Haywire (2012)

Karlos

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good action and cast wise. I'm very relived that she doesn't look fat like in all the pics they released. :bigsmile:

ShaOW!linDude

Agreed! I'm really surprised at the acting talent in this movie. The choreography is looking sweet and Carano really sells the fights.

Boys......we may have the next Cynthia Rothrock here.:xd:

1x3iTXEUTDg

1080 hd

Damn that looks good. Surrounded her with actors and the action looks real good. Cleanly shot and wide. No Greengrass here. Thick soundfx.

Just found out who the fight choreographers are for the film: J.J. Perry, Jonathan Eusebio, and Jon Valera. Don Tai worked on reshoots as fight choreographer

I'm going to watch this tomorrow but it's had pretty lukewarm reviews and little else. Hopefully it'll be worth it.

Watched this today and liked it. Gina Carano is so good in this role, she could be a big action star.

What Colombiana and Killer Elite did NOT deliver, this film did. Good fights, well shot.

In the opening fight with Tatum, the camera just pulls back and shows it. No music, no editing frills. It's like you are there at the diner watching it all go down. The last fight is unfortunately bad, but that's only because Steven Soderbergh is too obsessed with his style. He REALLY wants you to know they are fighting on a beach during a sunset.

There is some 70s throwback appeal in the music and some extended camera shots. Short attention spans may have a problem with this movie.

I would recommend it, though.

froffeecoffee
Watched this today and liked it. Gina Carano is so good in this role, she could be a big action star.

What Colombiana and Killer Elite did NOT deliver, this film did. Good fights, well shot.

In the opening fight with Tatum, the camera just pulls back and shows it. No music, no editing frills. It's like you are there at the diner watching it all go down. The last fight is unfortunately bad, but that's only because Steven Soderbergh is too obsessed with his style. He REALLY wants you to know they are fighting on a beach during a sunset.

There is some 70s throwback appeal in the music and some extended camera shots. Short attention spans may have a problem with this movie.

I would recommend it, though.

Definitely recommend it also. Even though the fight scenes were brief, it at least made you want more.

Story and characters elevated it from being a typical B-Level action flick. Short attention spans will definitely be moaning about more action, which I wish it had more of.

This is will certainly make Carano an action star on the rise!

Somebody please team her up with Scott Adkins or cast her in The Expendables 3!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Just got back from seeing this and for those who have not seen it yet or decide to in the future, make sure to watch this in the comfort of your own home... Couple of reasons why it's better to view this at home than on the big screen.. Of course you'll have to wait until it hits dvd in order for you to watch it at home (insert Sarcasm)..

1. This might be the quietest movie that I've ever sat through in a movie theater, I can hear the sound from next door auditorium. This is a very mellow movie... A little too much of an intimate setting for my movie going experience...

2. It feels very much like a TV movie, the movie of the week on lifetime channel as you will, It's rated R a very weak R...

3. The musical score is very nicely put a retro throwback to the 60's/70's espionage type fare I can play this music while enjoying a nice meal and a glass of wine...

4. After the fight scene with Michael Fassbender at the hotel room, everything went stale and flat like diet coke... Seriously that fight scene was bone smackin/glass shattering wall slammingly goodness..

5. If you seen Contagion and though it was a snoozefest, you have been warned going into this movie, it's not so much a yawn compared to Contagion but the way Soderberg shoots his scene and addition to the elevator music, it's so soothing you want a nice warm cocoa and a blanket...

Honestly, I can't believe I paid money for this or even saw it and theaters. Gina Carano had no charisma at all and most of the supposed "names" the movie boasts seem out of place and just as bored as i was. The movie was so badly paced and the brief lackluster fights did not come close to saving it. Fassbenders fight was decent, but thats the only positive thing I can say. It seems like they tried to make a more realistic feel with the lack of music in the fights but to pull that off you need intensity and a hell of a good choreography. In my opinion this movie should have been direct to dvd. I was practically begging for this to end. Skip it.

An action movie for critics who don't normally like action movies?

It's more of a thriller than an action film, in all honesty. Or at least that's how I felt.

It's more of a thriller than an action film, in all honesty. Or at least that's how I felt.

Well I was nowhere close to being thrilled. :tongue:

Well I was nowhere close to being thrilled. :tongue:

I have qualms with it (the tedious early black and white slow motion "action scene" was insulting to the viewer) but, all in all, I quite liked it. I'm not exactly eager to watch it again but I did feel Carano showed potential and, with the right director, I'd like to see her become a more solid action star.

In fact, just cast her in "Undisputed 4" and I'll be a happy man.

An action movie for critics who don't normally like action movies?

Again, it depends on your attention span. Every action scene has a slow build to it. Kind of like what QT did in Inglorious Basterds. In that movie, I remember how QT kept building up that shoot-out in the bar. For Haywire, I thought this worked well, except for the last fight, which was bad. As for Carano, come on, she's awesome. She needs to be in big budget movies. I wasn't looking at her Charisma...

Just kidding, she was great. Especially for her first big movie.

Just watched the blu-ray last night, was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much, but:

1) Gina was good in the action scenes, but she can't act at all. Not that I was expecting Meryl Streep, but it was glaring in some of the slower dialogue-driven scenes.

2) Fight scene with Fassbender was excellent, fight with Magic Mike was ok, fight with Ewan McGregor on the beach was terrible.

3) I really liked the chase scene in Dublin when she is being pursued by the special forces (?) police.

4) Dave Holmes soundtrack was great as usual.

5) The use of Michael Angarano and the car escape to explain the previous stories felt really forced and his character didn't make any sense. Mid-way through I thought he was going to end up being another agent because his involvement was otherwise unexplainable.

Overall worth a rental, but didn't break any new ground. Not convinced yet Carano could carry an entire movie without a quality director and supporting cast again.

One Armed Boxer

Ok, I got through watching this one over the weekend, 3 years after everyone else it seems! I only checked it out based on the fact I was pleasantly surprised by 'In the Blood'. The fact that 'Haywire' had a bigger budget, bigger names, and supposedly bigger fights pretty much ensured I was going to seek it out.

Sadly, for me it was a huge letdown. As I'm probably the only person who watched it on the basis of her performance in 'In the Blood', I will say that Carano's acting has improved immensely, like off the charts improved, in just 2 years. In her latest movie she shows a great range - upset, vulnerable, happy, overjoyed, angry, dangerous - in 'Haywire' she's about as one note as an actress could possibly be, delivering her lines from start to finish in the same monotone fashion. It was like watching a different actress.

The promise of 'Haywire' having much stronger action was also only partially met. One of the reasons I'd previously sited as not bothering to check it out was that I found the idea of a final fight between a trained MMA professional and Ewan McGregor to be entirely laughable. I was right, it was horrible. Thankfully the initial fight with Channing Tatum did get my attention - the impact of it, the way the music suddenly dropped out and simply let the sound effects of the fight do their thing, and the brutal efficiency of it - the execution was perfect.

There's no buildup on this though, with the whole movie lacking any single "Wow!" action moment. There's a brief scuffle with a special forces unit in a laundry room which shows some promise, but is over in a matter of seconds. Salvation does come in a mid-way one-on-one, the only extended bout in the entire runtime, when Carano takes on Michael Fassbender in the confines of a hotel room. It's long and brutal, and is exactly what the movie needed more of, a lot more of.

Perhaps the biggest thing wrong with 'Haywire' though is leaving it in the hands of director Steven Soderbergh. The story goes that he saw Carano in action when she was still in the competitive MMA scene, and there and then was that impressed he decided to make a whole movie based around her. But really, expecting Soderbergh to make a decent action movie is a bit like asking Chang Cheh to make a female-centric romantic comedy, the two just don't go together. Worse of all, he enlists his regular composer Dave Holmes to create the soundtrack, and seems to have told him it's another 'Oceans Thirteen, Fourteen (wherever it's up to)' flick, scoring every action scene with some mellow jazz funk crap, which is as about as appropriate as watching the finale of 'Drunken Master 2' scored to Taylor Swift.

The first flashback scene to the kidnap rescue attempt should be pulse poundingly exciting, instead it felt like I was stood in an elevator. The music damages 'Haywire' to a point of being beyond repair.

As it is, I still don't think Carano has been given the action vehicle she deserves. Take the fight from the hotel room from this movie, the showdown against Michelle Rodriguez in 'Fast & Furious 6', and the sexy as hell nightclub beatdown from 'In the Blood' - throw them all into one movie, then maybe we'll have something worth watching.

ShaOW!linDude
Ok, I got through watching this one over the weekend, 3 years after everyone else it seems! I only checked it out based on the fact I was pleasantly surprised by 'In the Blood'. The fact that 'Haywire' had a bigger budget, bigger names, and supposedly bigger fights pretty much ensured I was going to seek it out.

Sadly, for me it was a huge letdown.

Wow, and I was sure you'd like it. My bad. But then I thought Wuxia sucked.

I rather liked Haywire. It's supposed to be kind of a lean, arthouse action movie. I dug it. I'd rather throw on Police Story or a Hwang Jang-Lee movie, but I dug it.

Archived