leung SH.

Eh again.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I'm surprised I never hear anyone talking about this one anymore. A serious, no bullshit movie with a strong story, great acting, and top-notch kung fu! You can buy the official R1 release Blu-ray on eBay for $10.00 with shipping included! http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=The+Woman+Knight+of+Mirror+Lake&_sacat=11232 What are you waiting for? :tongue:

As with IP MAN: THE FINAL FIGHT I wasn't entirely happy how WOMAN KNIGHT turned out to be. The idea of portraying an early chinese feminist is certainly great and quite unique, Huang Yi is a strong lead and is capable of conveying her character as well as she is capable of kicking men's butts. But the the story unfolds pretty slowly and never actually builds up tension and suspense, the episodic structure doesn't help either. Herman Yau's ambitions and ideas seem to be bigger than his skills which is too bad since many of those ideas - like adressing social issues - are sadly missed in most Chinese mainstream movies nowadays.

Despite my criticism I agree with Kung Fu Bob: WOMAN KNIGHT is a worthwhile watch that you should not miss if you are interested in a martial arts-movie with a more realistic and relevant story.

Archived