Sony Chiba's greatest period-pieces.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I have been re-watching many of Sony Chiba's period-piece masterpieces.

Sony IMO is one of the greatest actors and directors of this aspect of Japanese cinema.

I would like to hear of your favorites movies in this style that Sony made.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shogun's Samurai (aka Yagyu Clan Conspiracy) and Samurai Reincarnation (aka Makai Tensho) are two of Chiba's best period flicks IMO.

I always preferred the WEGA

Tell that bitch who sent you how sorry I am I can no longer be her friend.

I've always thought Chiba-san was at his best in Japanese period films and TV shows. Not only is his larger than life persona perfectly suited for noble samurai and lethal ninja roles, but his skills with a sword (which are second only to the great Tomisaburo Wakayama) far outweigh his karate skills. His greatest role is without question Jubei Yagyu which he played an amazing 96 times on screen (2 feature films, 91 TV episodes, 1 TV movie, 2 direct-to-DVD movies), as well as on stage (in the theatrical version of "Samurai Reincarnation"). All in all Chiba appeared in 30 period movies (11 feature films, 11 TV movies, 8 direct-to-DVD movies), and 300 hour-long period TV episodes playing samurai, ninja, or yakuza.

My personal favorites are "The Yagyu Conspiracy" (both the film and TV series), "Samurai Reincarnation", "Yagyu Jubei Abaretabi", "Shadow Warriors III", "Shadow Warriors II", "Shogun's Shadow", "Hunter in the Dark", "Tokugawa Buraicho", and "Takeda Shingen".

I've always thought Chiba-san was at his best in Japanese period films and TV shows. Not only is his larger than life persona perfectly suited for noble samurai and lethal ninja roles, but his skills with a sword (which are second only to the great Tomisaburo Wakayama) far outweigh his karate skills.

I don't know, Chiba might not be the flashiest guy but you can tell he has real skills and some serious power, I'm not sure how updated this list is -

Ninjutsu - 4th Dan

Goju-ryu karate - 2nd Dan

Judo - 2nd Dan

Kendo - 1st Dan

Shorinji Kempo - 1st Dan

Kyokushin karate - 4th Dan

I've always thought Chiba-san was at his best in Japanese period films and TV shows. Not only is his larger than life persona perfectly suited for noble samurai and lethal ninja roles, but his skills with a sword (which are second only to the great Tomisaburo Wakayama) far outweigh his karate skills. His greatest role is without question Jubei Yagyu

chanbara: Great Post!

I've always thought Chiba-san was at his best in Japanese period films and TV shows. Not only is his larger than life persona perfectly suited for noble samurai and lethal ninja roles, but his skills with a sword (which are second only to the great Tomisaburo Wakayama) far outweigh his karate skills. His greatest role is without question Jubei Yagyu which he played an amazing 96 times on screen (2 feature films, 91 TV episodes, 1 TV movie, 2 direct-to-DVD movies), as well as on stage (in the theatrical version of "Samurai Reincarnation"). All in all Chiba appeared in 30 period movies (11 feature films, 11 TV movies, 8 direct-to-DVD movies), and 300 hour-long period TV episodes playing samurai, ninja, or yakuza.

My personal favorites are "The Yagyu Conspiracy" (both the film and TV series), "Samurai Reincarnation", "Yagyu Jubei Abaretabi", "Shadow Warriors III", "Shadow Warriors II", "Shogun's Shadow", "Hunter in the Dark", "Tokugawa Buraicho", and "Takeda Shingen".

I agree. I much prefer Chiba in his samurai/ninja TV series & movies than his karate movies.

Archived