The Woman Knight of Mirror Lake (2011)

BaronK

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anthony Wong and Crystal Huang as the titular character, a real life revolutionist named Qiu Jin.

qiu+jin+poster.jpg

qiu+jin+weibo3+vs.jpg

(Real Qiu Jin on the left and Crystal Huang on the right)

Honestly, the movie doesn't interest me in any way, shape, or form. Not interested in having to sit through that just to see some action by TL and to see To Yu Hang.

Though its not likely to change, I'm tired of the dramas with some action formula.

If its as good as Ip Man 3 it will be excellent, Dennis To should be a bigger star and the fighting from the trailer looks proper grounded shapes.

Hey. If you think you've seen some kf onscreen lately, you haven't. Nothing like this has been done since Bangkok Knockout. Long takes. Good clean, camera work, good inclusion of wires when used. Good hard fighting that is sometimes bashing, sometimes simple, sometimes dope. There's gun, weapons, hand to hand. Nice wire stunts.

Hung Yan Yan steals the show, or I should say Tony Leung makes him look like a monster. He looked washed up under Nicky Li and Shaolin was a waste. He and To Yu Hang have a fight that is like an old school end fight. It's about them. It's long. It's got long takes and goodness. It shows their skills as screen fighters as opposed to the camera and editing being the fight.

From the trailer the action looks ok but not, hey you have to see this. When it plays in the movie, you're getting a drama/kf movie. I mean serious choreography. Tony Leung(without Sammo) strikes again!

Just watched the action. Totally agree about Xiong Xin-Xin, he was off the hook. It's like Tony Leung Siu Hung wanted to save the best for him and slept on everyone else involved because of Xiong's unmatched skills and experiences. Somebody should give him A-grade fighting roles (come on Donnie, work with him again)! That said, everything else, while decently shot and done, wasn't as intense and gratifying. I admire everyone in the cast for looking convincing but whenever Xiong appears things get hectic.

If its as good as Ip Man 3 it will be excellent, Dennis To should be a bigger star and the fighting from the trailer looks proper grounded shapes.

There is a Ip Man 3! Time to make a trip to the local retail store.:khi1j:

The fight in the second You Tube clip above was pretty fantastic. The trailer didn't allude to the action being that crisp at all. Ok, so the wire-assisted moments were bloody ludicrous but it didn't dissuade me too much.

And it's not every day you get a film in which someone fights with double bayoneted rifles, without actually firing them!

• Administrator

Okay, so I didn't like the movie's title- it just didn't appeal to me- so I never bothered reading this thread before. But I sure am glad that I did now! :tongue: This looks fantastic! Clubfoot is back!!! :nerd: Dennis To is definitely impressing the hell out of me too. Loved him in THE LEGEND IS BORN- IP MAN and can't wait to watch this one.

Tony's action choreography has always been great, but in the past decade he's improved in leaps and bounds! Awesome stuff.

Bit late on this i know, but just watched it and thought it excellent in most departments, good story, the lead actress is great in the role and the fights are fantastic. Especially the end battle between Dennis To and Hung Yan Yan who definitely steals the show. The non-linear way the story is told may confuse and put some people off, but if your someone

who enjoyed Bodyguards and Assassins you will like this also.

• Administrator

I watched this tonight. And... BOOM! This film blew me away.

I went into it strictly looking to enjoy Tony Leung Siu-Hung's action choreography. What I didn't expect was to be completely swept up in an incredible, inspiring, at times heart-breaking story (somewhat loosely based on real people and events). Crystal Huang is phenomenal in this. Her acting skills are supreme and her action is every bit as good. Dennis To was impressive again after his turn as the young Ip Man, and even the tiniest roles were played to perfection. An A-Class film with drama to match the impressive fight scenes.

Somehow, despite a few larger-than-life wire stunts, Tony managed to infuse the action with a realistic sense of danger and urgency while showing us the kind of hand to hand kung fu that we all want to see. I dropped Tony a line to say that this is his best work yet. I told him that he finally brought Hung Yan Yan (aka. Xiong Xin-Xin) out of the darkness to show his best work in 17 years! Sure Hung has had some good moments since his days as Clubfoot in the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA series, but nothing like this! Tony said that his favorite bit of action on this film was when Crystal fought Hung Yan Yan. Well, I must have watched that fight about 5 times before I could continue letting the movie play.

Overall, this film is, IMHO, excellent. I may be writing this too soon after watching it to be totally objective. But when a movie has jaw-dropping, real-skill performers showing what they're really capable of in a story with drama and acting that had this guy's eyes overflowing... it gets a 9 out of 10.

My thoughts exactly Bob, i am surprised this has not had more praise on here, Hung Yan Yan definitely steals the show.

Overall, this film is, IMHO, excellent. I may be writing this too soon after watching it to be totally objective......

i hear ya one that one.

2nd viewing usually makes it all the more transparent.

i for one would label this a "very solid" movie. straight 7/10 material. compared to "the other recent martial drama infused with politics" (bodyguards & assassins), it falls a little behind imo.

story arc, dramatic build up, atmospheric tension... is just better handled in B&A.

in a nutshell- i thoroughly enjoyed the martial mayhem, the movies`plot devices/drama elements i didnt care that much about.

but theres always repeat viewing & with WKOML, im really looking forward to that.

Hey, I can boast my Si Gung made this film, & To Yu Hang is my Si Sook... noticed they managed to slip a bunch of Choi Li Fut & a couple hung moves into the choreo very nice; stuff they train regardless. Good movie, really well put together & liked the way all different sides & character motivations were explored & expanded upon rather than just painted b&w. Bit multifaceted & somewhat impartial - there's a rarity in this genre. So much improved on Young Ip - that really sucked imo, ninja brothers & ridiculous whatnot, so glad they avoided such silliness here & worked throughout intellectually & classily. More to come from this studio, Sin Kwok Lam runs it, talk of a hung based film in the works. Strength to strength me hopes.

Archived