Action Comedies

dog8food

I enjoy a kung fu flick with a side of cheese every now and then. Here's what I've watched (and really enjoyed) lately:

City Hunter

Wheels on Meals

Dragons Forever

Kung Fu Scholar

Treasure Hunters

Royal Tramp

Aces Go Places

Shaolin Soccer

What are some of your favorites?

Lady is the Boss,

Buddhist Fist (old School),

The early Lucky Stars films, but especially with the original English dubs, and Winners and Sinners in particular.

there's a lot more I can't remember right now.

Not modern but...

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Crazy Tiger, Dirty Frog

Return of the 36th Chamber

Mystery of Chess Boxing has some hilarious parts

Dirty Ho

Just some of the top

My Young Auntie <----- very fun/funny. Superb action.

Skinny Tiger / Fatty Dragon <--- blends brutal action and black comedy really well

Naughty Boys <------ Silly humour, massive stunts

Inspector Wears Skrts <------- Great action and fun spirited comedy

The Champions <----- Jaw dropping Kung Fu/acrobatics, and soccer! A nice comedy too.

And a personal favourite, no matter what people think

Don't Give A Damn <------- Off the hook slapstick comedy/action (doesn't care who it offends)

Shanghai Express -- My friends didn't like this one, but I love it.

My Lucky Stars -- Just a perfect Action Comedy, hilarious and with great action.

Winners and Sinners -- Also very funny with a good finale.

Return to 36th Chamber -- Can watch over and over again.

Sometimes these films go too over the top though. In regards to City Hunter, it's just too goofy for me, even though there's good action here. I've tried to like this one, but I just can't.

What about comedy stars? Of course Jackie Chan and Sammo are up there, but others that give me a good chuckle are Stephen Chow, Bryan Leung Kar Yan, Dicky Cheung, Fu Sheng.

Sometimes these films go too over the top though. In regards to City Hunter, it's just too goofy for me, even though there's good action here. I've tried to like this one, but I just can't.

I know what you mean. I went through a stint where I couldn't stand the extreme slapstick, but then it slowly grew on me. :squigglemouth:

Aces Go Places 2 and Dragons Forever are my favorites. When I think of 80s Hong Kong action comedies, those are always the two that come to mind. I think both are perfection.

emeraldforest

MY WIFE IS A GANGSTER 3 with Shu Qi is one of the funniest movies i have ever seen :) some fine fighting scenes as well!

Contour – low-budget, top action and tons of laughs.

I'll second Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon.

I watched the trailer for Contour based on your recommendation and it looks great! I may have to track this one down.

I watched the trailer for Contour based on your recommendation and it looks great! I may have to track this one down.

:tongue:

Contour's well liked around here I'm sure you'll enjoy.:xd:

ShaOW!linDude

Go to the Stunt People's website. You can check out their other stuff, too.

Go to the Stunt People's website. You can check out their other stuff, too.

I did. And I purchased Contour. I loved it! I just wish it could've been a little higher quality (for the sake of the amazing fights), but I know there was nothing they could do about that.

ShaOW!linDude
I did. And I purchased Contour. I loved it! I just wish it could've been a little higher quality (for the sake of the amazing fights), but I know there was nothing they could do about that.

Good deal! I encourage you to get the rest of their stuff. The only other problem you'll have is that they're too short. Would've been sweet if they'd stretched a couple of them out another 30 mins.

I would add their movie Undercut to this category. It's corny as all get-out but you can't help but laugh in places. Great choreography, too!

I'm glad you enjoyed it.:bigsmile:

I'm glad you enjoyed it.:bigsmile:

Big thanks on the recommendation. I don't know how I miss these things sometimes. I'll be keeping up with these guys from now on.

Big thanks on the recommendation. I don't know how I miss these things sometimes. I'll be keeping up with these guys from now on.

you're welcome. have you seen the teaser trailer for their new film due next year "death grip"?

you're welcome. have you seen the teaser trailer for their new film due next year "death grip"?

I did. Looks awesome. These guys are on my radar now, so I'll definitely be keeping up with Death Grip.

Contour – low-budget, top action and tons of laughs.

I'll second Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon.

Still trying to find Skinny Tiger, but I did watch Sammo's "Odd Couple" and it had me rolling! And before that I watched a movie he directed "The Victim" and it thoroughly tickled my funny bone as well... not to spoil anything, but there's a Chinese bath house fighting scene in it! Rediculous!

Still trying to find Skinny Tiger, but I did watch Sammo's "Odd Couple" and it had me rolling! And before that I watched a movie he directed "The Victim" and it thoroughly tickled my funny bone as well... not to spoil anything, but there's a Chinese bath house fighting scene in it! Rediculous!

For comedy, I'd say Skinny Tiger is better than both those films. The Victim is an undeniable classic though fights wise, Odd Couple I was never a real fan of, Mars really creeps me out in that film for some reason.